Not a done deal...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Onepokeoverthe line - No worries, man. It was fun and I don't doubt that you reported everything correctly that you heard. It was a fun message board rumor. No harm.

Speight does sound like a puss if he told the coaches he was committing and was speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Slime ball
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:04 pm He'll, Smith would have great highlight film with that protection.
Do you remember the SJSU game? He HAD solid protection. His throws were still 10 yards off from the receiver. Run blocking was fine too... it was just that Smith and Woods were useless. Overstreet averaged 8.2 YPC in that game. Woods was at 2.4 and still got about the same number of carries.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Yeah, your info was greatly appreciated onePokeovertheline. Grad transfers are similar to high school recruits. After following recruiting over the years and seeing kids be decked out in team gear, their bedrooms covered in their "committed" team's colors, etc...only to commit elsewhere on singing day, I'm never surprised by a flip flop. They can say they're 1000% all in, but it's never over until they sign and show up.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm It is a Done Deal
He is not going to UCLA
Figure it out Boneheads
Take your own advice, and keep it real. You look like a f-word fool for posting that. :rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am Yeah, your info was greatly appreciated onePokeovertheline. Grad transfers are similar to high school recruits. After following recruiting over the years and seeing kids be decked out in team gear, their bedrooms covered in their "committed" team's colors, etc...only to commit elsewhere on singing day, I'm never surprised by a flip flop. They can say they're 1000% all in, but it's never over until they sign and show up.
In a way, hiring works this way too. A better offer can come in at any point in the process, including the day they're supposed to show up for their first day of work.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

He is not going to UCLA
Figure it out Boneheads
This is hilarious.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Thought it was a done deal?

Hard to understand what's going through a 20 year old's head. But just an odd fit for him and UCLA. Playing in an offense that is not going to help his draft stock. Come play for Wyoming, in a pro style offense, and increase your draft stock more than you could at UCLA. Seemed obvious to me.
I'm good for 3!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:00 am Thought it was a done deal?

Hard to understand what's going through a 20 year old's head. But just an odd fit for him and UCLA. Playing in an offense that is not going to help his draft stock. Come play for Wyoming, in a pro style offense, and increase your draft stock more than you could at UCLA. Seemed obvious to me.
Marcus Marriota seems to be doing ok after playing for Chip Kelly.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

I certainly won't hold it against him (unless he really did give his word he was coming). I mean lets be honest here, a 20 year old deciding if he wants to live in Southern California and play in the Pac 12 or Laramie? Sure there are some of us crazy enough to pick Laramie but not many would.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

303cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 am
bladerunnr wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

I certainly won't hold it against him (unless he really did give his word he was coming). I mean lets be honest here, a 20 year old deciding if he wants to live in Southern California and play in the Pac 12 or Laramie? Sure there are some of us crazy enough to pick Laramie but not many would.
I'm just speaking to his draft stock. His playing style is nothing like Marcus Mariota and I'm not saying the spread does not produce quality NFL QB's. For Speight, who is a slower pocket style QB it's just an odd fit for his style of play. I believe his draft value would be higher had he chosen a school that better fits his abilities. That's all.
I'm good for 3!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Speight is a statue. I too find myself wondering how that's going to work.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

onePokeovertheline wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:00 am
PotatoCreekPete wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 pm Just saw this a little while ago.....

"Wilton Speight announces on Instagram that he's headed to UCLA for his final season"

Did he pull a big switcher-r-roo, or ?????

Don't know what to think.....????

OnePokeOvertheLine,c an you straighten this out? Thanks.
This thread was started by me right after I was told that Speight sent a text to a coach saying he was coming. Having previously seen players flip commitments I wasn't willing to stick my neck out on it but since I had the nugget I started this thread "not a done deal yet but..." If this information is accurate (the text) and then he publicly commits yesterday to UCLA, I say good riddance as this isn't the type of guy we want (even though it's becoming perfectly clear that we desperately need a new QB).

I was also told the other day that his parents were gonna make a visit before he made his commitment public...I don't know the accuracy of that but it instantly made me nervous. I believe they are from Virginia for whatever that's worth.

So Potato, yes it appears he did pull the ole switcharoo.

I think Sean Chambers is gonna get a real serious look when he shows up if we don't get a crack at another grad transfer.

FWIW, a pro style quarterback at Nebraska announced yesterday that he is leaving there (Patrick O'Brien). I think he was a four star. Unfortunately if he came to WYO he'd have to sit out next season so that wouldn't help us this fall.
Don't worry, onePokeovertheline, I understand your hesitation and it was well founded. You are fine with me. I have had information provided in the past, and some of it has already happened or you feel comfortable enough in the outcome to post it, but every once in a while, you hear something and you just don't have that comfort feeling. The guy that posted on the other site, his info was based upon his source, and he went with it. He had to do the two step when it turned, but no one held him to anything. It really sounds like Wilton pulled a "my word only means something after I have signed on the dotted line and NOT before trick!". I agree, I feel that Chambers will get a long look as well. My take is that Nick Smith is not the answer, and Tyler Vander Waal just hasn't taken charge, and so it is a toss-up and not a great one. Do you get the feeling that the coaches are still interested in other grad transfers?
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

The Grad Transfer Tracker: https://gradtransfertracker.com

Great site to see who intends to transfer and who has already committed—Football and Basketball.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm
onePokeovertheline wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:00 am
PotatoCreekPete wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 pm Just saw this a little while ago.....

"Wilton Speight announces on Instagram that he's headed to UCLA for his final season"

Did he pull a big switcher-r-roo, or ?????

Don't know what to think.....????

OnePokeOvertheLine,c an you straighten this out? Thanks.
This thread was started by me right after I was told that Speight sent a text to a coach saying he was coming. Having previously seen players flip commitments I wasn't willing to stick my neck out on it but since I had the nugget I started this thread "not a done deal yet but..." If this information is accurate (the text) and then he publicly commits yesterday to UCLA, I say good riddance as this isn't the type of guy we want (even though it's becoming perfectly clear that we desperately need a new QB).

I was also told the other day that his parents were gonna make a visit before he made his commitment public...I don't know the accuracy of that but it instantly made me nervous. I believe they are from Virginia for whatever that's worth.

So Potato, yes it appears he did pull the ole switcharoo.

I think Sean Chambers is gonna get a real serious look when he shows up if we don't get a crack at another grad transfer.

FWIW, a pro style quarterback at Nebraska announced yesterday that he is leaving there (Patrick O'Brien). I think he was a four star. Unfortunately if he came to WYO he'd have to sit out next season so that wouldn't help us this fall.
Don't worry, onePokeovertheline, I understand your hesitation and it was well founded. You are fine with me. I have had information provided in the past, and some of it has already happened or you feel comfortable enough in the outcome to post it, but every once in a while, you hear something and you just don't have that comfort feeling. The guy that posted on the other site, his info was based upon his source, and he went with it. He had to do the two step when it turned, but no one held him to anything. It really sounds like Wilton pulled a "my word only means something after I have signed on the dotted line and NOT before trick!". I agree, I feel that Chambers will get a long look as well. My take is that Nick Smith is not the answer, and Tyler Vander Waal just hasn't taken charge, and so it is a toss-up and not a great one. Do you get the feeling that the coaches are still interested in other grad transfers?
No intel on whether they are or aren’t. I just think there is a reason why they were pursuing this one and that is that no one on the roster is giving them confidence. That’s why my gut tells me the freshman will get a serious evaluation.

I would hope that if it’s a dead heat, that they choose to go TVW as we know what we get with Nick when the whistle blows and there is another color across the line of scrimmage.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

TrackPoke wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm The Grad Transfer Tracker: https://gradtransfertracker.com

Great site to see who intends to transfer and who has already committed—Football and Basketball.
Just glancing at the potential list of QB's, here's what could be available:

Park from Iowa State
Dormady from Tennessee
George from Illinois
Israel from Clemson
Consentino from Florida State
Boyle from Iowa
Chugunov from West Virginia
Harker from Indiana State
Kruczek from Eastern Kentucky

I haven't checked any of these guys out, so not sure of their situations, majors, etc., even if they are considering a transfer, but there are still possibilities it seems if Bohl and company want to go outside the system. On a side note, the web site lists Brinkley Jolly from good old UW as a possible transfer (he is listed on the 2018 roster)
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Ryan Boyle would be an interesting get, but I would figure he is transferring to a lower classification. He basically had no stats at Iowa and played receiver one year so he is a good athlete. Not exactly in the mold of a Bohl QB size wise but had quite the prep career.
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am
TrackPoke wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm The Grad Transfer Tracker: https://gradtransfertracker.com

Park from Iowa State
Dormady from Tennessee
George from Illinois
Israel from Clemson
Boyle from Iowa

I haven't checked any of these guys out, so not sure of their situations, majors, etc., even if they are considering a transfer, but there are still possibilities it seems if Bohl and company want to go outside the system. On a side note, the web site lists Brinkley Jolly from good old UW as a possible transfer (he is listed on the 2018 roster)
Wyoming has already announced that Jolly has left the team.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wicks wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am

Park from Iowa State
Dormady from Tennessee
George from Illinois
Israel from Clemson
Boyle from Iowa

Wyoming has already announced that Jolly has left the team.
My bad, I have been moving stuff to our Florida home and must have missed that announcement while away from the Internet.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am
He is not going to UCLA
Figure it out Boneheads
Take your own advice, and keep it real. You look like a f-word fool for posting that. :rofl:
https://youtu.be/p0DASNUWpig
Reminds me of the scene in Clerks where Randall tells Dante about his cousin accidentally breaking his neck while trying to fellate himself...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory