National Signing Day

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I heard that the younger Dawson will be a preferred walk on. Would be a good get as a walk on.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I don't think I've ever seen this many Wyoming high school players on the roster.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

What's up with the younger Dawson playing over an hour away from Jackson at Star Valley?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome all!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DVDA wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm What's up with the younger Dawson playing over an hour away from Jackson at Star Valley?
They moved because of the high cost of living
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Garrett Crall getting a scholarship is well deserved too. Great work!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

There are 129 FBS teams. The recruiting ranking of this year's Pokes is 126 (Denver Post, 2/8/18). So will coaching make up for this lack? BTW, CSU's group is 82nd and AFA is 120th.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 am There are 129 FBS teams. The recruiting ranking of this year's Pokes is 126 (Denver Post, 2/8/18). So will coaching make up for this lack? BTW, CSU's group is 82nd and AFA is 120th.
I saw that most rankings didn't like our class, but Bohl, in general seems to be a good talent evaluator. No reason to not trust him.
If there is a concern, I noticed very few of this class had other fbs-level offers or at least not many offers. Neither did Josh, so I'm not too worried.
If we do start cracking the T25, Bohl and staff will prove to be one of the elite talent evaluation groups in all of CFB. The roster will be filled with largely overlooked guys.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 am There are 129 FBS teams. The recruiting ranking of this year's Pokes is 126 (Denver Post, 2/8/18). So will coaching make up for this lack? BTW, CSU's group is 82nd and AFA is 120th.
Well...that is some bad press there. Not sure stars matter much in the MWC with Bohl at the helm, as they would, say, Tennessee in the SEC.

Better get that chip in place on your shoulders boys...and as Bohl said, put your hand in the dirt and kick the poop out of everyone.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming's classes always have and likely always will rank poorly. It's development that makes the difference, which is of no concern under Craig Bohl.
knhendon
Buckaroo

I say we adopt the "no one likes us" chant. Seems fitting.

No one likes us, no one likes us,
No one likes us, we don't care

We're the Cowboys, freakin (or "f'in" as appropriate) Cowboys,
No one likes us, we don't care

Sung to the tune of (we are) sailing by Rod Stewart.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It might be worth pointing out that several of our recruits got downgraded after signing with us, including Gunner Gentry.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 pm
I saw that most rankings didn't like our class, but Bohl, in general seems to be a good talent evaluator. No reason to not trust him.
If there is a concern, I noticed very few of this class had other fbs-level offers or at least not many offers. Neither did Josh, so I'm not too worried.
If we do start cracking the T25, Bohl and staff will prove to be one of the elite talent evaluation groups in all of CFB. The roster will be filled with largely overlooked guys.
I trust Bohl and staff’s talent evaluation, but the fact is we’re still losing recruits to largely mediocre programs. Think about what we could do with some of the more highly sought after guys. If you pay any attention to these recruiting services you’ll realize that a lot of our offers are being left on the table. So it’s not like we’re getting all the guys we want.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

For kicks and giggles here are 247 team rankings, I am going to use Wyo vs CSU
2013 110 vs 83
2014 128 vs 86 (this group had B Hill, J Hollister, Priester)
2015 113 vs 119 (This is the core of our defense)
2016 116 vs 76
2017 99 vs 73
2018 128 vs 83

Would I like to see Wyoming move up in the rankings, yes, but what matters at our level is player development.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 pm
I trust Bohl and staff’s talent evaluation, but the fact is we’re still losing recruits to largely mediocre programs. Think about what we could do with some of the more highly sought after guys. If you pay any attention to these recruiting services you’ll realize that a lot of our offers are being left on the table. So it’s not like we’re getting all the guys we want.
I don't disagree to an extent. For the stat junkies, I did this a long time ago, but recruiting stars were fairly highly correlated to MWC All-Conference rosters. Of course, that was when the MWC was FBS-level. I don't know now. Either way, when we can't get highly touted recruits, I'm glad we have Bohl and company recruiting the overlooked pool.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Of course player development matters. But it's quite disturbing to see another poor recruiting class. And we wonder why our receivers can't get open or can't catch? Or why we lose to a team like San Jose state? Well, this is how. Bohl without Josh Allen will be interesting this year.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 pm Of course player development matters. But it's quite disturbing to see another poor recruiting class. And we wonder why our receivers can't get open or can't catch? Or why we lose to a team like San Jose state? Well, this is how. Bohl without Josh Allen will be interesting this year.
We lost to San Jose because no one gave a poop to come and play. Absolutely nothing to play for at that point in the season. When you come out flat you will get beat. Why do you think multiple fcs upsets happen every year. It's not because the fcs teams are better but they are capable of winning and want it more. It's not lack of talent it's lack of effort.

Also it's nearly impossible to get a accurate grade on high school kids. The star system is a joke. Our receivers have been the best grade players we have recruited lately. Cj was the best prospect in his class. Conway could have played in p5. Okeali was also one of our higher grade players. It doesn't mean anything.

When you look at the teams that play in the super bowl 3/4 of the players were 3 stars to unranked coming out of high school.

It's entirely about player development. Look at our defense who is 90% responsible for the wins we had last year. Wingard. Logan , Carl, Ghaifon. All legitimate all American candidates not one of them were higher than a 2 star recruit coming out.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 pm Of course player development matters. But it's quite disturbing to see another poor recruiting class. And we wonder why our receivers can't get open or can't catch? Or why we lose to a team like San Jose state? Well, this is how. Bohl without Josh Allen will be interesting this year.

Please don't tell me that you believe the star system? That has to be one of the biggest piles of stinking brown stuff that has ever been put on fans, and it is only meant for the weak of mind. Don't mean to be nasty but the star system is ALL ABOUT who is recruiting a kid, and who signs him. I can't tell you how many kids that were being recruited by the Pokes that were no stars, or even two stars and they get a late offer by someone like Nebraska and gee wiz overnight they become 3 or even 4 star recruits!

The person that rated the Pokes class, maybe, and I do mean maybe took all of the time that it took for him to take a dump, as to how much time he spent researching the Pokes recruiting class....and this is the guy that you are going to believe? Unbelievable! There were a number of reasons why these guys ended up at Wyoming, but I guarantee that each of these guys can run and are excellent athletes. One kid changed schools in his senior year and no one knew about him....you get the idea?

Sean Chambers, who was the one of the Top 3 players in the Fresno area, had a commitment to a P5 BIG10 team, and he turned it down and if he had stayed with his commitment to Rutgers he would have been rated at the very least a 3 star, and maybe a 4 star, but since he turned them down and signed with Wyoming, he mysteriously became a 2 star! I could give you example after example of what a joke the star system is and this is what this idiot relied upon!

Another thing to keep in mind, if the Pokes class is so bad then why did a number of the Wyoming recruits get rushed at the end by a number of P5 teams to sign with them? Bohl and his staff do their homework, period! Many of these other coaching staffs follow the Cowboy coaching staff and offer after the Pokes do simply because they know that Bohl and his staff know what they are doing! When I see statements like yours it makes me shake my head and wonder how could someone be so clueless about recruiting as to believe what this joker wrote!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

It matters a lot for the top level, but not so much for the MWC. I'm not in the least disturbed or worried.