Say it ain’t so....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Can we stop with the "their schedule sucks since they went indy," nonsense? They schedule the same number of FCS games each season as us. They have four to six P5 games on the schedule every year. And just like us, they have some less than intriguing G5 games. I don't mind playing them again because it has a lot more appeal than Texas St, Eastern Michigan, Toledo or New Mexico St. Yes, their attendance was down last year. Only 88.2% capacity per game. 88.2%?!?!?!?! And we are claiming that they are wallowing in independence? I'd love for us to hit 75% some time while I'm still breathing (70.6% in 2017 and 72.8% in 2016).
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

jessejames02 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am What good is a villain if you never get to play it?

Yes, BYU is a sanctimonious, hypocritical, history denying, greedy bunch of cheats.

So we're supposed to skip out on an amazing rivalry that would probably be the best selling game for Wyo most years and one of the easiest away games for fans to attend? Audience-wise, playing BYU annually is equivalent to having an extra power conference team on the schedule.

I hope Burman schedules based on what's best for Wyoming football moving forward. If he's ignoring or passing on games based on hurt feelings, he should be fired.
To play them, to even call them a "villain" validates and scrubs them of the stench of cultish hypocrisy that is the very nature of the school and its backing institution. I would find it far more satisfying to watch their program wither and die, which it eventually will do, especially if the rest of the MW stops scheduling them.

Wyoming needs to lead by example. And any MW school that schedules them- leave rotting broccoli an sausage in the visitors' locker rooms for a week before they play in Laramie.

F--k byu*, f--k Tom Burman if he does this, and f--k anyone who supports it.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm
jessejames02 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am What good is a villain if you never get to play it?

Yes, BYU is a sanctimonious, hypocritical, history denying, greedy bunch of cheats.

So we're supposed to skip out on an amazing rivalry that would probably be the best selling game for Wyo most years and one of the easiest away games for fans to attend? Audience-wise, playing BYU annually is equivalent to having an extra power conference team on the schedule.

I hope Burman schedules based on what's best for Wyoming football moving forward. If he's ignoring or passing on games based on hurt feelings, he should be fired.
To play them, to even call them a "villain" validates and scrubs them of the stench of cultish hypocrisy that is the very nature of the school and its backing institution. I would find it far more satisfying to watch their program wither and die, which it eventually will do, especially if the rest of the MW stops scheduling them.

Wyoming needs to lead by example. And any MW school that schedules them- leave rotting broccoli an sausage in the visitors' locker rooms for a week before they play in Laramie.

Yeah, it's not like we're talking about a rival school we hate but that actually has relatively decent morals, like CSU. On top of what they did to the conference, there's also the systematic punishment of rape and the deed assault victims that somehow the NCAA hasn't come down on (yet). That they changed some of their rules in a panic when it got media attention does NOTHING to alleviate what they did for who knows how long?
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

BYU might be close to a smaller P5 school revenue wise but beating them is not going to help our non conference resume as much as beating a low to mid tier team from the PAC 12, SEC or another P5. I would much rather be playing teams like Washington St and Missouri. A win against BYU is not going to look as good as a win against Washington St. Playing BYU does nothing for us. To top it off they are stuck up aholes who tried to turn us into an FCS football program. Did I mention they are dicks?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I won't go into details because I don't want to derail thread too much, but I find it odd that the ncaa, espn/disney/abc have grave concerns on social issues to the extent of boycotting states in some cases (ncaa) but ignore certain stances byu takes on social issues.

Eventually, I think it will get to be a bigger deal for byu. I think it is best to just stay away from that as much as possible.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 am I won't go into details because I don't want to derail thread too much, but I find it odd that the ncaa, espn/disney/abc have grave concerns on social issues to the extent of boycotting states in some cases (ncaa) but ignore certain stances byu takes on social issues.

Eventually, I think it will get to be a bigger deal for byu. I think it is best to just stay away from that as much as possible.
With Disney it isn't all that weird, because there's a LOT of BYU alumni at Disney. They even have an animation studio pipeline that goes from BYU to Disney.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm ... the stench of cultish hypocrisy that is the very nature of the school and its backing institution. ...
Oh, you mean you don't want to play them b/c they're mormon.
52-56
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

jessejames02 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:33 am
Wyovanian wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm ... the stench of cultish hypocrisy that is the very nature of the school and its backing institution. ...
Oh, you mean you don't want to play them b/c they're mormon.
No, because they're self-righteous hypocrites of the highest order and they want to be more equal than others.

If that is the nature of the aforementioned religion, that is their problem, not the rest of the College Sports world's.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

I know Mormons that can't stand the pretentiousness of BYU.

For me, it has nothing to do with their beliefs, but everything to do with them be arrogant dicks that have a bigger superiority complex than Notre Dame and SEC fans.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:28 pm I know Mormons that can't stand the pretentiousness of BYU.

For me, it has nothing to do with their beliefs, but everything to do with them be arrogant dicks that have a bigger superiority complex than Notre Dame and SEC fans.
You might want to add OU fans to that list. Granted, they aren't as arrogant (hell, no one is) as BYU "people" are but still...
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:28 pm I know Mormons that can't stand the pretentiousness of BYU.

Agree with this. In my experience, there are Mormons who root for BYU every weekend, Mormons who root against BYU every weekend, and Mormons who don't really care either way.

Hell, I know a BYU grad that hates BYU football with a passion. Oddly, still a big fan of the men's basketball team.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Well... if your a Mormon you probably pay for BYU football through a tithe. If your a Wyoming fan and live in Colorado some of your taxes pay for CSU athletics. It’s got to kill you either way.

My issue is with closet BYU fans who are UW fans. Those are two things that’s can’t go-exist. That’s like being a Jewish Muslim or a Utard that can drive well.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Being the stand-up guy that you are I am sure that you will go up to Theo Dawson this fall and let him know in the language that you use here to describe what you think of his "cultish" religion.....and oh while you are at it, go up to Tom and in his face cuss him out for telling him what you think of him for possibly doing this.

Oh wait....you aren't a stand-up type....and do forget the thousands of Mormon fans that Wyoming has and you insult.

BTW, I hate BYU as much as the next guy and maybe more than a number of you. I hate losing to those arrogant asses, and it has nothing to do with the religion. If we lose to CSU or BYU it bothers me for a long time. I just can't stand people who are religious bigots.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

It's rather silly pretending that any religion doesn't have weirdness involved to it when looking at it from the outside.

And I say this as a follower of Christ.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Let’s also not think that UW is made up of an anything more that a Mormon minority. What is the state percentage 9-12%? What percentage of those college eligible students attend school in Utah, Hathaway made those numbers increase, but I bet UW is is around an 8% Mormon school. A good chunk of those students have love for BYU and they should go else where. Much like the Colorado kid attending UW on price who loves Air Force, CSU, or CU. Those people should seriously f-word off.

Not sure how it works for Mormon tithes but if you are a Wyoming fan can you avoid giving money that pays for BYU athletics?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 pm It's rather silly pretending that any religion doesn't have weirdness involved to it when looking at it from the outside.

And I say this as a follower of Christ.
All religions are screwed up if you think about it and BTW, I'm atheist so.... :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

All religions are screwed up if you think about it and BTW, I'm atheist so.... :D
:thumb:
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

marcuswyo wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Thank you.

Just use common sense, logic, and science and you'll be fine.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Thank you.

Just use common sense, logic, and science and you'll be fine.
I have no doubt God has heard it all from witty atheists. So when you stand before Our Heavenly Father I think that you might want to have something better to say.

As they say, there are no atheists in fox holes, and I learned that when I was in the military.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Be a good person, not an asshole, and I'm fairly confident God won't give a damn what religion you practice (even atheism) when you meet him at the pearly gates.

In an attempt to get back on track, f-word byu, can't wait to watch them have another horrible year as they fade into obscurity.