Spring Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

Exciting finish. TVW lead the white team down the length of the field for a game winning TD.

Hard to glean much from spring games, but the defenses looked good.

Players that stood out were Conway and Dontae Crowe. Both Nick Smith and TVW looked serviceable, to steal a word from Bohl. Who knows whose going to get the start come fall. Good times and decent weather (no wind).

Go, Pokes!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 pm Exciting finish. TVW lead the white team down the length of the field for a game winning TD.

Players that stood out were Conway and Dontae Crowe. Both Nick Smith and TVW looked serviceable, to steal a word from Bohl. Who knows whose going to get the start come fall. Good times and decent weather (no wind).

Go, Pokes!
Any thoughts on the OL? I take it that neither of the OT's (Wallace & Velaquez) played, due to injuries?

Thanks
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:05 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 pm Exciting finish. TVW lead the white team down the length of the field for a game winning TD.

Go, Pokes!
Any thoughts on the OL? I take it that neither of the OT's (Wallace & Velaquez) played, due to injuries?

Thanks
I thought pass blocking was poor at times. Run blocking seemed better, but that's not saying too much. Nico Evans ran the ball well. There's no way Woods was better than or will be better than Evans. Evans made a bit of a statement imo.

#69 Eric Abojei is a huge man. Every bit of 350 lbs and tall. Moves pretty well too. He may benefit from losing a few, but maybe this is his best weight? Seems like he'll be a good player.

Overall the game was well balanced. That's what you want to see, right? I don't know
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It would be cool for Nico to win the job. Maybe woods is the future at TE ( he is a good player too, but could be a future Hollister and be a pro at TE).
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Go, Pokes!

Thanks
I thought pass blocking was poor at times. Run blocking seemed better, but that's not saying too much. Nico Evans ran the ball well. There's no way Woods was better than or will be better than Evans. Evans made a bit of a statement imo.

#69 Eric Abojei is a huge man. Every bit of 350 lbs and tall. Moves pretty well too. He may benefit from losing a few, but maybe this is his best weight? Seems like he'll be a good player.

Overall the game was well balanced. That's what you want to see, right? I don't know
Yes, you don't want the Bobo style of offense scoring a jillion points and then telling everybody that it was a great day.... :orly:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Gavin dunyanski looked good. He’s a big dude on the dL. Man, we’ve got a ton of players there
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I actually thought Mike Green was impressive at RB. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the Cowboys lead back next fall.

Tyler Vander Waal clearly has more athletic talent at QB than Nick Smith. He made some decisions that weren’t all that great but Vander Waal has to be in front of Smith. Neither played outstanding (both made a couple of good throws) but Vander Waal gave me some hope and he is still just a RS Freshman.

Nate Weinman! We have to find a way to use that guy next year. How easy it would be to run play action on the goal line and throw it high to Weinman on a roll out. There would be no stopping that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Not that it matters much but TVW took a knee in the middle of the field to set up the game winning field goal not TD. The previous play was a TVW incomplete pass into the end zone that drew an obvious PI.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:41 pm I actually thought Mike Green was impressive at RB. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the Cowboys lead back next fall.

Tyler Vander Waal clearly has more athletic talent at QB than Nick Smith. He made some decisions that weren’t all that great but Vander Waal has to be in front of Smith. Neither played outstanding (both made a couple of good throws) but Vander Waal gave me some hope and he is still just a RS Freshman.

Nate Weinman! We have to find a way to use that guy next year. How easy it would be to run play action on the goal line and throw it high to Weinman on a roll out. There would be no stopping that.
I hear you about Nate Weinman, but he has got 3 seniors in front of him. There is also Mason Keeler (6-6, 240) a walk-on from Broomfield. The Pokes also signed a TE out of Illinois, Jackson Marcotte (6-7, 250) this year, but Marcotte had knee surgery and I am have no doubt that he will redshirt this coming season. There will be some impressive size and athleticism in the years ahead at the TE position. I am one that has suggested for quite awhile now that the Pokes should incorporate the TE more. They might use Weinman like they did Jared Scott this year, give him several opportunities in certain situations this season down at the end zone.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Go, Pokes!

Thanks

Yes, you don't want the Bobo style of offense scoring a jillion points and then telling everybody that it was a great day.... :orly:
Except this is the spring game when you are playing yourself. Scoring a bunch of points doesn't necessarily mean you have a good offense, it might just mean your defense stinks. Similarly, a low scoring game doesn't necessarily mean you have a great defense. This is why you want to see a competitive, balanced spring game. I didn't watch, so I am not saying it was or was not.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Expat_Poke wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 am

Go, Pokes!

Thanks

Except this is the spring game when you are playing yourself. Scoring a bunch of points doesn't necessarily mean you have a good offense, it might just mean your defense stinks. Similarly, a low scoring game doesn't necessarily mean you have a great defense. This is why you want to see a competitive, balanced spring game. I didn't watch, so I am not saying it was or was not.
I fully understand that there are different ways of looking at and evaluating the Spring game. My comment was solely about how stupid Bobo's comment was, and it was not a comment on UW in any way. Bobo made a really idiotic statement after the spring game where his offense ripped his defense something like 72-0, saying that it was a great spring ending game. The reality of the stupidity of his comment came around to bite him on the backside the next season when the rammies had such a horrible defense. I could have never have played for a guy with the name BOBO!

