If Gonzaga rumors are true and...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

We bail byu out, I'll be super pissed. There is 0 incentive to let them back in especially with usu now here.

Hoping for the Zags, but NO to byu. Burman, please don't let it happen.

That, and I figured off-season board was incomplete with just uni talks. Gotta have an expansion thread.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

There's no incentive to bring YBU in. With Gonzaga, the MWC would have 12 Basketball/Olympic Sports schools, and 12 football schools with Hawaii.

YBU would make an uneven and migraine inducing 13.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 pm There's no incentive to bring YBU in. With Gonzaga, the MWC would have 12 Basketball/Olympic Sports schools, and 12 football schools with Hawaii.

YBU would make an uneven and migraine inducing 13.
Yup. I hope Thompson stands strong. If they want back in, THEY"LL be the ones making concessions, not the MWC.

Their football is crumbling in Independence, and the WCC might as well be the Big West without Gonzaga. It would be another nail in the coffin for that athletic department if the MWC doesn't bail them out. Fall of 2017 was just the beginning, Y fans.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

No to BYU
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I actually hope they do come back and we boot SJSU. It would be an instant boost to the conference and would actually help pull the lower half of the MWC out of the national squaller they're in. Plus, it would be SO awesome beating the poop out of them each and every year in each and every sport. It surprises me there is so much aggravation about this. We all hate CSU but no one is calling for them to be banished never to return.

And I know, I know, "they tried to kill the MWC" and "they think they're better everyone" and "let them toil in obscurity" blah blah blah. The bottom line is they are a far better draw than SJSU. They will help the conference. They will reestablish a number of legacy rivalries. I am all for it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I have also heard St. Mary's may be linked to this. Grand Canyon as well. Would make for quite an intriguing basketball conference to say the least. Should be an interesting couple months until this all gets squared away.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

byu is a destabilizing force and there is no way to live with them in a G5 conference while Utah is in the P12.

There is no problem scheduling them if a team wants to. Adding them does nothing for WYOs bottom line and only helps folks on message boards boast about conference strength.

Most years with or without byu, the MWC football champ will be in control of their own destiny for the AQ bid. SJSUs drag on rpi is a different issue that can be resolved without byu.

Leave them where they are. Everyone is happier.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 am byu is a destabilizing force and there is no way to live with them in a G5 conference while Utah is in the P12.

There is no problem scheduling them if a team wants to. Adding them does nothing for WYOs bottom line and only helps folks on message boards boast about conference strength.

Most years with or without byu, the MWC football champ will be in control of their own destiny for the AQ bid. SJSUs drag on rpi is a different issue that can be resolved without byu.

If any of this was true, these rumors of negotiating their return wouldn't be going on. IF thye truly posed no value to the MWC it wouldn't be an issue.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 am I actually hope they do come back and we boot SJSU. It would be an instant boost to the conference and would actually help pull the lower half of the MWC out of the national squaller they're in. Plus, it would be SO awesome beating the poop out of them each and every year in each and every sport. It surprises me there is so much aggravation about this. We all hate CSU but no one is calling for them to be banished never to return.

And I know, I know, "they tried to kill the MWC" and "they think they're better everyone" and "let them toil in obscurity" blah blah blah. The bottom line is they are a far better draw than SJSU. They will help the conference. They will reestablish a number of legacy rivalries. I am all for it.
I agree. I would have them back if it included football and they replaced SJSU(I don't want a 13 team conference). They shouldn't get any special deals to come back. We are in a position of strength and if they bring everything back we will take them. Its good to have a bad guy and BYU plays that part very well. If they are talking about everything but football then no way or if we have to give them a special deal then no way. Its not worth it. But if they want to come back as a full member then I would be ok with it. I don't care that they are trying to get into a P5 conference, so is CSU and SDSU and FSU and everyone else. I think that ship has sailed.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 am byu is a destabilizing force and there is no way to live with them in a G5 conference while Utah is in the P12.

If any of this was true, these rumors of negotiating their return wouldn't be going on. IF thye truly posed no value to the MWC it wouldn't be an issue.
Did CT say he had discussions with byu? The quote I saw said the opposite.

Either way, I wouldn't consider MWC leadership as visionary. We have quite a few new schools who have no idea how bad having byu is.

Here is the roadmap if they come back. Their pride is bruised even more. They continue to fail and blame the conference. In order to appease their delusion, they work to try to form a "best of the rest" conference with tv rights that match byu's desires. SDSU, CSU, and a few others would bite. Successful? Who knows. Destabilizing? You bet. Their desires to join P5 have nothing to do with it. Their desire to create an image that they are keeping pace with Utah is destructive. I hope CT is correct and there have been 0 discussions with byu.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Either way, I wouldn't consider MWC leadership as visionary. We have quite a few new schools who have no idea how bad having byu is.

Here is the roadmap if they come back. Their pride is bruised even more. They continue to fail and blame the conference. In order to appease their delusion, they work to try to form a "best of the rest" conference with tv rights that match byu's desires. SDSU, CSU, and a few others would bite. Successful? Who knows. Destabilizing? You bet. Their desires to join P5 have nothing to do with it. Their desire to create an image that they are keeping pace with Utah is destructive. I hope CT is correct and there have been 0 discussions with byu.
I have read reports saying yes and I have read reports saying no. Who knows.

That being said, if BYU was smart, they would be doing everything in their power to hitch their wagon to Gonzaga or theyre going to get left behind in a conference worse than the old WAC.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Who the hell cares? They are already doing this. 98.6% of the teams in the country are unhappy in their current situation and wish it was better. Doesn't mean anyone gets a bigger slice to the "cake" without earning it. IF BYU comes back, it will be with no strings, no frills, and no special treatment. They will be a newer, less ethnic SJSU.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Who the hell cares? They are already doing this. 98.6% of the teams in the country are unhappy in their current situation and wish it was better. Doesn't mean anyone gets a bigger slice to the "cake" without earning it. IF BYU comes back, it will be with no strings, no frills, and no special treatment. They will be a newer, less ethnic SJSU.
BYU is in no way a newer, less ethnic SJSU. That is an awful comparison. They are a big program, like it or not. They are awful, but they are big. They have a 20K b-ball arena and a 65K football stadium that they are more than capable of filling, along with dozens upon dozens of conference championships.

I think ragtime is right in that the biggest problem with BYU is really tied to their dick measuring competition they are constantly in with Utah, and they are losing that one very badly. Independence was directly related to Utah’s jump. They cannot tolerate being on a lower rung of the ladder as Utah. That is the problem. Everyone is looking out only for themselves, I get that. Wyoming would jump to the Big 12 if offered. The problem with BYU is they will undertake other avenues to achieve their perceived goal of equal level with Utah, like subverting the whole conference.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:26 pm

BYU is in no way a newer, less ethnic SJSU. That is an awful comparison. They are a big program, like it or not. They are awful, but they are big. They have a 20K b-ball arena and a 65K football stadium that they are more than capable of filling, along with dozens upon dozens of conference championships.

I think ragtime is right in that the biggest problem with BYU is really tied to their dick measuring competition they are constantly in with Utah, and they are losing that one very badly. Independence was directly related to Utah’s jump. They cannot tolerate being on a lower rung of the ladder as Utah. That is the problem. Everyone is looking out only for themselves, I get that. Wyoming would jump to the Big 12 if offered. The problem with BYU is they will undertake other avenues to achieve their perceived goal of equal level with Utah, like subverting the whole conference.
I agree completely. The point of that was illustrating they are not going to get any kind of special deal. They will be treated as if they are SJSU. Nothing more.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I just want BYU to die a slow and painful death where nobody cares about them anymore.

IF for some weird reason, we'd let them in again, there better be solid contracts drawn up with stiff penalties they have to pay if they leave or if they otherwise try to break up the conference. We're talking $100 Million+ (which would be less than $10M per team, but still).

On top of that, they need to drop that stupid purity crap they use to shame and hide victims of rape and the deed assault and actually go after the perpetrators, regardless of who they may be.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Completely and totally agree, ragtime. ,NO to BYU
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

No. Never. BYU.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/st ... ontent=amp

Comment regarding byu is reassuring. I'll bet the byu-relates rumors originate in Utah. That school has a delusion that they are the center of the universe. We are better without them and are moving on without them.

Kudos to MWC leadership if they pull this off. Building the premier (or close to it) bball conference in the West! If we can football going, MWC is trending up.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/st ... ontent=amp

Comment regarding byu is reassuring. I'll bet the byu-relates rumors originate in Utah. That school has a delusion that they are the center of the universe. We are better without them and are moving on without them.

Kudos to MWC leadership if they pull this off. Building the premier (or close to it) bball conference in the West! If we can football going, MWC is trending up.
We need our program to step it up or we will be right there with SJSU. (I threw up in my mouth a little writing that)
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

F--k byu*.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory