What QB's are they talking about?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

This is from an article that Brandon just did on the WR's. They are talking about how important it is for the WR's to work with the QB's, and how each QB is different. C.J. Johnson is talking about being back by mid-August, and it will depend upon how his knee goes as to if and how many games he might miss. He did mention that Okwoli's surgery and recovery is about a month ahead of C.J.'s, so it looks like it is a good shot that Okwoli will be back for Fall Camp and the start of the regular season, but not so much for C.J.

I thought that all of this talk about adding new QB's over the summer was interesting. Vigen mentions that the Pokes are down in numbers on scholarship QB's. From these comments it appears that the coaching staff will be seriously looking to get another grad transfer QB in before next season starts. They also talk about Chambers a little, but he is already counted in the numbers. There are two W/O QB's that I am aware of, one from a HS in Colorado and the other a JC QB that was originally from Omaha, NE.. Neither one of these guys do I get the impression are anyone that they are talking about when adding another scholarship QB. I haven't been looking at them too closely, but what grad transfer QB's from a Pro Set are out there....and will be maybe deciding in the next couple of weeks? My take on things, no matter if Bohl names a starting QB after Spring Ball, the position is still very much up for grabs when fall camp comes around.

Per Brandon:

"Added Johnson: “It’s very important, and it’s definitely something that we have to work on this summer. Especially with all the new quarterbacks it looks like are going to be joining us over the summer.”

"Price also alluded to the Cowboys having “a lot of new quarterbacks” this summer. Michigan graduate transfer Wilton Speight, who was reportedly considering Wyoming, recently committed to UCLA. Still, might the quarterback competition consist of players who aren’t yet in Laramie?

“Well, we’ll have to see,” Wyoming offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Brent Vigen said. “We’re short numbers, from a scholarship perspective, so we’ll have to see what the next few weeks bring I guess.”

The Cowboys will also add a scholarship quarterback this summer in three-star signee Sean Chambers. But whoever is throwing the ball next season, it won’t be a 6-foot-5 gunslinger from Firebaugh, California. (Even if Chambers is 6-foot-3 and from nearby Kerman.)"
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

I took a cursory look at the grad QB transfers listed in the link and list that CowboyNV provided earlier. I feel that just taking a cursory look eliminates a number of these guys. Of the 9 guys mentioned on web site for grad transfers for QB's I would eliminate 6 right off the bat.

Eliminated QB's:
Jeff George, Jr. (Illinois) - remarkably unproductive QB at Illinois despite being the son of the Ilini great.
Garrett Kruczek (E. Kentucky) - already transferred once from Cent. Florida and is a 6-2 dual threat QB.
Isaac Harker (Indiana State) - a 6-0 dual threat QB.
Chris Chugunov (W. Virginia) - a 6-1 option QB from New Jersey.
Ryan Boyle (Iowa) - a 6-2 dual threat QB.
Tucker Israel (Clemson) - a 5-11 option QB.

The three possible QB's I am thinking:
Jacob Park (Iowa State) - a 6-4 205 QB from Charleston, S.C.. Played a lot last yr but lost his starting role.
Quinten Dormady (Tennessee) - a 6-4 222 QB from Boerne, TX..
J.J. Consentino (Florida State) - a 6-5 230 QB from Lower Burrell, PA.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Interesting....

At first I was going to comment that you were reading too much into the comments because "new QBs" simply means "not Josh Allen." But reading over the full article, that doesn't look to be the case.

They do have Chambers and I thought that walk-on from like Nebraska or somewhere, but it does sound like there's another arm or two possibly involved.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

It doesn't only have to be grad transfers we're looking at. I wouldn't rule out a JUCO kid.

One in particular I've stumbled on: Asher O'Hara (College of DuPage). He doesn't have the prototypical size, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Brent Vigen, Gordie Haug and Scott Fuchs have all followed the kid on Twitter.

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Another JUCO kid with a handful of follows from Wyoming staff. Not a lock that either kid will sign, but I'd guess they're at least possibilities.

PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

My first impression was like yours, I thought that they were talking about Chambers and the W/O's, but then they talked about knowing within the next few weeks. That told me that it is someone that hasn't signed, so it had to be someone completely different than the ones that we have already talked about.

You could very well be right on track, you have done some research on those JC guys. I guess I was thinking more of a short term answer at QB than either a 2 or 3 yr Juco guy, but who knows, Josh was a Juco.

Both of these QB's you mentioned are very different types. Nyc Burns from NE Oklahoma is a 6'-5" 200 QB that looks like much more of a pocket type of passer. Asher O'Hara on the other hand is a 6'-0" 190 dual threat type of guy, but all he does is produce. His completion rate is something like 65%. My feeling is that the Wyoming coaches are actively searching for another QB that will be put on scholarship for next year that can come in and compete for the starting position right away as I feel that the coaches want more competition at the QB position.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 pm It doesn't only have to be grad transfers we're looking at. I wouldn't rule out a JUCO kid.

One in particular I've stumbled on: Asher O'Hara (College of DuPage). He doesn't have the prototypical size, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Brent Vigen, Gordie Haug and Scott Fuchs have all followed the kid on Twitter.

I'd take him and his receivers
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

There is one name not mentioned here, that I hope doesn't get mentioned here - for the sake of keeping it under the rug and out of the press / social media. Sometimes the "eager" rumor monger can be detrimental to the process.

:whistle:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 am There is one name not mentioned here, that I hope doesn't get mentioned here - for the sake of keeping it under the rug and out of the press / social media. Sometimes the "eager" rumor monger can be detrimental to the process.

We just got made into a, "eager" rumor monger.....I will remember that if you ever share thoughts or information. But this is a sports board where people share thoughts and information, and frankly it was Brandon that brought this subject up, and all we did was comment on an existing story and go to PUBLIC sites and share that information that was already out there for everyone to see....and we are "eager" rumor mongers. Good grief! A little jumping to the extreme there McPeachy? I have no wish to ever ruin the chances of the Pokes getting a great recruit. Obviously you have some "inside" info, good for you, and you just keep it to yourself. :thumb:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 am There is one name not mentioned here, that I hope doesn't get mentioned here - for the sake of keeping it under the rug and out of the press / social media. Sometimes the "eager" rumor monger can be detrimental to the process.

We just got made into a, "eager" rumor monger.....I will remember that if you ever share thoughts or information. But this is a sports board where people share thoughts and information, and frankly it was Brandon that brought this subject up, and all we did was comment on an existing story and go to PUBLIC sites and share that information that was already out there for everyone to see....and we are "eager" rumor mongers. Good grief! A little jumping to the extreme there McPeachy? I have no wish to ever ruin the chances of the Pokes getting a great recruit. Obviously you have some "inside" info, good for you, and you just keep it to yourself. :thumb:
LOL!!! Easy there. We - doesn't refer to you - or was it you that called us all "boneheads" saying that Wilton was not going to go to UCLA? I certainly don't think that is the case, but you sure headed that direction with this post (it makes me wonder...is potatowhatever the same as keepitrealwhatever)? Some of this kind of poop can be detrimental to the recruiting process. Certainly you get that, or I hope you will.

Side note: I don't think this board should be a place to throw out poop and see what sticks (ergo, being eager rumor mongers). But that is just my dime, from experiences posting information in the past that was just that - rumor. I learned a few lessons along the way, and don't mention much, until I can specifically and personally confirm it. Like the Adidas uniform deal, that I posted about, a week plus before the media picked it up.

Either way, have a great week Potato!
Dear Karma,

PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am

LOL!!! Easy there. We - doesn't refer to you - or was it you that called us all "boneheads" saying that Wilton was not going to go to UCLA? I certainly don't think that is the case, but you sure headed that direction with this post (it makes me wonder...is potatowhatever the same as keepitrealwhatever)? Some of this kind of poop can be detrimental to the recruiting process. Certainly you get that, or I hope you will.

Side note: I don't think this board should be a place to throw out poop and see what sticks (ergo, being eager rumor mongers). But that is just my dime, from experiences posting information in the past that was just that - rumor. I learned a few lessons along the way, and don't mention much, until I can specifically and personally confirm it. Like the Adidas uniform deal, that I posted about, a week plus before the media picked it up.

The word "boneheads" has never been typed from my keyboard until this exact sentence....no I am not the one that called people any names...I read it and that was all. I am even getting a bigger laugh, when you compare me to ....keepitrealwhatever....no I am not him either.

I can easily understand how releasing private information and not keeping confidences can harm the recruiting process, and none of that was violated in any way. I wouldn't do that simply for the chance of doing a one-up. I hope that the coaches bring in an incredible QB that is ready to take the reins for next season. I think that Bohl sees he has so many other components of this team in place and would hate to let those go to waste by not getting the absolute best QB that he could. Good luck to the coaching staff. I would have to think that this available QB scholarship would be a great opportunity for a QB that is almost ready to take that next step in college athletics and prepare himself even more for an opportunity of playing in the NFL.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

Maybe just a hint?
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

:popcorn:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Has this been confirmed? Are the Pokes wearing Adidas in spring ball? I haven't heard anything final.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

SLCPoke wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Maybe just a hint?
Yeah, come on! let's hear some names. I love rumors. And I highly doubt that someone is going to let this board influence any decisions.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

How about Jacob Paker from Iowa state. He got in some trouble but is talented.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am Side note: I don't think this board should be a place to throw out poop and see what sticks (ergo, being eager rumor mongers). But that is just my dime, from experiences posting information in the past that was just that - rumor. I learned a few lessons along the way, and don't mention much, until I can specifically and personally confirm it. Like the Adidas uniform deal, that I posted about, a week plus before the media picked it up.
But it's so fun! Otherwise wives of former coaches might not show up and try to set the record straight!! :rofl: :rofl:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am Side note: I don't think this board should be a place to throw out poop and see what sticks (ergo, being eager rumor mongers). But that is just my dime, from experiences posting information in the past that was just that - rumor. I learned a few lessons along the way, and don't mention much, until I can specifically and personally confirm it. Like the Adidas uniform deal, that I posted about, a week plus before the media picked it up.
But it's so fun! Otherwise wives of former coaches might not show up and try to set the record straight!! :rofl: :rofl:
Please refresh my memory!!! I don't remember that...
Dear Karma,

J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

There was a time and day when Josh Allen lost a QB battle to Cam Coffman. I'm not convinced TVW isn't the answer just cause he hasn't won practice.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am
cali2wyo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm
Please refresh my memory!!! I don't remember that...
I'm surprised you don't remember Susie stopping by...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13300