But in evaluating the Pokes Spring game, I do feel that it is a same assumption that the Pokes defense is sound and was very difficult to play against despite the lack of first teamers that were playing because we have recruited and have the type of depth that we have now, except maybe at the DE position which we were extremely thin at due to injuries. The final score was indicative of a close game. I didn't get the sense that there were a lot of mistakes as there weren't a lot of penalties called, but as with young players I am sure that things could have been "cleaned up" some as well. I am not going to rate the Spring game as nothing more than a good step and learning experience for a team that is on its way up.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Not that it matters much but TVW took a knee in the middle of the field to set up the game winning field goal not TD. The previous play was a TVW incomplete pass into the end zone that drew an obvious PI.
Yes. Thanks for the correction. That was a pretty ball to price that drew the PI
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:41 pm I actually thought Mike Green was impressive at RB. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the Cowboys lead back next fall.

I hear you about Nate Weinman, but he has got 3 seniors in front of him. There is also Mason Keeler (6-6, 240) a walk-on from Broomfield. The Pokes also signed a TE out of Illinois, Jackson Marcotte (6-7, 250) this year, but Marcotte had knee surgery and I am have no doubt that he will redshirt this coming season. There will be some impressive size and athleticism in the years ahead at the TE position. I am one that has suggested for quite awhile now that the Pokes should incorporate the TE more. They might use Weinman like they did Jared Scott this year, give him several opportunities in certain situations this season down at the end zone.
Maybe this is why the run game looked a little better. Having those massive TEs out there opening up more holes. With Keeler and Weinemann it's basically like having another tackle out there.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I also wanted to mention CJ Coldon. I thought he looked really good for a RS Freshman corner and was all over the place. He reminded me of a young Al Rich. Hard hitting corner not scared to mix it up in the middle of the field. Coldon should be a starter in the fall.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Does anybody have or has anybody found any video highlights of the spring game?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Sounded like Crow looked really good as well. Did our defensive studs play any? Dewey, Carl, Logan, Yo?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

wyokoke wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 am Sounded like Crow looked really good as well. Did our defensive studs play any? Dewey, Carl, Logan, Yo?
None of those guys played yesterday. Guess coaches kept them out to keep them healthy.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Coach Bohl on the Spring game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rneWn6VZLg
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 am
Expat_Poke wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 am

Go, Pokes!

Thanks

I fully understand that there are different ways of looking at and evaluating the Spring game. My comment was solely about how stupid Bobo's comment was, and it was not a comment on UW in any way. Bobo made a really idiotic statement after the spring game where his offense ripped his defense something like 72-0, saying that it was a great spring ending game. The reality of the stupidity of his comment came around to bite him on the backside the next season when the rammies had such a horrible defense. I could have never have played for a guy with the name BOBO!

But in evaluating the Pokes Spring game, I do feel that it is a same assumption that the Pokes defense is sound and was very difficult to play against despite the lack of first teamers that were playing because we have recruited and have the type of depth that we have now, except maybe at the DE position which we were extremely thin at due to injuries. The final score was indicative of a close game. I didn't get the sense that there were a lot of mistakes as there weren't a lot of penalties called, but as with young players I am sure that things could have been "cleaned up" some as well. I am not going to rate the Spring game as nothing more than a good step and learning experience for a team that is on its way up.
Ok, I got what you are writing now. I haven't seen any of the spring game, but from what I have been reading I would be inclined to agree with your last line. I still am concerned regarding the offense. And with your point, the defense last year was good, but good teams like Boise were still able to hang over 20 points on them and lest we forget Oregon. In other words, even with our defense of last year, a good offense could move and score on them.

But yes 72-0 is absolutely what you don't want in your spring game. On the other hand a coach that says that is a great spring game is absolutely who I want coaching CSU.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Flo4wyo
Buckaroo

Nico Evans and Mike Green had no choice but to run the ball, the only two healthy RB left to play. Green has yet to get a carry in an actual game. Evans ran well but I seriously doubt he gets the start over Overstreet or Woods come fall. Hes been a good Special teams player. Smith is a career back up for a reason. TVW needs experience and should be the starter. Was nice to see the TEs being used, but is that something we will see more of or a product of easy throws for a spring game. Wingard, Wilson, Granderson, Prosser, Gaifhan, Epps, Cain and Hall did not play. Some were suited out and others have been inured all spring. But Granderson is huge, he is going to punish people this fall. Roth missed two filed goals and then ironically kicked the ball out of bounds giving the Gold team the ball at the 35, to help set up his winning FG. There were punts and kick offs but no returns. Defense has plenty of depth. Offensive line looked good for the most part, but I was concerned at seeing two Walk On DLineman in the backfield a few times........no knock on the two wheatland kids, they play hard but have no business being on the field.