The offense will dominate the spring...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

So much for naming a starter, Bohl stated that the spring game wouldn’t be used asmuch in evaluating the QBs but the scrimmages and practices would be the determining factors.

Does this mean he will wait to look at Chambers ( can’t imagine a true freshmen starting in this offense) or does it mean we can expect a transfer by the end of may?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 am So much for naming a starter, Bohl stated that the spring game wouldn’t be used asmuch in evaluating the QBs but the scrimmages and practices would be the determining factors.

Does this mean he will wait to look at Chambers ( can’t imagine a true freshmen starting in this offense) or does it mean we can expect a transfer by the end of may?
I believe it is pretty clear that the staff is after a transfer. To name a starter now would potentially deter a transfer. It is concerning to me that Tyler Vander Waal has apparently been unable to separate himself from Nick Smith. I will be interested to see Vander Waal in person at the Spring Game.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I remember Bohl saying the same types of things in Spring 2016 when Allen and Smith were the 2 guys in camp after Coffman left. By the time fall camp rolled around it wasn't a secret anymore how skilled one guy was over the other. My guess (or hope, at least) is that TVW has already separated himself from Smith and Bohl is just trying to handle things the same way he did in the past when there wasn't a returning starter in the spring.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

cali2wyo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm I remember Bohl saying the same types of things in Spring 2016 when Allen and Smith were the 2 guys in camp after Coffman left. By the time fall camp rolled around it wasn't a secret anymore how skilled one guy was over the other. My guess (or hope, at least) is that TVW has already separated himself from Smith and Bohl is just trying to handle things the same way he did in the past when there wasn't a returning starter in the spring.
I hope so but there were quite a few "leaks" back then as to the physical capabilities of Josh Allen as a QB ans his place as the likely starter. OnePokeOvertheLine had indicated in an earlier message that Bohl was being accurate as to the lack of separation of the QBs.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm
cali2wyo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm I remember Bohl saying the same types of things in Spring 2016 when Allen and Smith were the 2 guys in camp after Coffman left. By the time fall camp rolled around it wasn't a secret anymore how skilled one guy was over the other. My guess (or hope, at least) is that TVW has already separated himself from Smith and Bohl is just trying to handle things the same way he did in the past when there wasn't a returning starter in the spring.
I hope so but there were quite a few "leaks" back then as to the physical capabilities of Josh Allen as a QB ans his place as the likely starter. OnePokeOvertheLine had indicated in an earlier message that Bohl was being accurate as to the lack of separation of the QBs.
True, but Allen as we now know is NFL talent as far as arm strength and even among the batch of P5 QB's he is a notch above as far as arm strength. You don't need his arm strength to be a successful QB in the MW and some of those other qualities that can result in a successful QB may not be as apparent to the average Joe as the crazy good arm strength of Allen. That is my hope anyhow.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm
True, but Allen as we now know is NFL talent as far as arm strength and even among the batch of P5 QB's he is a notch above as far as arm strength. You don't need his arm strength to be a successful QB in the MW and some of those other qualities that can result in a successful QB may not be as apparent to the average Joe as the crazy good arm strength of Allen. That is my hope anyhow.
You make a good point. Arm strength is not as important in college. Many QB's with below average arm strength have done well in college but not in NFL i.e. Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Ty Detmer, Jason White... and they all won the Heisman! But name one of them that did well in the NFL with their noodle arms.

Josh Allen has the god given abilities you can't teach in the NFL but you can groom him into a Pro. I guess the exception to the rule is Jeff George. He had a cannon.
I'm good for 3!