Spring Ball Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WR Scott broke finger and is out. Dang.

Bohl mentioned Tyler Hall to nickel will be a great move or something like that. T. Hall might be my favorite player on this team. So fast, physical and explosive. Wish he could get involved on offense a bit, too. Hope he can put on a little weight so he holds up throughout the season at nickel.

Mentioned Vanderwaal had some good throws yesterday. Bohl's being diplomatic about the QB competition so far.

Said the young cornerbacks (Blankenbaker, Coldon, B. Smith) are really good. Nice!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

I still wonder if there isn't a grad QB transfer somewhere in the mix. Bohl is being very coy with his QB comments and does not seem overly focused on or concerned about the QB position. He does offer critiques about hitting throws and what not, but it isn't as pitched as it otherwise could be.
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

I just noticed Gordy Haug and Justin Mesa just followed Wilton Speight on twitter.... :popcorn:
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

How about that? Good find.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Ive been saying for months that there has to be a grad transfer QB in the works. Bohl is too good of a coach to waste an opportunity like this with an elite defense. If not, I will be disappointed. Nick Smith, while a competitor, would not be the answer at most Division 2 schools let alone an FBS.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

wiley wapiti wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:13 am I just noticed Gordy Haug and Justin Mesa just followed Wilton Speight on twitter.... :popcorn:
I get the motive for speight, but does wyoming become a 1 stop shop for grad transfers?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyoklaelk wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 pm
wiley wapiti wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:13 am I just noticed Gordy Haug and Justin Mesa just followed Wilton Speight on twitter.... :popcorn:
I get the motive for speight, but does wyoming become a 1 stop shop for grad transfers?
Because we bring in 1 guy?! Let's pump the brakes here, we haven't even got one yet, let alone enough to consider it a trend.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 pm
Wyoklaelk wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 pm
Because we bring in 1 guy?! Let's pump the brakes here, we haven't even got one yet, let alone enough to consider it a trend.
I mean Cam Coffman was one lol...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... e185e.html

This discusses the new strength staff. Everything seems really positive. One thing that I liked is they are focusing on strength and getting bigger (article mentioned that won't necessarily be the case in the fall) rather than conditioning and running. I'm a fan of this approach. Fall is the time to get in shape cardiovascularly. Spring is the time to get huge. You don't even need to be in that great of shape cardio-wise for football anyway.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I agree that now is a good time to focus less on conditioning and more on size and strength. But I would argue that fall is much to late to get in shape with cardio. As the spring semester ends, they should start hitting cardio harder and focus less on getting stronger and bigger and more on getting faster and in better cardio shape while maintaining the size and strength they gained in the spring.

That way, come fall camp, they just have to maintain everything, not worry about gains.