Offensive crossroads: who's right, old Burman or current Burman

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Bohl tweaked his defense with the use or increased use of a nickel linebacker when he came to UW, why wouldn't he be willing to make some changes to his offensive philosophy? I think he will make changes ( likely already started with the use of more shot gun formations in the last JA games and bowl games of 2017).
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 am If you want to drastically change the offensive philosophy you're gonna have to fire Bohl.

If you're the guy who wants to fire the guy who snapped the 30-year drought of consecutive 8-win seasons (and 19-year drought of consecutive 6-win seasons) in favor of a more "unique" offense, more power to ya!

I'll take winning over a unique offense any day of the week.
I personally like the current philosophy (but I liked Shyatt too, so I am weird). However, when talking about Bohl's record, it must be viewed in context.

Go take a closer look at Wyoming's 2004-2007 teams under Glenn and the 93-99 teams under Tiller and Dimel. Several bowl eligible teams that didn't actually get a bowl invite due to the different bowl structure back then (especially the 90's teams).

I don't mind anyone saying Bohl is doing a good job, because he is! But, trying to diminish what previous UW teams did in an effort to promote the current coach does not sit well with me. So we won 8 games two years in a row? That was helped tremendously by being able to play in a bowl game. Look at the records from 96-99:

10-2
7-6
8-3
7-4

Do you know how many bowls those teams played in? Zero. That's because the bowl system was a different setup. You can't tell me the current run of 8-6, 8-5 is somehow superior to those teams.
Please note that I said nothing about bowl games. I was not using bowl games as an indicator of our success for that very reason.

If you don't want to use the 8-win mark, that still doesn't change the 19-year drought of consecutive 6-win seasons. Adding a bowl game doesn't affect that because teams that don't win 6 games don't qualify for bowl games.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 am If you want to drastically change the offensive philosophy you're gonna have to fire Bohl.

If you're the guy who wants to fire the guy who snapped the 30-year drought of consecutive 8-win seasons (and 19-year drought of consecutive 6-win seasons) in favor of a more "unique" offense, more power to ya!

Not sure why this has to be the case
I think he's saying because Bohl is the reason our offense if the way it is. As long as he is HC, the offense will be a run-first, pro-style attack. Sure, you can tweak a few things here and there, but for the most part our O philosophy is set in stone regardless of who the OC is.
Exactly. Coaches have their philosophies on how an offense is supposed to look. You're not going to see any coach anywhere go back and forth between pro-style and spread and back to pro-style. It just doesn't happen.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:57 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am

Not sure why this has to be the case
I think he's saying because Bohl is the reason our offense if the way it is. As long as he is HC, the offense will be a run-first, pro-style attack. Sure, you can tweak a few things here and there, but for the most part our O philosophy is set in stone regardless of who the OC is.
Exactly. Coaches have their philosophies on how an offense is supposed to look. You're not going to see any coach anywhere go back and forth between pro-style and spread and back to pro-style. It just doesn't happen.
I know I'm not saying we need an offensive style change (switching to shotgun for clear passing plays is fine, and sometimes run plays), as I'm actually quite fine with the pro-style offense. However, things like starting Woods over Overstreet, calling plays that are 2-3 yards short of the first down when we're on 3rd or 4th down, etc. needs to change.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 am Fantastic post by Nowhere. Glenn's MWC was more similar (stress closer to not same as) to the current low level P5 conference than the current MWC.
If i remember right, a bunch of recruiting challenges started cropping up in Glenn's era. The NCAA banned flying in recruits on private flights. As a result, they had to drive recruits up from Denver, by the CSU campus, and further up the road to reach Laramie. It isn't hard to see that affecting recruiting - a 20 minute flight vs a 2 hour drive. Oh, and there is our rival. An hour closer. We are headed to BFE.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 am Fantastic post by Nowhere. Glenn's MWC was more similar (stress closer to not same as) to the current low level P5 conference than the current MWC.
If i remember right, a bunch of recruiting challenges started cropping up in Glenn's era. The NCAA banned flying in recruits on private flights. As a result, they had to drive recruits up from Denver, by the CSU campus, and further up the road to reach Laramie. It isn't hard to see that affecting recruiting - a 20 minute flight vs a 2 hour drive. Oh, and there is our rival. An hour closer. We are headed to BFE.
Definitely. Again, I like Bohl but the Johnny come lately fans don't have much appreciation for the challenges of previous coaches.
Bohl's 2017 team, I think, would have won at most 3 to 5 games in 2008. The top 3 in the MWC were damn good and AF and CSU were solid. UNLV was damn near bowl eligible and Bowling Green was playing good when they rolled us. I think the 2017 squad would lose those games + TN.
Bohl is doing a good job but the offense wouldn't have scored over a touchdown in most games back when the MWC was FBS-level.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am
Definitely. Again, I like Bohl but the Johnny come lately fans don't have much appreciation for the challenges of previous coaches.
Bohl's 2017 team, I think, would have won at most 3 to 5 games in 2008. The top 3 in the MWC were damn good and AF and CSU were solid. UNLV was damn near bowl eligible and Bowling Green was playing good when they rolled us. I think the 2017 squad would lose those games + TN.
Bohl is doing a good job but the offense wouldn't have scored over a touchdown in most games back when the MWC was FBS-level.
This year was a winning season (thank god), but it is so damn tough to gauge. If we had last years defense and this years offense - I think we might have won 3-5 games this year. If we had last years offense and this years defense - we might have went undefeated. Oregon is the canary in mine this year.

I do think Glenn did a hell of a job with the Koennig recruits. Burman was hired, and never really gave him the resources like he did Christensen and Bohl. We all say that Glenn was loyal, but it is very well possible he was just squeezing the budget he had.

I think we share alot of challenges with Air Force. We do need an offense that isn't seen week to week. The spread did good back in the 90's when it wasn't popular. The triple shoot did good - and it never really has gained any traction. Find the diamonds in the rough, develop the rest of the players, and make it tough to scheme against. I think that is the answer in Laramie.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:24 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am
This year was a winning season (thank god), but it is so damn tough to gauge. If we had last years defense and this years offense - I think we might have won 3-5 games this year. If we had last years offense and this years defense - we might have went undefeated. Oregon is the canary in mine this year.

I do think Glenn did a hell of a job with the Koennig recruits. Burman was hired, and never really gave him the resources like he did Christensen and Bohl. We all say that Glenn was loyal, but it is very well possible he was just squeezing the budget he had.

I think we share alot of challenges with Air Force. We do need an offense that isn't seen week to week. The spread did good back in the 90's when it wasn't popular. The triple shoot did good - and it never really has gained any traction. Find the diamonds in the rough, develop the rest of the players, and make it tough to scheme against. I think that is the answer in Laramie.
Any discussion about the true success of this year's team has to start with the fact that Josh Allen was lost for two very winnable games. Take away that injury and a monumental collapse by the sheep against Boise State and things look very differently at the end of the year. You're looking at losses to Iowa, Oregon and Boise State and a potential Mountain Division championship. That's a hugely successful season for Wyoming. I don't know too many past successful teams who could have succeeded in any Mountain West conference after losing a star quarterback (Bramlet, Smith especially).