CIC recruiting breakfast summary

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

All:

I took very detailed and copious notes from the meeting this morning. We had a great crowd and thanks to Gordie Haug for his presentation. I would have to author a treatise to be able to go into detail so please accept this summary.

A couple of tidbits: This is a brief summary, much much more was discussed.

1. The new strength and speed coaches have been very very impressed with the caliber of the young men on the OL. The comment is that this OL group is as good and/or better than what they coached at LSU.
2. The Big E from Minnesota will be a force. He has re-tailored his body and the consensus is that he will be a factor next year in a big way. Camron Donatlan may be the most athletic guy that has been in Laramie. A natural, projected 7' 4" high jumper.
3. Red shirt players Keagen Cryder along with Eric Abojei will strengthen considerably a returning OL group and could push the starters further.
4. Mason Keeler-RS from Broomfield, Colorado will add even much much more competition at Tight end. An experienced Wyo Def backfield really didn't much like having to line up against Keeler during practices.
5. Running backs is very much open slot, Trey Woods with the seasoning work will be a different looking RB this fall. 180 degrees different.
6. Austin Lopez will move over from DE to add depth at Fullback.
7. 4 of these players ( Hooper, Miles Williams, Murray and Charles Hicks) are on Campus. HAPC is now staffed with 4 full time trainers, a nutritionist and 2 grad assistants.
8. After Gordie showed the tape on RB/Reow Jackson that had a late P12 push to sign, there was no comments other than after the group looked at his tape is that he may be the running back that could answer many questions. Gunner Gentry is taller than his brother and has amazing hands. Be ready for some incredible catches in the next 4 years.
9. Zach Watts will be on the Oline and his parents were there this morning. Great people. I was able to speak to them and he got to 305, but is trimming down a bit so he can play baseball this spring.
QB--Let's see. We know who the players are and see**

Humor--Coach Bohl is now fully vetted to text which is helping with his contacts with recruits!

The defense is in great hands in the future with RS Victor Jones, Javaree Jackson and Ravontae Holt. They are all young and with the program for the next 3 to 4 years. CJ Coldon could have played last year, but they were able to keep his redshirt in tact!
The Josh Allen factor is huge and recruits wanting to take pictures with him. The benefits are flowing in each day.

I could go on and on and I have notes for each recruit. Gordie mentioned that with the staff now being able to recruit players that fit Laramie that the attrition rate has decreased. A real emphasis is made to get that specific Wyoming guy that fits into Laramie. For instance they feel that PWO Jaxon Boley the big TE and former pitcher from Kentucky is a huge get and the mountains of Wyoming got him to Laramie. It was mentioned a 4 star player that they could have signed, but they as a staff did not see him fitting into the Laramie environment so that didn't happen!

This came out much longer than a tid bit, but there is much to be excited for the program. The depth will be unparalleled and lets get to that spring game. **I get the feeling that an extra schooly could be available for a QB this summer? Stay tuned!

ALERT: Friday, March 2 at 7:00 a.m. will be the inaugural DTC/South Denver get together for Cowboys in Colorado at Maggianos. I-25 and Dry Creek Exit. No charge breakfast with free Cowboys in Colorado t shirt give aways. For more information on Cowboys in Colorado see www.cowboysincolorado and on Face Book!
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Thank you Douglas Poke very much for the summary! Did the new strength/conditioning coaches say anything about the HAPC such as there being a definite edge in player development?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

"1. The new strength and speed coaches have been very very impressed with the caliber of the young men on the OL. The comment is that this OL group is as good and/or better than what they coached at LSU."

I find this extremely difficult to believe, as much as I want to.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
ImageImageImageImage
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 pm "1. The new strength and speed coaches have been very very impressed with the caliber of the young men on the OL. The comment is that this OL group is as good and/or better than what they coached at LSU."

I find this extremely difficult to believe, as much as I want to.
Agree. Kind of makes the rest of the stuff they said seem inflated too.

Maybe they mean as good and/or better relative to the competition level?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Thanks for the break down! Makes me really excited.

Wonder if Donalton will do track, too?

Weird that we had a 1st round QB and an O-line as good as LSU's, but we finished with the worst offense in college football. Hmmm wonder what the problem was? cough..playcalling schemes, ...cough.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Maybe they meant in terms of strength and conditioning only and not actual offensive production? Hard to tell from the write up .
soccerhead15
Buckaroo

CodyPoke wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 pm Maybe they meant in terms of strength and conditioning only and not actual offensive production? Hard to tell from the write up .
From what i remember was he said that the new staff thought our line was the most athletic, which i still seriously doubt.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

soccerhead15 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 am
CodyPoke wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 pm Maybe they meant in terms of strength and conditioning only and not actual offensive production? Hard to tell from the write up .
From what i remember was he said that the new staff thought our line was the most athletic, which i still seriously doubt.
I doubt it as well. No need to blow smoke. Just tell us how it really is.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:51 pm Thanks for the break down! Makes me really excited.

Wonder if Donalton will do track, too?

Weird that we had a 1st round QB and an O-line as good as LSU's, but we finished with the worst offense in college football. Hmmm wonder what the problem was? cough..playcalling schemes, ...cough.
I thought I read somewhere that he would be doing track as well.

It made me chuckle because the article said something to the effect of 'once he was considering Wyoming, he called the track staff to see if they had any interest in him doing track as well'. A 7+ foot high jumper...and they don't have to pay a dime because he's on a FB scholly...yeah, they are just a bit interested. :rofl:
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

phxpoke wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 am
soccerhead15 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 am
I doubt it as well. No need to blow smoke. Just tell us how it really is.
Just because last year wasn't a stellar year you have entrenched in your mind that our OL has to be lousy and they can't be anything else. Our OL IS that good. Nebraska, Oklahoma St. & Minnesota are just three of the schools that thought our OL was good enough for offers. All three of these schools offered some of our OL scholarships and for different reasons they ended up at UW. I can also say that there were other P5 programs that offered others along the OL. I do know that 2 of our guys accepted scholarship offers from UW and then were later offered by Nebraska and Oklahoma St., and turned them down because they thought that their word was that important. The Minnesota offer was of course Erik "Big E" Abojei who would have gone to Minnesota but it was for some academic reason that he ended up at UW.

These guys are that good. The issues with last year was for a variety of reasons, 2 true freshmen starting along the OL, injuries and things never gelled, it didn't mean that they weren't good, it was just that they didn't gel. I would imagine that the OL will be the unit on the team that you will see the most improvement out of this coming year.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Josh Allen wasn't that good either, just ask everyone around the country that knows Josh sucks. You will defend him til you die yet you roll your eyes at these comments about our Big Uglies. C'mon. It IS possible that they're this talented. And keep in mind that the reference was to all the young men that play the OL, redshirts included, not just the guys who played the majority of the snaps last season. I personally heard Josh Allen say that the minute Alonzo Velasquez stepped foot on campus he was the most talented OL on the property; "an NFL talent". Guess how many years of football he played before coming? Three. So does talent and 18 years of age necessarily translate to be being better at the moment then LSU's 5th year seniors? Outland trophies and 400 yd rushing performances?

There are other red shirts like Patrick Arnold who was a state champion wrestler; I imagine the guy is talented. There are also highly hyped guys who maybe aren't as talented or that we will never know; there is one guy on the OL for instance that all seem to think was going to be a great one that I know to have been a disappointment and who's career is over. Not my place to break that news but I'm sure will be made public when the spring depth chart is released.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I think the comment has more to do with strength and conditioning, than with game results. In context I think it means our lineman are strong and fit