The offense will dominate the spring...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Issuing a warning not to get too excited about the offense during spring football. Don't get me wrong, I want them to be great. We will get a false sense of offensive prowess. Why?

Guys who will miss spring ball:
Granderson - Elbow surgery
Prosser - Shoulder surgery
Malauluu - Back surgery
Epps - Bask surgery
Cain - Recovering from ankle surgery
Holt - Knee surgery recovery
Hall - Shoulder surgery

Crall and Ghaifan are only D Linemen from last year who will see the field in the spring.

There are also position changes so the learning curve will be steep.

There may be more too. These are just the ones my source told me about.

The good news is there will be a lot of reps for guys that need them.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

With all that, the offense will still be mediocre in spring ball. Smith is quite the D3 qb...
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Back surgeries? That a sign of not having a full strength staff (previously) or just random?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I’m hoping it’s heresay
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Dang! Get well soon to all the cowboys who had surgery.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BJC wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:21 pm Back surgeries? That a sign of not having a full strength staff (previously) or just random?
Just depends on what the procedure was, 'back surgery' is a pretty expansive term. If we are talking spine, it's most likely a disc herniation of some sort, feel like we would have heard about something more severe. For a disc issue, could be strength-related, maybe not. If it IS something more significant (I.E. pin in vertebra, spinal fusion, etc.) then those typically are not something that being stronger would prevent.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Bummer losing Windsor, he showed a lot of promise early. Good thing Crall has stepped up for depth
W-Y, Until I Die!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:35 am
BJC wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:21 pm Back surgeries? That a sign of not having a full strength staff (previously) or just random?
Just depends on what the procedure was, 'back surgery' is a pretty expansive term. If we are talking spine, it's most likely a disc herniation of some sort, feel like we would have heard about something more severe. For a disc issue, could be strength-related, maybe not. If it IS something more significant (I.E. pin in vertebra, spinal fusion, etc.) then those typically are not something that being stronger would prevent.
Was referring more to disk/back issues caused from improper form/program/ etc. I realize things happen but it would sound like a weight room type injury? Hopefully minor but seriously, I wouldnt consider anything back related to be minor to athletic males in their early 20's.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Bohl also said he would like a starter at Q.B by the end of spring ball. I don’t believe Sean Chambers was an early enrollee so that really only leaves two choices. I know it was unlikely but I was hoping Chambers would enroll at semester and pull a Brett Smith by winning the job as a true freshman.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:56 pm Issuing a warning not to get too excited about the offense during spring football. Don't get me wrong, I want them to be great. We will get a false sense of offensive prowess. Why?

Malauluu - Back surgery
Epps - Bask surgery
Hall - Shoulder surgery

Crall and Ghaifan are only D Linemen from last year who will see the field in the spring.

No mention of the guys above missing spring ball in today's press release. Only Johnson and Okwoli were mentioned as missing spring ball. We could learn about some of these tomorrow if they are true. I don't think most of them are. Today's press release said Granderson put on some more muscle. That's pretty hard to do with an elbow injury that would prevent you from lifting. We shall see.

In terms of position changes, a couple defenders have been moved to FB and Tyler Hall from CB to nickel linebacker. Bohl also said they will mix and match on the OL to get the 5 best guys out there. So no drastic position changes of note.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wicks wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm
onePokeovertheline wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:56 pm Issuing a warning not to get too excited about the offense during spring football. Don't get me wrong, I want them to be great. We will get a false sense of offensive prowess. Why?

Malauluu - Back surgery
Epps - Bask surgery
Hall - Shoulder surgery

Looks like the above info was mostly good (Hall isn't injured). Notes from the Wyo Trib Eagle today....

Players who won’t participate in spring drills due to injuries include: senior defensive end Carl Granderson (elbow), senior defensive end Kevin Prosser (shoulder), senior nose tackle Sidney Malauulu (back), senior defensive lineman Conner Cain (ankle), senior safety Marcus Epps (back), sophomore defensive tackle Ravontae Holt (knee) junior wide receiver C.J. Johnson (knee) and junior wide receiver John Okwoli (knee).
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

The information is good. And the injured Hall is Josiah.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 am The information is good. And the injured Hall is Josiah.
Everyone of those guys have shown they can play...good for some of the young guys like Victor Jones to get some reps. D line has never been so deep.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Alot of important names on the defensive and offensive side of the ball were listed.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 am Alot of important names on the defensive and offensive side of the ball were listed.
I think some of these guys could practice but the staff would rather them heal completely.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 am
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 am Alot of important names on the defensive and offensive side of the ball were listed.
I think some of these guys could practice but the staff would rather them heal completely.
That's my guess. If it were the season they would probably be playing as well but you want them full strength in the fall. I would just hate to be without these guys in the fall.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

If we see a 7-6 type of spring game again we're screwed. There should be hysteria. The two pathetic offenses burned a terrible image into my mind. Our offense is so pathetic and predictable
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Could prove my prediction true (although he wouldn’t be here for spring)...
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 am Could prove my prediction true (although he wouldn’t be here for spring)...
care to elaborate?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

303cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm
onePokeovertheline wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 am Could prove my prediction true (although he wouldn’t be here for spring)...
care to elaborate?
yes, yes. Need more info!