About Twitter and social media in relation to UW.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

This is the second time in 4 years that social media has painted a grimm picture about athletes at our University. Both players are from areas not named Wyoming, but wore our jerseys when they got drafted. This is an image that little Wyoming needs to rid itself of.

Of course it's all out of context, and really is small peanuts... But we should have a system that corrects these discrepancies. Maybe we do already have something in place... But it would be in the university's, and the athletes, best interest to do a little more.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

ESPN is reporting that Josh's twitter account was vetted in January and these tweets were removed then. Nobody knows how long these people who "leaked" these tweets were holding on to them, I feel like what they did is more offensive than anything Josh tweeted as a 15 year old.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Are you implying this is a problem specific to he university of Wyoming? This happens every single year to kids from all over the country... This isnt some internal issue UW has....
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 am ESPN is reporting that Josh's twitter account was vetted in January and these tweets were removed then. Nobody knows how long these people who "leaked" these tweets were holding on to them, I feel like what they did is more offensive than anything Josh tweeted as a 15 year old.
I hate our current climate...for reasons like this. Guaranteed either Rosen's, Darnold's, or Mayfield's agent bought this "tweet history" to put more $$ in his / his player's pocket.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am This is the second time in 4 years that social media has painted a grimm picture about athletes at our University. Both players are from areas not named Wyoming, but wore our jerseys when they got drafted. This is an image that little Wyoming needs to rid itself of.

Of course it's all out of context, and really is small peanuts... But we should have a system that corrects these discrepancies. Maybe we do already have something in place... But it would be in the university's, and the athletes, best interest to do a little more.
No disrespect, but poop. This is on the kid, and somewhat - a small amount - on the parents. It is how things roll these days. We could go on and on, but it is about accountability, having ownership, being responsible, being decent - and that one HAS TO understand that poop you put out on the internet or social media lasts forever. It may not seem like a big deal when you are 15 - and it may not be a big deal, but look at what we have going on today.
Dear Karma,

carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we should get this stuff so we don't look like a pro "white" University. I don't want to resemble byu at all, let me paint the picture in four easy to understand statements...

Black 14, Matthew Shepard, "rapist", "nigg@, nigg@, nigg@".

Not a good image
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Again... not limited to Wyoming....
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we should get this stuff so we don't look like a pro "white" University. I don't want to resemble byu at all, let me paint the picture in four easy to understand statements...

Black 14, Matthew Shepard, "rapist", "nigg@, nigg@, nigg@".

Not a good image
Disagree again. The Black 14 was during a very trying time in our country. It could have been a lot worse, and at the same time could have been avoided by one man, who made one very poor decision.

Mathew Shepard? Give me a break. Drug deals and cash owed gone bad - turned into a hate crime? Shouldn't have gone that way, but is what it is in our pussified society.

And as far as rapist and your other drivel - not sure what you are referring to, but Wyoming is far from being Michigan State, et al.

Put responsibility where it needs to be put. Parenting and the kids themselves. In other words, teach the youth how to communicate again, and to not put anything on social media you wouldn't say to somebody's face.
Dear Karma,

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Sure hope I'm not judged(too much) by my posts on WyoNation, on my FB Twitter accounts later in life, oh wait, I DON'T CARE
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Still not sure why the rapist comment was a bad thing. Yeah, you probably don't want to suddenly be teammates with a guy that you called a rapist on social media, but that doesn't change the fact that HE WAS a rapist.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Ok so then we don't have an image problem. In laramie that might be the belief. That's not what I hear from people in Washington. They see what is the front page. They don't know the back ground. Squeeky clean should be what we want.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ESPN was actually pretty positive about how Allen responded.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm Ok so then we don't have an image problem. In laramie that might be the belief. That's not what I hear from people in Washington. They see what is the front page. They don't know the back ground. Squeeky clean should be what we want.
What does Washington have to do with anything? Like DC? Policy makers? What does this cast into doubt? Outside of what, 1 small AG program the university doesn't receive federal funding... I am not sure I follow your angle here...
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 pm
carbonpoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm Ok so then we don't have an image problem. In laramie that might be the belief. That's not what I hear from people in Washington. They see what is the front page. They don't know the back ground. Squeeky clean should be what we want.
What does Washington have to do with anything? Like DC? Policy makers? What does this cast into doubt? Outside of what, 1 small AG program the university doesn't receive federal funding... I am not sure I follow your angle here...
I think he means Washington state.

Personally, if with all the mining done on Allen and this is the worst you can come up with....

Let me put it this way. If I was reviewing resumes and portfolios for a job applicant and these tweets were the biggest red flag to pop up, guess how much I care about these tweets? Very, very little.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I'm saying in Washington state, my fellow athletic fans like to bring up that we are a school that has some hate issues. Anti gay, had a history of prejudice, and recently, had social media incidents that portray good old boy white country.

Now, I live in the most liberal state in the universe. Wyoming is seen as ultra conservative, Trump loving, white privilege.

It's an image thing... But I have heard it. I drive a Chevy. Went to the Seattle aquarium during a woman's right anti Trump March. While I was driving my Wyoming truck, the liberals screamed at me about being a murderer... Driving a murder machine.

There are people that believe Wyoming is everything we don't want our image to be. That's my f-word point.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I'm not trying to argue... I'm saying this is preventable.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:43 pm I'm saying in Washington state, my fellow athletic fans like to bring up that we are a school that has some hate issues. Anti gay, had a history of prejudice, and recently, had social media incidents that portray good old boy white country.

Now, I live in the most liberal state in the universe. Wyoming is seen as ultra conservative, Trump loving, white privilege.

It's an image thing... But I have heard it. I drive a Chevy. Went to the Seattle aquarium during a woman's right anti Trump March. While I was driving my Wyoming truck, the liberals screamed at me about being a murderer... Driving a murder machine.

There are people that believe Wyoming is everything we don't want our image to be. That's my f-word point.
Don't see the connection between Nance's twitter thing and "good old boy white country" it was just him pissing off a future team mate and his teams fanbase. Unless I am forgetting another social media incident.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:43 pm I'm saying in Washington state, my fellow athletic fans like to bring up that we are a school that has some hate issues. Anti gay, had a history of prejudice, and recently, had social media incidents that portray good old boy white country.

Sounds like you live in a poop state
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Washington? LOL.

Suggestion: If you are really a fan of UW & Wyoming, educate the masses in Washington on what the real deal is then! Especially about Shepard and the Black 14 (although I am fairly certainly not many Washingtonites give a poop about the Black 14 incident that happened in Wyoming 50 years ago). Then again, I am wondering why I give a poop what people from Washington think about Wyoming. Hell, they probably don't know where it is or how to spell it. f-word 'em.
Dear Karma,

Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

I get your point, but guess what the people yelling at you, Wyoming could pull the biggest PR effort and I doubt their minds will change. To change the minds of those types would require Wyoming changing into something I don't really care to change into. Further, the more I live, the less I care about what others think about me, the state I live in, etc. What Seattle folk think about Wyoming means little to me. Even on the college football front. Since when has the Seattle area been a hotbed of football talent? Heck those same folks ragging on you would have just ragged on you more if they knew you were a football fan. You would be a murderer, driving a murder machine, so you can go watch your murder blood sport.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville