Woods and Jackson

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Are out for the 2018 season. Jackson hurts the depth for sure and was a solid contributor last season. RB is wide open.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Interior D-line has some nice depth though, and he has a redshirt to take right ( we are talking about Javaree?). Would make sense why they are playing Victor Jones at tackle. Now if we are talking Kaden Jackson on o-line, different story.

As far as running back I am hoping that it’s open competition. The coaches seemed to stay with the least productive back for most of last season.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Vapoke wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pm Are out for the 2018 season. Jackson hurts the depth for sure and was a solid contributor last season. RB is wide open.
I actually feel that it is best for both players to be able to be redshirted. As both will be able to take a year, get their bodies to heal and mature plus it will allow them to work on academics (not saying that they need to).

As far as depth on the DL, we have three guys (not freshmen) who can step in. Conner Cain (Sr.), Ravontae Holt (So.) and Gavin Dunayski (RFr.). Frankly, Mario Mora, a true freshman might be able to step in if needed, he is that good. I am not worried about the DL.

In regards to the RB position, man-o-man, I have heard so much. I have no doubt that the year will help Trey Woods a lot. Who will step up???????????? Nico Evans will most likely man the same role as he had last year, 3rd down and blocking back. Overstreet, Valladay, Green???? Out of that group, I would have to go with Overstreet. But I am expecting that one of the freshmen, Jevon Bigelow or Reow Jackson will step up and be in the mix. Personally I like what Jevon Bigelow did in a tough HS conference in the Sacramento area when he played RB exclusively his senior year, over 1,500 yards. But I do know that the coaches really like Reow Jackson.....so which one??? I am more concerned about the RB position than I am the DL. We do know who the starters will be on the DL and the primary back-ups will be. As far as the RB, we really don't know who will be the starters even.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Who is Mario Mora?

I have really high hope for Javaree. He and Ravontae will both be really, really good.

As far as RB, I think this may be a blessing in disguise for the Pokes. This will make it easier for the future of the position to emerge. For some reason the coaches continued to go with Woods last year.

I wish both a speedy recovery
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 am Who is Mario Mora?

I have really high hope for Javaree. He and Ravontae will both be really, really good.

As far as RB, I think this may be a blessing in disguise for the Pokes. This will make it easier for the future of the position to emerge. For some reason the coaches continued to go with Woods last year.

I think we were all pulling our hair out last year with Woods getting the majority of the carries when the other backs looked much better. It makes me wonder if there is something we werent seeing like turnovers in practice, attitude issues, or off field issues with some of the other backs that the coaches used to justify Woods getting the majority of the carries.

Of course, I wouldn't rule out Vigen just being completely bullheaded. His play calling drives me nuts. Its never a surprise. Its a good thing he has other redeeming qualities, or he would be back to FCS in no time.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 am Who is Mario Mora?

Mario Mora was the lone signee on the latter signing date in Feb. 2018.

A few things from his bio:

Mario Mora, DT, 6'-3" 255, Fr., Covina, CA.. Mario was highly recruited by several Mountain West Conference Schools (Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada and San Jose St. all offered). He was credited with 43 tackles his senior season (21 solo tackles and 22 assists). Among those 43 tackles were 8.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and 9.0 quarterback hurries. He recovered one fumble and scored a touchdown on that recovery. Mora helped lead Charter Oak High School to a 12-1 overall record, a 5-0 conference mark and a first-place finish in the Hacienda Conference.

Mora was more highly recruited than either Ravontae Holt and Javaree Jackson coming out of HS. However, I feel that we got two steals with Holt and Jackson. I remember Coach Bohl saying about Javaree Jackson that he is what a BIG 10 DL looks like. It scares me a little in that Jackson's surgery is on his back and backs are a tricky thing. You need to give a back plenty of time to heal.....(I know from a personal level as I fractured my back when I was in my 20's). I like the Dunayski kid from Washington State, he redshirted last year, and has had time to physically prepare for this season, his issue would be that he doesn't have the experience that Holt has.

In addition I remember reading somewhere else that Mora is a very mature player and is advanced in his knowledge of the DT position, especially in things like leverage, etc..

I will agree that the coaches really seemed to be sold on using Woods a lot last year. But that might have been from just not seeing enough out of the other guys. I am one that is convinced that the OL will be better this year, and that will go a long way in making any RB look better.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Mora sounds like a good one. We have ridiculous depth on the D line. Amazing how things change. Wasn't long ago that we were starting a 185 lb true freshmen Carl Granderson lol (who held his own btw) and seth Edeen, a walkon, was getting lots of PT