TVW named starter

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

TVW names starter ( good move imho). Weird to see Logan Harris down on the depth chart after staring ( Center to guard).
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Yeah weird for Harris, but hopefully he works hard to show he can compete.
When Trent Greener was in the weight room back in the 90s he used to hate some of the kids from wyoming because they wouldn’t work hard in the weight room.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/wyo_football/status ... 9147687936
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Tyree Mayfield? He can't catch a cold. Hope they have Fort and Harshman in on passing downs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Indeed weird to see Harris down the chart.

Hope the OL is going to be dominant because we'll need them
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm Tyree Mayfield? He can't catch a cold. Hope they have Fort and Harshman in on passing downs.
That might be the dumbest thing I’ve read on here in quite some time.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Vapoke wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:38 pm Yeah weird for Harris, but hopefully he works hard to show he can compete.
When Trent Greener was in the weight room back in the 90s he used to hate some of the kids from wyoming because they wouldn’t work hard in the weight room.
My wife and buddy talked to his mom at the CJC club in Goshen County last week. She said that he is actually happy about that since its his natural position which per Logan is an indication that the line is getting good depth. But she didn't elaborate on much else.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I saw flashes of tvw at the spring game but nothing truly impressed me by either QB, that younger kid had a couple of good plays that have stuck with me, can't remember his name, it'll be an interesting fall camp to see how bad Nick wants it for his senior year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 am I saw flashes of tvw at the spring game but nothing truly impressed me by either QB, that younger kid had a couple of good plays that have stuck with me, can't remember his name, it'll be an interesting fall camp to see how bad Nick wants it for his senior year.
Younger kid? There are no younger QBs than TVW that played in the spring game. Nick Szpor, walkon JR QB, played in the Spring Game but he isn't even listed on the depth chart at QB. Are you talking about Sean Chambers, true freshman QB who will enroll this summer/fall?

Nick Smith will be a backup. The coaching staff made this statement by going with the freshman after Spring. The question will be does Wyoming land a transfer? Or does Chambers come in and blow away the competition in the fall and get the job as a true freshman.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyoair wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:23 am
Vapoke wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:38 pm Yeah weird for Harris, but hopefully he works hard to show he can compete.
My wife and buddy talked to his mom at the CJC club in Goshen County last week. She said that he is actually happy about that since its his natural position which per Logan is an indication that the line is getting good depth. But she didn't elaborate on much else.
I'm thinking that maybe the staff is leaning toward redshirting Harris this upcoming season?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm Tyree Mayfield? He can't catch a cold. Hope they have Fort and Harshman in on passing downs.
We have 3 senior tight ends. They will all play.

My concern is whether the coaching staff will use Nate Weinman on passing downs in goal line or short yardage situations! Weinman isn't even listed on the depth chart but could be an unstoppable weapon in such situations. He looked good in the Spring Game I thought.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:02 am
stymeman wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 am I saw flashes of tvw at the spring game but nothing truly impressed me by either QB, that younger kid had a couple of good plays that have stuck with me, can't remember his name, it'll be an interesting fall camp to see how bad Nick wants it for his senior year.
Younger kid? There are no younger QBs than TVW that played in the spring game. Nick Szpor, walkon JR QB, played in the Spring Game but he isn't even listed on the depth chart at QB. Are you talking about Sean Chambers, true freshman QB who will enroll this summer/fall?

Nick Smith will be a backup. The coaching staff made this statement by going with the freshman after Spring. The question will be does Wyoming land a transfer? Or does Chambers come in and blow away the competition in the fall and get the job as a true freshman.
Sphor(sp) yeah that's it I liked some of the balls he was throwing, I know probably not a chance but he outshined the other 2 (imho)
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:02 am

I got the impression from reading some of the articles that a transfer is in the coaches mind set, the question is, do they land the one that they want? I don't think that the coaches are going to give a scholarship out just to satisfy numbers at a position. I also don't get the impression that the coaches are expecting for Chambers to come in and blow guys away, but he will get a long look.

The one position that I feel that needs an upgrade is at the RB position, and I do feel that Jevon Bigelow will get more than just a long look. I feel that the coaches will do whatever to see if Bigelow can help them, especially since Spring Ball was lost for both Overstreet and Woods. I do not see Nico Evans being an answer at the RB position, he will be a decent pass blocker, and will be valuable on 3rd downs as he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

The move of Logan Harris sounds more like a mutual thing. He did what the coaches needed him to do last year, but that was not where Logan actually wanted to play, and he wasn't going to be the long term answer at the center position. Keegan Cryder I do feel is the long term answer at the Center position. Will there be a learning curve this coming year? Absolutely, but it is one that he wants to embrace. I do feel that with the addition of Abojei at Guard that the Pokes will be much more competent in the run game this fall.

What will be key now, will be for the guys to go through Summer training, get healthy and the QB's and WR's need to work on timing.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
wyoair wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:23 am
I'm thinking that maybe the staff is leaning toward redshirting Harris this upcoming season?
That was my gut reaction when talking to his mom. Especially looking at the depth chart he's behind Abojei (R-FR) and Rush (JR) on the left side and Jackson (SR) on the right and the fact that he hasn't played that in well over a year. So he will probably be competing for Jackson's spot full time next year.
Jellystone
Buckaroo

I think with naming TVW, it’s saying that there ok with going with youth; redshirt freshmen or true freshmen. There’s no question that Chambers is a better athlete than both TVW and Smith, but how well and how fast can he pick up the playbook.

Another interesting theory, is that they named TVW and want to see how he responds and prepare during the summer and fall.

I still like Smith to be named the starter. I think he has the leadership and respect of his teammates regardless of his 0-2 record last year.

He’s probably a fumble away from beating Fresno and a couple bad throws and a missed FG from beating SJSU.

In looking at the current list of potential grad transfers, there’s not much out there that’s an immediate upgrade like Wilton Speight. That ship might have sailed.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Jellystone wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm I think with naming TVW, it’s saying that there ok with going with youth; redshirt freshmen or true freshmen. There’s no question that Chambers is a better athlete than both TVW and Smith, but how well and how fast can he pick up the playbook.

Another interesting theory, is that they named TVW and want to see how he responds and prepare during the summer and fall.

I still like Smith to be named the starter. I think he has the leadership and respect of his teammates regardless of his 0-2 record last year.

He’s probably a fumble away from beating Fresno and a couple bad throws and a missed FG from beating SJSU.

In looking at the current list of potential grad transfers, there’s not much out there that’s an immediate upgrade like Wilton Speight. That ship might have sailed.
I would rather pull someone out of flag football than have Smith unless he’s somehow changed everything he is. That being said, I’m not one to say he can’t get better. I assumed he would be the starter based on what I know about Bohl. We don’t need josh at QB, we need a running game
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Jellystone wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pmThere’s no question that Chambers is a better athlete than both TVW and Smith, but how well and how fast can he pick up the playbook.
Better athlete doesn't equal a better player, though. Just watching their highlights: TVW hits his receivers in stride over and over and in tight windows, while Chambers' receivers frequently have to adjust to the ball, often resulting in them getting tackled right after they make the catch. TVW is shown to run defenders over when he actually does take off, while Chambers is far more elusive and actually has a cut-back. There's also way more clips of Chambers running.

They're obviously very different quarterbacks, and I'm hoping that whomever doesn't get the starting job will actually stick with the program, as both of them seem like pretty intelligent and physically gifted players.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Jellystone wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm I think with naming TVW, it’s saying that there ok with going with youth; redshirt freshmen or true freshmen. There’s no question that Chambers is a better athlete than both TVW and Smith, but how well and how fast can he pick up the playbook.

Every loss has woulda coulda shouldas. He lost to San Jose St. That team would have lost to some Texas high school teams.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm
Jellystone wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pmThere’s no question that Chambers is a better athlete than both TVW and Smith, but how well and how fast can he pick up the playbook.
Better athlete doesn't equal a better player, though. Just watching their highlights: TVW hits his receivers in stride over and over and in tight windows, while Chambers' receivers frequently have to adjust to the ball, often resulting in them getting tackled right after they make the catch. TVW is shown to run defenders over when he actually does take off, while Chambers is far more elusive and actually has a cut-back. There's also way more clips of Chambers running.

They're obviously very different quarterbacks, and I'm hoping that whomever doesn't get the starting job will actually stick with the program, as both of them seem like pretty intelligent and physically gifted players.
I agree that Tyler and Sean are different types of QB's. Tyler is more of a thrower than Sean, and Sean is more of a runner than Tyler is imo. I have watched game film on both, and Tyler is a kid who has played QB for quite a while, and has a strong arm and impressive accuracy, and just seems to have more instincts at the position than Sean has. Meaning stuff like, Tyler just seems to have the feel from where the heat is going to come from, throws a better spiral, and has really impressive downfield accuracy, etc.. Whereas Sean has a strong arm as well and is also an impressive athlete who runs well and plays QB. The ball on his films didn't come out of his hand as clean as they appear to come out of Tyler's hand. I just get the sense that Sean just needs to learn more about the position, and he will get that at UW under Bohl that is for sure.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I feel like VanderWaal is a much better fit for Bohl's offense than Chambers.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo