Josh Allen write-up in The Ringer

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Smeller
Buckaroo
Has liked: 41 times

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Sounds like Allen has no modesty at all and that will make him look bad if he doesn't perform.

He will be going against 11 extremely good defensive players. On the other hand he will be supported by 10 very good offensive players. If nothing else, this will be interesting.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

I don't get what you're supposed to say in those situations. Everybody wants a confident QB and you have to sell yourself to the teams but then you get people taking stuff out of context and calling you arrogant. Who are you supposed to compare yourself to in his situation? Jamarcus Russell? The media always seems to blow this stuff out of proportion.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

303cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:40 am I don't get what you're supposed to say in those situations. Everybody wants a confident QB and you have to sell yourself to the teams but then you get people taking stuff out of context and calling you arrogant. Who are you supposed to compare yourself to in his situation? Jamarcus Russell? The media always seems to blow this stuff out of proportion.
Exactly. He's never called himself the perfect prospect. He knows he still has areas of his game to improve.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

303cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:40 am I don't get what you're supposed to say in those situations. Everybody wants a confident QB and you have to sell yourself to the teams but then you get people taking stuff out of context and calling you arrogant. Who are you supposed to compare yourself to in his situation? Jamarcus Russell? The media always seems to blow this stuff out of proportion.
For every member of the media who has over-hyped up Allen and his pro prospects over the past year there are two who will use/spin anything to fit their agenda going against him.

The "stats are for losers" comment was one line in a 10 minute interview and was pretty clearly referencing what Kiper Jr. said about his mock draft.

I'm guessing everyone who is bashing the "put the offense on my shoulders" comments didn't watch the game tape of Nick Smith and our host of running backs failing to move the ball against the worst team in the country. Plus in the very same interview he calls his teammates "brothers" (he uses this term a lot previously) and my guess is that if you ask any Wyoming teammate the past few years they all love/respect him. If he were such a selfish teammate there's no way he comes back to play in the Potato bowl.

Nobody believes Josh Allen is Aaron Rodgers (at least not yet) and it's pretty obvious he was making a general statement about what he feels like his best tools are and who he models his game after.

I'd rather have a quarterback say he wants to turn around the Cleveland Browns than leak to the media that they might choose to stay in school if the Browns pick first, only to end up declaring when they have the first AND fourth picks anyway a la Rosen and Darnold. That's honestly pretty pathetic in its own right and hasn't gotten any scrutiny relative to one-line comments Josh makes in his interviews.

Bobby Knight once said that sportswriting is one or two steps above prostitution. Disagree or not, the NFL Draft writers/experts have shown their true colors in how they are actively railroading a kid's reputation based on their agenda.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm
I'm guessing everyone who is bashing the "put the offense on my shoulders" comments didn't watch the game tape of Nick Smith and our host of running backs failing to move the ball against the worst team in the country. Plus in the very same interview he calls his teammates "brothers" (he uses this term a lot previously) and my guess is that if you ask any Wyoming teammate the past few years they all love/respect him. If he were such a selfish teammate there's no way he comes back to play in the Potato bowl.
I think you're spot on with your comment, but I want to correct something about that particular game and show you a stat line:

Kellen Overstreet: 17 carries for 139 yards, 8.2 YPC (Long: 38 yards)
Trey Woods: 15 carries for 36 yards, 2.4 YPC (Long: 8 yards)
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm
I think you're spot on with your comment, but I want to correct something about that particular game and show you a stat line:

Kellen Overstreet: 17 carries for 139 yards, 8.2 YPC (Long: 38 yards)
Trey Woods: 15 carries for 36 yards, 2.4 YPC (Long: 8 yards)
You're right to correct. Like most I'm sure, I have that game mostly blacked out of my memory for health reasons.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

There are two things that seem to be the popular things to say this draft season.
1. The QB the Browns draft will bust.
2. Josh Allen will bust.

I am actually somewhat hoping Josh goes to Cleveland, because I think he's got as good a chance as anyone to turn that franchise around.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

joshvanklomp wrote:There are two things that seem to be the popular things to say this draft season.
2. Josh Allen will bust.

I am actually somewhat hoping Josh goes to Cleveland, because I think he's got as good a chance as anyone to turn that franchise around.
If the Browns take Allen 1st and Barkley 4th that team is going to start turning around.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 pm
joshvanklomp wrote:There are two things that seem to be the popular things to say this draft season.
2. Josh Allen will bust.

If the Browns take Allen 1st and Barkley 4th that team is going to start turning around.
Im sure they said the same thing when the Browns drafted Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden in the 1st round too.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

303cowboy wrote:
2. Josh Allen will bust.

Im sure they said the same thing when the Browns drafted Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden in the 1st round too.
Weeden?? Really, Did you type that with a straight face?
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:48 pm
303cowboy wrote:
2. Josh Allen will bust.

Weeden?? Really, Did you type that with a straight face?
Well we obviously have the benefit of hindsight. The guy was pretty highly regarded coming out of Okst. So yeah I bet Cleveland fans thought trading up for what they thought was a great RB and taking a productive QB later in the first was going to be the start of a turnaround. Josh Allen turning the Browns around would be incredible to see but look at their track record of developing QBs..