Senior Bowl Starts Josh Allen's Draft Journey

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

ImageImageImageImage
PokeShadows
Buckaroo

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

PokeShadows wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 pm Thought this was telling too:

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/ ... 2919936000
That surprises me, and actually is a bad stat for Allen. Can't blame his receivers for his awful completion percentage then.

However, this makes me wonder how many of his pass attempts were throwaways compared to the others.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 pm

That surprises me, and actually is a bad stat for Allen. Can't blame his receivers for his awful completion percentage then.

However, this makes me wonder how many of his pass attempts were throwaways compared to the others.
He had what, 5 incompletions the whole game?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 pm He had what, 5 incompletions the whole game?
That percentage is dropped passes for the whole season - not the Senior Bowl game.

In other words, according to that stat, Josh had the lowest percentage of dropped passes of all the major QBs in the draft.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:27 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 pm He had what, 5 incompletions the whole game?
That percentage is dropped passes for the whole season - not the Senior Bowl game.

In other words, according to that stat, Josh had the lowest percentage of dropped passes of all the major QBs in the draft.
2nd lowest, Sam Darnold was at 3.9%.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:27 pm

2nd lowest, Sam Darnold was at 3.9%.
Whoops, I went one step further and didn't include it in my post. What I intended to say was that Allen's completion percentage + dropped passes percentage was still the lowest, which surprised me because I thought once you added in dropped passes, Josh would be far closer to the others. Guess I might as well actually write it out. So thanks, and good catch.

Completion percentages plus percentage of catchable dropped passes

Allen: 61.1%
Darnold: 67%
Jackson: 67.7%
Rosen: 70.3%
Rudolph: 71.3%
Mayfield: 77.6%
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I'd love to see the criteria to determine whether a pass was dropped or not. CJ Johnson dropped a higher percentage of Josh Allen's total throws on his own. I'm guessing someone determined that because Allen put too much mustard on the ball that the pass was not 'dropped' but was rather overthrown. That stat is just not believable based upon actually watching every game.

Someone should look at every throw and determine the percentage of the time that the receiver obtained enough separation to be determined to be 'open.' I'd bet that the Cowboys would be by far the worst out of any of the teams mentioned.

These STATS....only as good as the subjective opinion of those collecting the data and therefore not a measurable stat at all.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

I'd love to see the criteria to determine whether a pass was dropped or not. CJ Johnson dropped a higher percentage of Josh Allen's total throws on his own. I'm guessing someone determined that because Allen put too much mustard on the ball that the pass was not 'dropped' but was rather overthrown. That stat is just not believable based upon actually watching every game.

Someone should look at every throw and determine the percentage of the time that the receiver obtained enough separation to be determined to be 'open.' I'd bet that the Cowboys would be by far the worst out of any of the teams mentioned.

These STATS....only as good as the subjective opinion of those collecting the data and therefore not a measurable stat at all.
No joke. I don't believe this "stat" for a second. There were multiple drops each game. and that comes out to way more than the miniscule number that they come up with. I just don't believe this stat, strait up.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

I never want to be the guy that sticks my head in the sand and ignores stats that go against my agenda, but I too have major questions about this statistic. Dropped passes were WAY too common among this receiving core this year — how many went off Johnson and Tyree Mayfield alone? Throw out Allen's number relative to the other qb's, maybe he's still at the bottom, but it has to be higher than four. Especially with how few attempts Josh had total this season. Your theory about counting passes "too hard" as uncatchable makes sense to me — if it hits a guy in the hands, it's a drop. Period.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I saw this too and I just can't buy it. I want to see the criteria they used to determine this. The amount of wide open dropped passes by UW was alarming. If Josh was actually the least likely to have a drop than damn those other teams should have sucked and lost WAY more games than the Pokes. I'd be interested in seeing a deep dive of those stats.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

That stat is wrong. I can remember watching the games, between drops and throw aways the stat is close to 10-12 %. But who actually sits down and does this... Who checks this stuff. Nobody. Fake news lol
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 amWho checks this stuff. Nobody. Fake news lol
I'd say it's exactly the type of thing that stat nerds do. Just go to your average baseball game and look at how many people are keeping their own stats... it's insane!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I find it baffling that Mayfields draft stock went up from the senior bowl. Must have had amazing interviews. His practice sounded good but his showing in the actual bowl game was pathetic.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm I find it baffling that Mayfields draft stock went up from the senior bowl. Must have had amazing interviews. His practice sounded good but his showing in the actual bowl game was pathetic.
Confusing indeed, but it's a welcome development for those who want Josh far away from Cleveland. The Browns just brought in Scot McCloughan, on record as a huge Baker Mayfield guy, as a pre-draft consultant.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Josh Allen Scouting Report: MEL KIPER IS RIGHT!

https://youtu.be/2mA8vLywPyQ
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

AJ McCarron just won his grievance to become an unrestriced free agent. I really hope Cleveland lands McCarron as a free agent. That would allow Josh to be a backup early in his career or go somewhere else that isn't a flaming pile of poop.