National Signing Day

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Could someone pull up the year our class had Josh Allen in it and say the national ranking?

Only 2 NFL players from that class. No big deal.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 pm It matters a lot for the top level, but not so much for the MWC. I'm not in the least disturbed or worried.
I'm not worried either but I'm curious what you are basing this on? Like I said, I haven't done an analysis since the MWC left FBS, but prior to that, stars were highly correlated to all-conference appearances. Always some exceptions and not all highly ranked recruits were all-conference but the majority of all conference were highly regarded recruits.

You could be right; I was just curious what you are basing this on?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The Sean Chambers example is bunk, he was a 3 star at Rutgers and a 3 star at Wyoming. Recruiting does matter and development matters. They arent mutually exclusive concepts. Bohl does a decent job either way, but there can be some flaws (he gives some scholarships to kids he could get as walkons). I don't want to name the kids but he completely reaches at times. His system seems to be working, so let him keep it up.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

On the bright side, there is one remedy for pedestrian recruiting: WINNING! Although it can be rather difficult to win with pedestrian recruiting....

If we can manage to win a couple championships and crack into the T25, I think that will be a great impact. Our national relevance is just not quite there yet.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

dapokes wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm Could someone pull up the year our class had Josh Allen in it and say the national ranking?

Only 2 NFL players from that class. No big deal.
Another post said it was #113

Josh Allen - 1st Rounder
Carl Granderson - 1st team All MWC, Bohl recently called "an NFL player"
Andrew Wingard - Freshman All American, Multi time All MWC and Bohl said same thing about him
Yo Ghaifan - 1st team All MWC
Logan Wilson - Freshman All American and MWC Freshman of the Year
Kevin Prosser - Great athlete playing out of position. Will probably get NFL looks as an OLB
Zach Wallace and Kaden Jackson - Both OL starters for multiple seasons
James Price, CJ Johnson, Jaylon Watson, Antonio Hull, Josh Harshman, Kellen Overstreet - All significant contributors

This was Bohl's first full cycle class and its safe to say this is the class that all future classes will be judged against.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 pm It matters a lot for the top level, but not so much for the MWC. I'm not in the least disturbed or worried.
I'm not worried either but I'm curious what you are basing this on? Like I said, I haven't done an analysis since the MWC left FBS, but prior to that, stars were highly correlated to all-conference appearances. Always some exceptions and not all highly ranked recruits were all-conference but the majority of all conference were highly regarded recruits.

Since MWC left FBS? What do you mean by this?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Once you get past 5*, 4* and highly-rated 3* players it's a crap shoot. The vast majority of players in the MWC are low 3* and 2*. It's about player development and having a good eye for talent. Cowboys are good at these two things. Bohl has my trust. What we have is good enough to be a top team in our conference
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 am

I was wondering the same thing!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

I think he stated elsewhere that the level of competition is not where it used to be, comparing what it is now to FCS football. Which is completely ridiculous.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 am

Once you get past 5*, 4* and highly-rated 3* players it's a crap shoot. The vast majority of players in the MWC are low 3* and 2*. It's about player development and having a good eye for talent. Cowboys are good at these two things. Bohl has my trust. What we have is good enough to be a top team in our conference
I don't disagree that recruits and Bohl development are good enough to compete in MWC. I was just wondering if there was an analysis or something. I was surprised how much recruiting ranking impacted all-conference appearances when I looked before. I didn't know if that was still the case, and it took too much time for me to want to do it again, lol.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am

I think he stated elsewhere that the level of competition is not where it used to be, comparing what it is now to FCS football. Which is completely ridiculous.
Mainly being sarcastic, but the MWC is closer to FCS than the old MWC at the peak. Hell, I think even Missouri Valley Conference had a higher Sagarin rating than the West division. I'm not sure how apples to apples that really is, but MWC is mostly terrible.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The biggest flaw in the recruiting rankings: they look more at the big schools. I'm not just talking about the big colleges, but the big high schools as well. A lot of them don't know how to properly evaluate a small-school kid. Is he actually any good or does he just look good because he's facing poor competition? Also, they're sometimes evaluating these kids at positions they won't be playing at the next level.

Look back at the 2015 class. Three of the five lowest-ranked signings in our class: Andrew Wingard, Youhanna Ghaifan, Logan Wilson.

From what I've read, Wingard played mostly RB late in high school, not much on defense. Wilson is still listed today on 247 as a WR from that class. I'm guessing those things were reflected in their rankings as well.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 am

This is just my opinion that is based on an article that I saw once. I'll try to find it..
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:01 pm The biggest flaw in the recruiting rankings: they look more at the big schools. I'm not just talking about the big colleges, but the big high schools as well. A lot of them don't know how to properly evaluate a small-school kid. Is he actually any good or does he just look good because he's facing poor competition? Also, they're sometimes evaluating these kids at positions they won't be playing at the next level.

