Grad transfer QB's

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeShadows
Buckaroo

Was listening ton internet radio today and a caller said we might be getting Wilbon Speight from Michigan. Big if true!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Has anyone seen him in Wyoming? He left UM early to enroll in school in January which means if he's a cowboy he's already here.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 pm Has anyone seen him in Wyoming? He left UM early to enroll in school in January which means if he's a cowboy he's already here.
Nope, he's pushed back his enrollment until the summer. Apparently he's even still considering going back to Michigan at this point.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Hes horrible. I hope de doesn't come here.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm Hes horrible. I hope de doesn't come here.
Are you related to Nick Smith? Speight would be a massive upgrade at the QB position. I will be upset if we dont’t do anything and ‘waste’ one of the best defenses we will ever see at Wyoming. Opportunities like this don’t come along that often and with a competent QB, a MWC championship is very realistic.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Here's Speight's stats during his time at Michigan:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... on-speight
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

CowboyNV wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:03 am Here's Speight's stats during his time at Michigan:

His completion percentage hit 60% two years ago! Speight is SOOO good!

Definitely better than Nick Smith and worth taking him if he comes.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:03 am Here's Speight's stats during his time at Michigan:

Speight was the starting quarterback at the University of Michigan. He was named as starting QB in 2016 by quarterback guru Jim Harbaugh beating out several other highly ranked QB recruits. He is also 6-6 and 240 lbs in the mold of a Craig Bohl pro-style QB. In 2016 and playing against Big 10 competition, he threw for 2500 yds, with 18 TDs and 7 INTs. Michigan receives interest from many great QBs and just because Speight lost the starting job this year does not mean he "sucks".

For those that don't think Speight would be a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade over Nick Smith, I don't know what to tell you. We should be rolling out the red carpet if he is seriously considering Wyoming.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pmMichigan receives interest from many great QBs and just because Speight lost the starting job this year does not mean he "sucks".
He didn't lose his starting job. He broke his back in the Purdue game.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:49 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pmMichigan receives interest from many great QBs and just because Speight lost the starting job this year does not mean he "sucks".
He didn't lose his starting job. He broke his back in the Purdue game.
When he was cleared to play, Harbaugh stated that he would not be starting but yes, you're correct on how he originally lost the job.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

One way or another, these constant grad transfer QB rumors suggest that the coaches aren't over the moon excited about the impact they think the current crop of QBs would make in 2018. They're looking for a stop gap. Can't waste the 2018 defense with a piss poor offense.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 pm

Speight was the starting quarterback at the University of Michigan. He was named as starting QB in 2016 by quarterback guru Jim Harbaugh beating out several other highly ranked QB recruits. He is also 6-6 and 240 lbs in the mold of a Craig Bohl pro-style QB. In 2016 and playing against Big 10 competition, he threw for 2500 yds, with 18 TDs and 7 INTs. Michigan receives interest from many great QBs and just because Speight lost the starting job this year does not mean he "sucks".

For those that don't think Speight would be a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade over Nick Smith, I don't know what to tell you. We should be rolling out the red carpet if he is seriously considering Wyoming.
I do think that he would be a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade. I just couldn't resist being sarcastic about a completion percentage around 60%. Just less than 4% better than Josh Allen's
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Speight is horrible. Just because he played at Michigan doesn't mean anything. I watch a lot of college football, Michigans qbs were brutal. They would have beat Ohio state the last 2 years and possibly made the playoff if they had better qb play. If bohl brings him in, it will be to just compete for the job. being a massive upgrade from smith isn't saying much. Smith should have been converted to a TE 2 years ago.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 pm Speight is horrible. Just because he played at Michigan doesn't mean anything. I watch a lot of college football, Michigans qbs were brutal. They would have beat Ohio state the last 2 years and possibly made the playoff if they had better qb play. If bohl brings him in, it will be to just compete for the job. being a massive upgrade from smith isn't saying much. Smith should have been converted to a TE 2 years ago.
I don’t know that they are looking at an all conference replacement for a stopgap but it is fair to say they want an upgrade to our current options. Speight would fit the bill. I do think vanderwall could be great but could use more time in the system before he starts
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Speights may be really good or he may be Cam Coffman.

I believe Tyler VanderWaal will end up being the guy. It's good experience that he was the scout team QB this year, going against the first-team defense every day in practice.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 pm Speights may be really good or he may be Cam Coffman.

I believe Tyler VanderWaal will end up being the guy. It's good experience that he was the scout team QB this year, going against the first-team defense every day in practice.
I think I'm the only one that thinks Cam was decent. I thought we was pretty good, just didn't have much of a team around him.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:39 pm Speights may be really good or he may be Cam Coffman.

I think I'm the only one that thinks Cam was decent. I thought we was pretty good, just didn't have much of a team around him.
I thought Cam was a decent player. If we get a transfer QB as good as Cam I will be extremely happy and we won't have wasted the best defense we have seen in a long time.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Cam Coffman and Josh Allen basically had the same team with one in ‘15 and one in ‘16. One went 2-10 and the other took the team to the MWC championship game. Just saying.
Jellystone
Buckaroo

I could see Chryst more than Speight, as I understand it, Chryst's dad is coaching for Denver....

But Stanford is on the quarter system, probably wouldn't see him until late June.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

https://twitter.com/mwcwire/status/960006140867178497
W-Y, Until I Die!