Pacific Tigers

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

they seem to make the NCAA tourney quite often, wonder if there'll be any crowd or students there tomorrow, I'm planning on going and hoping the Pokes are truly firing on all cylinders. Be there if you can!!
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Can't make it with a sick 5 month old otherwise we would be there. They have been a near bottom dweller in a very good WCC the past 3-4 seasons. This definitely one we should win. Interestingly JayDee Luster is an assistant.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Didnt we lose to them last season.... Or Shyatts last season... We lost to them recently I believe...
wyoair
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm Didnt we lose to them last season.... Or Shyatts last season... We lost to them recently I believe...
Yep, 2016 we lost 73-65 at their place. That year they finished 11-22 and 4-14 in conference play.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Do we stand a chance?
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

I went to the game this afternoon. Overall Pokes played solid. Defense was decent lots of forced turnovers. On offense shot selection was better than the last few games but still too many bad three point shots early in the shot clock. When they did move the ball and attack the rim they did get allot of good looks. Probably one of their better games overall.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We look good vs average teams.. only at home though. Herndon epitomizes this. He looks and plays so well in situations like yesterday. Why Gorski plays more than Adams I'll never understand. Adams looks like the best player this year to me.

Good win. Go Pokes! Keep it rolling and maybe I'll be surprised in conference
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:36 am We look good vs average teams.. only at home though. Herndon epitomizes this. He looks and plays so well in situations like yesterday. Why Gorski plays more than Adams I'll never understand. Adams looks like the best player this year to me.

Good win. Go Pokes! Keep it rolling and maybe I'll be surprised in conference
Gorski should be a bench momentum guy. If he missed 2 three pointers, pull him. If he hits, ride him until he’s off. He’s a liability on D
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:34 pm I went to the game this afternoon. Overall Pokes played solid. Defense was decent lots of forced turnovers. On offense shot selection was better than the last few games but still too many bad three point shots early in the shot clock. When they did move the ball and attack the rim they did get allot of good looks. Probably one of their better games overall.
I watched the game online. Posters who know more about this team can answer a few questions that came to mind watching yesterday's mess.
1. Why does Gorski play so much and why does he have a green light to shoot at will?

2. Why is Hayden Dalton allowed to shoot 3's other than when the shot clock is winding down?

3. Does Allen Edwards have something against setting screens in the low post?

4. Isn't Justin James our best player? Why don't we set screens and run plays for him? Or is it better to watch Cody Kelly and Gorski and Dalton throw up 3's?

Just my impression: We won't win consistently with such half assed offensive sets. Too many players who can make 3's but never consistently and never on the road have green lights to shoot. The offense should run through James and Herndon and Maybe Dalton for inside and mid range shots. I like Adams going to the hoop. Maldonaldo is a terrific passer who could run this team better than Kelly. I think the pieces are there but they aren't being utilized very well.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:34 pm I went to the game this afternoon. Overall Pokes played solid. Defense was decent lots of forced turnovers. On offense shot selection was better than the last few games but still too many bad three point shots early in the shot clock. When they did move the ball and attack the rim they did get allot of good looks. Probably one of their better games overall.
I've seen the Pokes play a few games this season and I've noticed a couple of things. At times during the game, the Cowboys get lazy. There is little movement in offensive sets and they just toss the ball around and then launch a three. I believe this laziness stems from the Pokes getting tired. I noticed during the Pacific game that Wyoming was the team that looked gassed. All of the Pokes were hunched over at times, grabbing their shorts and gasping for air while the Pacific kids looked just fine. I saw the same thing last year and questioned the conditioning of the basketball team. If Wyoming wants to tout the High Altitude Training Center perhaps they should try doing a little of that themselves. It isn't like they run things like Nolan RIchardson and his "4o minutes of hell." If they were going at that pace I could understand getting gassed like they do, but there is a poop load of standing around panting and not a lot of movement on the offensive end of things. This staff needs to take a serious look at the conditioning aspect of this program. :twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

After watching many games and seeing the SC game in person, it’s apparent this team needs to hop on the back of JJ and go for the ride. Our best offensive weapon is often our 3rd or 4th option. Gorski should play 5 mins a game. He isn’t consistent enough to have on the court. Lou Adams with James are our best perimeter defenders. If he can tone it down a little on his reckless drives to the hoops, he can be a tremendous asset to our team. He can single handedly take the opposing teams 1,2 or 3 guys out of the game. Kelly had his best 5 mins of his career to open the Pacific game. He drain two threes, took two charges and had a rebound. He had put the Kelly Vs Redding argument to bed for the time being. It’s been pointed out that he doesn’t do well against taller, more athletic guards. When this happens, I would use James at point. The two major X factors to me on this team are Moemeka and Maldonado. Both have HUGE upside. Both need more confidence and time and will flourish. This team by tourney time could be a major spoiler. Please Anthony Mack Get well soon. We need you!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 am
2. Why is Hayden Dalton allowed to shoot 3's other than when the shot clock is winding down?
This is the only one I can answer. Dalton is a 41% 3 point shooter, which makes him our best 3 point option along with Adams. In the 9 games we've had that weren't against Denver, he's shooting 46% from 3.

I'm just fine with him and his green light.

Gorski's 30%? A different story.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:06 pm
This is the only one I can answer. Dalton is a 41% 3 point shooter, which makes him our best 3 point option along with Adams. In the 9 games we've had that weren't against Denver, he's shooting 46% from 3.

Couldn’t agree more! Dalton has a couple of shake your head turnovers here and there, but shoots the ball well, rebounds well and is a decent defender. Gorski’s major role is to drop 3’s, and isn’t very good at it. If this were a company, Dalton would be promoted and Gorski would be in the mail room
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Dalton is such a good rebounder and he's got some inside moves. When's he's missing that 3, he can't rebound. It just seems that the entire team shoots too many 3's without looking for a better shot first.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Aka Gorski is capable of one thing and one thing only...... scoring points from the perimeter..... when he's actually hot. He's slower than cold molasses on defense, and a liability handling the ball. He needs to be a 5 minute per game player off the bench if his shot isn't dropping, and if he come's in and hit's a couple, then play him 20-30 depending on the situation. But games where his shot won't drop, he shouldn't see the light of day because he brings nothing else to the table.
Adams definitely should get a lot more burn. Maldonado too, just to have more athleticism on the floor.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Vt poke wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Couldn’t agree more! Dalton has a couple of shake your head turnovers here and there, but shoots the ball well, rebounds well and is a decent defender. Gorski’s major role is to drop 3’s, and isn’t very good at it. If this were a company, Dalton would be promoted and Gorski would be in the mail room
Unless it was the government.... Then Gorski would he head of the department and Dalton would be working overtime as an intern....
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Dalton is such a good rebounder and he's got some inside moves. When's he's missing that 3, he can't rebound. It just seems that the entire team shoots too many 3's without looking for a better shot first.
I agree that as a team we shoot too many threes and have a stagnant offense, but I just don't have a problem with 5 of our 60 shots per game being a Dalton 3pt attempt. He's still able to crash boards 55 times per game.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

It wasn't all that exciting of a game, but got the W regardless, just keep cruzin Pokes