Look back at the 2015 class. Three of the five lowest-ranked signings in our class: Andrew Wingard, Youhanna Ghaifan, Logan Wilson.

From what I've read, Wingard played mostly RB late in high school, not much on defense. Wilson is still listed today on 247 as a WR from that class. I'm guessing those things were reflected in their rankings as well.
Agreed it's not worth the time for many evaluators to spend much time grading small high school prospects. The number of high school kids playing football surpasses a million. It's much more likely to overlook a kid than many realize. I've always thought this was one of our advantages in recruiting.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:51 pm The Sean Chambers example is bunk, he was a 3 star at Rutgers and a 3 star at Wyoming. Recruiting does matter and development matters. They arent mutually exclusive concepts. Bohl does a decent job either way, but there can be some flaws (he gives some scholarships to kids he could get as walkons). I don't want to name the kids but he completely reaches at times. His system seems to be working, so let him keep it up.
The Sean Chambers example is NOT bunk. I am talking about Rivals rating, and at Wyoming, Sean is rated a 2 star recruit, but he was rated a 3 star recruit when he was a Rutgers commit. Maybe you should know more about what you are talking about instead of messing up like you did. The 247 rating is not the one I was speaking of, the 247 is much more freer in giving out stars than Rivals.

Recruiting does matter, I never said that it didn't. But these rating systems are so full places for mistakes and errors to being made that it isn't even funny. Bohl himself has said basically the same thing, but it sounds like you are putting your own knowledge above his, ...."His system seems to be working, so let him keep it up." That is so condescendingly nice of you to allow Bohl to "so let him keep it up."
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Nothing condescending,he does seem to be doing a good job with recruiting. I'm magically supposed to know your talking about rivals? Also, who cares what one ( historically inaccurate and inaccessible ) scouting site says? The concenensus among sites has him as three star which did not change from when he was committed to Rutgers. Even espn has him listed as a 3 star before and after.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... n-chambers

You come across as pompous snow flake. If you think anything I wrote was condescending you are wrong, and you should look in the mirror at your last post to another poster in this thread. Clearly you have issue if you think my opinion on Wyoming football would remotely reach the ears of CB or any other football coach at a D1 school ( or that I think that I know more than any professional coach). The point of message boards is to speak about what is great and what could be better ( it is okay to be critical , I promise Bohl's feelers won't be hurt by an arm chair qb). Would be a boring place if everything was sunshine and unicorns, and boards like this are for entertainment.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm Nothing condescending,he does seem to be doing a good job with recruiting. I'm magically supposed to know your talking about rivals? Also, who cares what one ( historically inaccurate and inaccessible ) scouting site says? The concenensus among sites has him as three star which did not change from when he was committed to Rutgers. Even espn has him listed as a 3 star before and after.

You come across as pompous snow flake. If you think anything I wrote was condescending you are wrong, and you should look in the mirror at your last post to another poster in this thread. Clearly you have issue if you think my opinion on Wyoming football would remotely reach the ears of CB or any other football coach at a D1 school ( or that I think that I know more than any professional coach). The point of message boards is to speak about what is great and what could be better ( it is okay to be critical , I promise Bohl's feelers won't be hurt by an arm chair qb). Would be a boring place if everything was sunshine and unicorns, and boards like this are for entertainment.
Through all of this long windbag name calling that you do....you are still wrong about Sean Chambers not being a good example.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

It was pretty mean of scout to give Sean Chambers a 2 star rating when he committed to Rutgers, than give him a 3 star rating when he committed to Wyoming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... 7_edition/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fresnobe ... 23709.html

I mean signs, with Wyoming and goes from a 2 star to nearly a four star in the scout ratings.

I backed my opinion with facts, Chambers star totals weren't changed once he gained 3 star status and committed to Wyoming. He remains nearly a 4 star recruit according to espn and scout.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 pm It was pretty mean of scout to give Sean Chambers a 2 star rating when he committed to Rutgers, than give him a 3 star rating when he committed to Wyoming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... 7_edition/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fresnobe ... 23709.html

I mean signs, with Wyoming and goes from a 2 star to nearly a four star in the scout ratings.

I backed my opinion with facts, Chambers star totals weren't changed once he gained 3 star status and committed to Wyoming. He remains nearly a 4 star recruit according to espn and scout.
I wonder how much Wentz and Allen have to do with scout and espn perhaps giving Chambers some extra analysis. I mean when was the last big name QB prospect coming out of Rutgers or from their coaches when Bohl/Vigen have recruited and at least aided in the development of two recent top NFL QB prospects.

A question, do these rankings take into account character?
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I'm guessing Alabama and Clemson are happy with their four and five star guys and don't have (Also recruited by: Weber St. North Dakota, South Dakota Tech, Chadron St.) next to their guys. Just saying.