2017 recruiting thread,

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Hunter Maldonado donated $50 to Josh's go fund me page. I love that our coaching staff brings in high character guys!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote: The last two Wyoming teams that had NCAA tourney success utilized the fast break and had a depth of quality post players. Brandenburg did it better than anyone I can remember. We had a half court offense, but those teams would run on you and created excitement in the building. Josh Davis, Marcus Bailey and friends weren't afraid to get up and down the court either. Both of those teams won games in the dance.

That's not the only thing they have in common though. Both of those teams played in front of packed houses while they we're in Laramie.

Edwards is going to run and he has length, quality, and depth. I can't wait.
Very true. That Bailey/Davis team could create their own buckets too. Sure there was a half court set, but Bailey was a floor general. Dude straight created buckets. That can be said for many members of that team though. Donta, Straight, Uche (poop I just mentioned Uche and UCHE was dope!!!), and of course Josh DAVIS!!! Those dudes could all just score buckets on their own and working together poop, it worked real nice. It took em a little time to get fully on the same page but it turned into straight Poke's magic.
I'm excited to see how the fan base responds to a higher tempo. I know the landscape of college athletics has changed and that attendance is down around the country. Still, I think there will be an upsurge of attendance due to a more entertaining, high tempo, product. I love the old school Shyatt style(could watch it all day), but even I am excited about using our length and depth to pressure/run people out of the building.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

It's just an exciting time in recruiting for us! Best part is it's happening right now as we type this out. If we get one of those major dudes...man we'll be loaded on one side of the ball or another. A loaded front or backcourt does wonders in the college landscape. I mean if we got Bey we'd probably finally dominate boards in games. Could you imagine us out rebounding SDSU??? I've been waiting like 14 years for that or something....it's been a damn long while.
Riding High!!!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Looks like a solid player. With so many offers, it's pretty cool he's taking an official visit to us.

It still makes me nervous that we don't have a true point guard lined up after Lieberman leaves. With not many 2017 spots available, I want to see more point guards receiving offers and taking visits with us.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Kind of a funny-looking jumper, but it sure seems to go in a lot. Looks like a really nice player.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Reminds me of this guy, but with a better vertical :)
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:Reminds me of this guy, but with a better vertical :)
BETTER VERTICAL!!! My ass! :lol: :cool: ;)

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Honestly watching Mack reminds me of Jimmer Fredette :lol:

They are both from New York and Mack kind of has a shot like Jimmer's and moves like Jimmer when he is driving. Not saying he would be anywhere close to as good as Jimmer but if he was I would like for him to be in a Wyoming uniform. :thumb:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

Yes, Mack looks like he can shoot very well. Now go back and watch how long it takes him to get his shot off and look how low the ball is when he releases it. He will struggle with long athletic teams like SDSU. I know, I know, a lot of kids struggle with teams like SDSU, but if we are really trying to improve our length and speed, I don't see this kid in that mold. To me, he reminds me of Aka Gorski but with a better first step. He gets to the rim ok, but he never really protects the ball, its out there with one arm extended for a long time. He will struggle against better athletes IMO.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wiley wapiti wrote:Yes, Mack looks like he can shoot very well. Now go back and watch how long it takes him to get his shot off and look how low the ball is when he releases it. He will struggle with long athletic teams like SDSU. I know, I know, a lot of kids struggle with teams like SDSU, but if we are really trying to improve our length and speed, I don't see this kid in that mold. To me, he reminds me of Aka Gorski but with a better first step. He gets to the rim ok, but he never really protects the ball, its out there with one arm extended for a long time. He will struggle against better athletes IMO.
Have you ever seen JMac shoot? He is the exact same way and he torched teams this year from deep... Granted, he has worked his behind off adjusting and making his shooting motion more efficient but his is still very long and starts low
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

Have you ever seen JMac shoot? He is the exact same way and he torched teams this year from deep... Granted, he has worked his behind off adjusting and making his shooting motion more efficient but his is still very long and starts low
Ha!!! Yea I have, and it looks nothing like J Mac. I never said this Mack kid started his shot low, I said, his release was low. J Mac releases the ball a whole ball width above this guys release. If you disagree, great, I don't really care, but this Mack guy and J Mac's shots are not even in the same area code as "looking" like each other. This guy and Aka Gorski make J Mac look like Steph Curry when it comes to quick releases. There is a reason why some kids look like the worlds best three pt. shooters in high school, then can't seem to find the rim in college. Its not because they somehow suck now, it's because they had time to get their shots off comfortably in high school. In college, they will have to make a change and some kids can ( J Mac) and some kids struggle (Aka Gorski). In My Opinion, this kid will struggle until he can quicken and raise his release. Maybe he will, maybe he wont, time will tell. This kid is Aka Gorski with a better first step...but that is not saying he wont develop into a better player than Aka Gorski.

Also...one more point, J Mac did NOT torch SDSU. As a matter of fact, he really struggled against SDSU because of his slow release. This guys is even slower than J Mac's, will probably struggle as well....
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wiley wapiti wrote:
Ha!!! Yea I have, and it looks nothing like J Mac. I never said this Mack kid started his shot low, I said, his release was low. J Mac releases the ball a whole ball width above this guys release. If you disagree, great, I don't really care, but this Mack guy and J Mac's shots are not even in the same area code as "looking" like each other. This guy and Aka Gorski make J Mac look like Steph Curry when it comes to quick releases. There is a reason why some kids look like the worlds best three pt. shooters in high school, then can't seem to find the rim in college. Its not because they somehow suck now, it's because they had time to get their shots off comfortably in high school. In college, they will have to make a change and some kids can ( J Mac) and some kids struggle (Aka Gorski). In My Opinion, this kid will struggle until he can quicken and raise his release. Maybe he will, maybe he wont, time will tell. This kid is Aka Gorski with a better first step...but that is not saying he wont develop into a better player than Aka Gorski.

Also...one more point, J Mac did NOT torch SDSU. As a matter of fact, he really struggled against SDSU because of his slow release. This guys is even slower than J Mac's, will probably struggle as well....
Oops my bad, I misread your original post.

I never said he torched SDSU.

And we can agree to disagree. I look at JMac's HS video and it looks very similar to Mack's video. This isnt a bad thing. I think Mack could be a great player.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

After this entire thread, and I just reread it....it's epic, we're still in the mix for Parker and Hunter.

Call me selfish, but I want us to over-sign this year and get both of them, knowing we're going to have attrition at the end of the season.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Hearing what the recruits are saying when they leave Laramie makes me proud to be a Wyoming basketball fan.

Anthony Mack was impressed with Laramie, to say the least.

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 6ba9b.html

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I wonder if Hunter went to the football game last night? That was a damn blast.

The football team did their part to help basketball recruiting. Opening day was an encore performance by the football team.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Hunter Thompson is a Poke. He always sings,

National Champions 1943.

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

2017: The Year of the Hunter
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo