Not a done deal...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

J-Bone wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm For those interested, here's a 2016 Speight highlight reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZIscqNXVI
He reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger. He has good feet, looks to keep himself balanced and has a strong enough arm to make basically all the throws. He is an upgrade over Nick Smith that is for sure. I haven't seen Tyler Vander Waal on anything other than tape from HS, and if he is neck to neck with Nick Smith, then Wilton Speight would definitely be an upgrade over him at this point as well.

I really hope that he decides to come to UW, and do honestly feel it would be best for him and UW.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

J-Bone wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm For those interested, here's a 2016 Speight highlight reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZIscqNXVI
After watch JA for the past two years everyone else sucks.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

https://twitter.com/MikeSullivan/status ... 2806157313
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Pretty cool that we are competing with Chip Kelly and UCLA on a QB and by all accounts winning. Goes to show you how valuable all the publicity we've received lately really is.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

It is a Done Deal
He is not going to UCLA
Figure it out Boneheads
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

There are photos of him at UCLA's practice today. His second "visit there in the last few weeks". Apparently Wyoming is a lot better at keeping practice private than UCLA.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I like how Bohl is turning the program into Reloading not Rebuilding at this point. The thought of Wyoming becoming consistently competitive year in and year out has me super excited. Speight would be a great one year fill in as we find out who the long term QB can be.
I'm good for 3!
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

The other website is reporting that he committed to UW. I had heard that before but wasn't willing to say done deal cuz well, it's not. My source told me that he committed but that his parents were coming to check it out. Wasn't sure when that was happening and don't know how much power they hold over him...hence the topic name of this thread. I still think he's coming, but holding out until the official announcement is made...
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BJC
A Real Cowboy

Well there we go...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

onePokeovertheline wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 pm The other website is reporting that he committed to UW. I had heard that before but wasn't willing to say done deal cuz well, it's not. My source told me that he committed but that his parents were coming to check it out. Wasn't sure when that was happening and don't know how much power they hold over him...hence the topic name of this thread. I still think he's coming, but holding out until the official announcement is made...
onePokeovertheline: better journalistic integrity than majority of today's media.

I'm sure some will disagree, but I think UW dodged a bullet. I've read soooooo much negative garbage about this kid, on and off the field.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Bummer. We will win a lot of games with our defense but I don’t believe we can win the conference with where our Qb’s are at ( maybe TVW or Chambers is the guy in the future with development). Seems like it would be the ideal year to get 5th year transfer to try and get a title. Oh well can’t bitch about winning ways with our recent history.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm It is a Done Deal
He is not going to UCLA
Figure it out Boneheads
Cant believe us boneheads thought UCLA had a shot
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Seems to be the minority opinion, but I'm with J-Rod on this. We don't need a head case, especially one that doesn't add much to the team
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Just saw this a little while ago.....

"Wilton Speight announces on Instagram that he's headed to UCLA for his final season"

Did he pull a big switcher-r-roo, or ?????

Don't know what to think.....????

OnePokeOvertheLine,c an you straighten this out? Thanks.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm It is a Done Deal
He is not going to UCLA
Figure it out Boneheads
Lol. Dino, man, come on. Losing your touch.

Our O is that bad and plugging a QB in isn't helping much. We had a top 5 draft pick and were near bottom in offense. Anyone associated with Josh, draft experts, talent evaluators, hell, even our OC was explaining why our O was a LIABILITY for Josh.

That is not an enticing situation for a transfer no matter spread vs pro style vs yadaa yadaa.

It is what it is. I commend Josh and Bohl for even getting us in the conversation with transfers but until we have some substance to our O, we are not a good landing spot for upper end transfers. Before fanboys jump all over me, by upper end I mean good to decent players with several other options.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

onePokeovertheline wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 pm The other website is reporting that he committed to UW. I had heard that before but wasn't willing to say done deal cuz well, it's not. My source told me that he committed but that his parents were coming to check it out. Wasn't sure when that was happening and don't know how much power they hold over him...hence the topic name of this thread. I still think he's coming, but holding out until the official announcement is made...
To be clear, the other website (I assume you are referencing the Rivals site) did not report that. There was one poster who claimed that, but just like here anybody can post anything.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 pm Just saw this a little while ago.....

"Wilton Speight announces on Instagram that he's headed to UCLA for his final season"

Did he pull a big switcher-r-roo, or ?????

Don't know what to think.....????

OnePokeOvertheLine,c an you straighten this out? Thanks.
This thread was started by me right after I was told that Speight sent a text to a coach saying he was coming. Having previously seen players flip commitments I wasn't willing to stick my neck out on it but since I had the nugget I started this thread "not a done deal yet but..." If this information is accurate (the text) and then he publicly commits yesterday to UCLA, I say good riddance as this isn't the type of guy we want (even though it's becoming perfectly clear that we desperately need a new QB).

I was also told the other day that his parents were gonna make a visit before he made his commitment public...I don't know the accuracy of that but it instantly made me nervous. I believe they are from Virginia for whatever that's worth.

So Potato, yes it appears he did pull the ole switcharoo.

I think Sean Chambers is gonna get a real serious look when he shows up if we don't get a crack at another grad transfer.

FWIW, a pro style quarterback at Nebraska announced yesterday that he is leaving there (Patrick O'Brien). I think he was a four star. Unfortunately if he came to WYO he'd have to sit out next season so that wouldn't help us this fall.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 am
To be clear, the other website (I assume you are referencing the Rivals site) did not report that. There was one poster who claimed that, but just like here anybody can post anything.
You are correct, poor choice of words on my part.