If Gonzaga rumors are true and...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Welcome aboard The Zags would be a welcome addition, byu???????
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

https://twitter.com/josh_linke/status/9 ... 4042161152 Edit: I have no idea if this is a credible source, but judging by convo on the mwcboard he may have inside information on the matter.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 pm https://twitter.com/josh_linke/status/9 ... 4042161152 Edit: I have no idea if this is a credible source, but judging by convo on the mwcboard he may have inside information on the matter.
Please let this be true. Better for the MWC and strikes a huge blow to byu. The meltdown in Utah will be awesome!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

*A Few Years Later*
Later on, BYU gets kicked out of the WCC for bringing their RPI down, making present SJSU look like the Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls, and all of their sports are left to Independence.

Meanwhile, the MWC has fully moved on from scheduling the now Div2 school, setting their goals higher. Like Northern Colorado.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

This may be the final straw that urges BYU to rejoin the conference (you better believe they’re going to try to ride the coattails of Gonzaga). Hard to believe that the MWC will pass from a business standpoint, but I truly hope they let them rot in obscurity.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm This may be the final straw that urges BYU to rejoin the conference (you better believe they’re going to try to ride the coattails of Gonzaga). Hard to believe that the MWC will pass from a business standpoint, but I truly hope they let them rot in obscurity.
I think you overestimate their value. P5 passed on them for a reason.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:19 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm This may be the final straw that urges BYU to rejoin the conference (you better believe they’re going to try to ride the coattails of Gonzaga). Hard to believe that the MWC will pass from a business standpoint, but I truly hope they let them rot in obscurity.
I think you overestimate their value. P5 passed on them for a reason.
Relative to some of the programs we currently have in the MWC?? *cough cough* SJSU!!

I don’t have much faith that they’ll be overlooked if an offer is on the table. They will, of course, try to establish a special deal like Boise.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

byu wouldn't be evaluated to replace sjsu. They are evaluated based on what they add to the current MWC. Creates unbalanced football and bball. Besides that, what value?

Who cares how many people attend their home games? They do not appreciably increase attendance when they travel; that's a myth. Their t.v. ratings are no better than other G5 members. The landscape has changed dramatically and I'll bet their next tv deal is worse. Even if there value is worth the 5 million more in tv money, it is less than 500K per school. In the grand scheme of things, that just isn't worth it.

That is why they didn't get a p5 invite and why the MWC isn't talking with them.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Gonzaga aint coming the Mountain West! Thompson probably screwed up somehow.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm Gonzaga aint coming the Mountain West! Thompson probably screwed up somehow.
Certainly seems like he got his wires crossed or overplayed his hand and looks like a fool. Either way, doesn’t bode well for the MWC
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm
Wyokie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm Gonzaga aint coming the Mountain West! Thompson probably screwed up somehow.
Certainly seems like he got his wires crossed or overplayed his hand and looks like a fool. Either way, doesn’t bode well for the MWC
Nope.

Either way, Gonzaga got what it wanted from the WCC much the same way Boise got what it wanted from the Me to keep from leaving.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

I love reading knee jerk reactions. Don't misunderstand, I am no fan of Thompson, I would cheer if he were gone, but this time it isn't his fault.

It really appears that Gonzaga used the MWC against the WCC to get a sweet deal for themselves. From what I was told, Gonzaga wanted another sweetheart deal like what Boise State got. They are not a football school and football is the vehicle that drives the TV deal, and Gonzaga wanted more out of the TV deal than what the football schools got. Gonzaga needs to get real. With that said, I was told that there is a good chance that the deal could be revisited sometime in the future, but if Gonzaga isn't any more realistic in the future as they are now, nothing will change.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah I have a feeling when the new TV contracts are negotiated (I heard the WCC and MW contracts expire same year so will be negotiating at the same time) we will see this revisted based on the new TV deals. So I think Gonzaga could end up here in a year or two.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Once the WCC said they would credit $1M / year in tourney credits back to Gonzaga, and then let them keep most of their credits going forward, there wasn't a mid-major conference in the country that could afford them. It would take an SEC type deal to get them close to break even.

They basically have set themselves up as an independent basketball program without having to find a full schedule of opponents, while also getting an auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. Brilliant!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

They are crippling their conference. They hate how the other schools don't invest in hoops, but they took away their money. Now they're really not going to invest in their programs.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 am They are crippling their conference. They hate how the other schools don't invest in hoops, but they took away their money. Now they're really not going to invest in their programs.
I think they decided the other schools would never put up big enough money. So now they are able to schedule more OOC teams to help their RPI, their league opponents are less likely to keep up with them so they will almost always get the WCC auto-bid, and they get more money to set themselves up to keep their coach.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

TSpoke wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 am Yeah I have a feeling when the new TV contracts are negotiated (I heard the WCC and MW contracts expire same year so will be negotiating at the same time) we will see this revisted based on the new TV deals. So I think Gonzaga could end up here in a year or two.
I strongly doubt this. The discussions with Gonzaga that happened had to have been with the potential for new TV contracts in mind. Parties don't negotiate with blinders toward the future. When the WCC made concessions to Gonzaga,these concessions were likely only made with the understanding that Gonzaga would not be on the conference shopping market again next year. Parties, and especially universities, should have an understanding that there is always a 'good faith' requirement in negotiation and I would have to believe that these concessions were made with the understanding that Gonzaga would be sticking with the WCC for the foreseeable future.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 am
TSpoke wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 am Yeah I have a feeling when the new TV contracts are negotiated (I heard the WCC and MW contracts expire same year so will be negotiating at the same time) we will see this revisted based on the new TV deals. So I think Gonzaga could end up here in a year or two.
I strongly doubt this. The discussions with Gonzaga that happened had to have been with the potential for new TV contracts in mind. Parties don't negotiate with blinders toward the future. When the WCC made concessions to Gonzaga,these concessions were likely only made with the understanding that Gonzaga would not be on the conference shopping market again next year. Parties, and especially universities, should have an understanding that there is always a 'good faith' requirement in negotiation and I would have to believe that these concessions were made with the understanding that Gonzaga would be sticking with the WCC for the foreseeable future.
While I don't necessarily disagree that we aren't likely to get Gonzaga after this deal, this is college sports we are talking about after all. "Good faith" is meaningless.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Darn it, woulda been good and fun, back to the drawing board
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

I was pretty excited about the opportunity to see Wyo locally every few years. Dang it.
52-56