Our O

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Dead horse, I know, but just saw stat where Josh's average depth of target was 11.6 yards!

We aren't going to run people over unless we get another Brian Hill like back.

This season especially, the offense, within the CURRENT system (pro-style does have passes), has to get more creative in the short passing game and utilize those plays at any time. If we run on 1st, then 2nd, and pass on 3rd 75% of the time, it's going to be a long season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I think Overstreet is going to blow up this fall. That's going to help, but losing Josh will be felt. Very few programs can lose a QB that went 7th overall and not see a drop off. Or have some suggested, get better.

It's hard to understand at times. In 2016, Vigen's play-calling was borderline masterful at times. At others it appears he's nothing more than an automated recording plugged into the QB's helmet. He'll need to recapture some of that 2016 form for this team to live up to its potential.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 pm I think Overstreet is going to blow up this fall. That's going to help, but losing Josh will be felt. Very few programs can lose a QB that went 7th overall and not see a drop off. Or have some suggested, get better.

It's hard to understand at times. In 2016, Vigen's play-calling was borderline masterful at times. At others it appears he's nothing more than an automated recording plugged into the QB's helmet. He'll need to recapture some of that 2016 form for this team to live up to its potential.
Only sad part of this, is that it took Woods getting injured for Overstreet to take #1 on the depth chart.

I think we can all agree Overstreet showed a lot of good things by the second half of last season.

But aside from him, the o-line and WRs will need to improve across the board. Fullback is kind of a question, but not the one I'm most worried about. And either way, we're breaking in a new QB. The oline will have a lot more experience, and hopefully, power to give him time to read the field. And the WRs to get separation so he can get good targets.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

I agree with the later.......

Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Basically, if we can't run the ball, our offense is boned.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

This Warren Sharp guy is a smart man
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

It would be naive to assume that Vigen doesn't see the criticism, question is does he do anything about it. This year will be telling with a top rated D. If the production on the O doesn't improve over last year, then it may be time to make a change....
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

J-Rod wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 pm It's hard to understand at times. In 2016, Vigen's play-calling was borderline masterful at times. At others it appears he's nothing more than an automated recording plugged into the QB's helmet. He'll need to recapture some of that 2016 form for this team to live up to its potential.
I agree, but at times start to wonder, should it have been even better with all that talent? Was his genius really genius or just a function of having more talent than the other team? Before a certain fanboy starts (not you), I know I know recruiting and coaching and yadda yadda, but having all that talent on every squad is going to be a challenge. Good OCs work with what they have and make their players better.

The lack of creativity and absence of a short passing game last season is mind boggling.

The O has to take a giant step this season regardless of losing JA. Being nearly the worst offense in CFB this long into a rebuild would be extremely concerning. I think (hope) Bohl helps with adjustments and we have decent improvement to help the kick ass d.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We’ve seen Bohls offense at Wyoming when it isn’t filled with NFL prospects and it isn’t pretty. I don’t think this year will be much different. His offense works if you are simply bigger and faster than the other guy, which Wyoming usually isn’t. I’m not hopeful for this year. To me it looks a lot like 2008. A 4 or 5 win season is very possible. I would love to be proven wrong and have TVW be the real deal.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It was probably easy to call games at North Dakota because of superior talent. What they built there they were probably equivalent to where we are now ( we can beat any MW team now and can probably beat lower power conference teams on occasion). Watch us play Gardener-Webb or Wofford to see the talent gap and how easy play calling is when talent is better.

The problem is play calling when teams are of equal or better talent ( ie we could have beat Boise last year). Even scarier was the game plan going into San Jose. Zero flexibility if something isn’t working ( unless you count jet sweeps from Conway that had been ran all year). If the running game is ok, we will be ok. I am guessing this team will be like Glenn’s 2006 team. Good defense, okay offense. Probably 6 wins ( which is a better three year stretch than the last couple coaches could put together). I hope that TVW and Overstreet have big years because this defense is championship caliber.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I think the offense takes a leap forward this season.We lost a hell of alot of talent at the end of 2016. We got in a good defensive coach that was able to tweak quite a bit of things, while being able to depend on some size and maturity. Losing Brian Hill hurt - last season could have been nicer with a guy who could run the ball when we didn't have receivers. The receivers did show significant progress by the end of the season.

Bohl has a pretty solid plan IMHO. If he gets all units performing, its going to be a beast to try to stop.