Branch an option for the Wisconsin job?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

They'd be dumb not to consider him. I think the only place we lose him to though is potentially when Smith retires from Ok State
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Hopefully we can step up to keep Branch.

Bryce Meredith should be Branch's successor. I really hope he gets some sort of GA/Assistant position for next year because we need his leadership, maturity and drive in the wrestling room.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:25 pm Hopefully we can step up to keep Branch.

Bryce Meredith should be Branch's successor. I really hope he gets some sort of GA/Assistant position for next year because we need his leadership, maturity and drive in the wrestling room.
Wouldn't be surprised, didn't Alfonso get that sort of position the year after he graduated?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyokoke wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:50 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:25 pm Hopefully we can step up to keep Branch.

Wouldn't be surprised, didn't Alfonso get that sort of position the year after he graduated?
Yes, I believe so. Bryce can help elevate Montorie into a National Champ IMO. It's almost a no brainer for Branch to really try and keep Bryce with the program next year; however, Bryce may have different plans of his own and I am sure he will be successful in whatever he chooses.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

If Branch leaves, which I hope he doesn't because he's been a god-send for this program.. but Joe LeBlanc is available.. has coached at Indiana, Brown, and Northern Colorado since leaving UW.
ImageImageImageImage
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm If Branch leaves, which I hope he doesn't because he's been a god-send for this program.. but Joe LeBlanc is available.. has coached at Indiana, Brown, and Northern Colorado since leaving UW.
Has he been a head coach yet or just assistant stops? Either way I agree he should be in the running when Branch leaves
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyokoke wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 pm
MrTitleist wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm If Branch leaves, which I hope he doesn't because he's been a god-send for this program.. but Joe LeBlanc is available.. has coached at Indiana, Brown, and Northern Colorado since leaving UW.
Has he been a head coach yet or just assistant stops? Either way I agree he should be in the running when Branch leaves
I don’t believe LeBlanc is even coaching in college anymore. He has never been a head coach. Great competitor for Wyoming, but I don’t think he should be considered.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 31 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 pm
I don’t believe LeBlanc is even coaching in college anymore. He has never been a head coach. Great competitor for Wyoming, but I don’t think he should be considered.
Guy who has been a college assistant at multiple stops, and a three-time All-American shouldn't be considered, but guy who has not even graduated college should be? That would be throwing Bryce into the deep end of the pool without floaties.. being a coach is more than just coaching. It's recruiting, it's fundraising, it's being a father figure to wrestlers.. hard to do that role when you've barely taken off your singlet and traded it for a tie.

:? :?
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 pm
Guy who has been a college assistant at multiple stops, and a three-time All-American shouldn't be considered, but guy who has not even graduated college should be? That would be throwing Bryce into the deep end of the pool without floaties.. being a coach is more than just coaching. It's recruiting, it's fundraising, it's being a father figure to wrestlers.. hard to do that role when you've barely taken off your singlet and traded it for a tie.

:? :?
I didn’t say Bryce should be head coach now. I said he should be given a position on the staff now GA/assistant and some day he would probably be a great successor to Branch.

If Branch were to leave now (which I highly doubt), a national search would probably be required.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Rumors around Wisconsin are that they have made a decision and that is is one of: Ben Askren, Chris Bono (South Dakota State HC), and Doug Schwab (Northern Iowa HC). If true, Branch is out of the talks there and there is a 2/3 chance we lose a strong coach from one of the other Big XII programs.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:23 pm Rumors around Wisconsin are that they have made a decision and that is is one of: Ben Askren, Chris Bono (South Dakota State HC), and Doug Schwab (Northern Iowa HC). If true, Branch is out of the talks there and there is a 2/3 chance we lose a strong coach from one of the other Big XII programs.
Pretty amazing what Bono has done at South Dakota State..
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Looks like Bono got the job
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Yep, Bono is the guy. While Askren may have been the flashy hire, this is probably the safer option for Wisconsin.