Did Josh Allen hype make this season more/less enjoyable for you?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Curious about thoughts on this:

It's safe to say none of us have gone through anything like this as a Wyoming fan before. Did you go out of your way to defend Allen online against Allbright-types or even random people? Would you have preferred he wasn't hyped up nationally last off-season and flown more under the radar? Does the NFL draft complex ruin college football for fans and players?
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

I wrote some words on this earlier after Josh declared: http://www.studentunionsports.com/bensh ... e/bshumate
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Definitely more enjoyable. At Wyoming, almost any press is good press when the vast majority of the country doesn't even know that Wyoming is an FBS team.

The Allen hype will also make the off-season more enjoyable as we all follow the Senior Bowl and the combine to see how Josh stacks up. I fully expect him to blow away the competition at the combine.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Josh Allen never really lived up to the Hype this year and honestly I'm not sure anyone could. The way the media talked about him he was the next tom brady. But I did love being able to rub it into the noses of my BYU friends that Wyoming had the QB that everyone was talking about.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 pm Definitely more enjoyable. At Wyoming, almost any press is good press when the vast majority of the country doesn't even know that Wyoming is an FBS team.

The Allen hype will also make the off-season more enjoyable as we all follow the Senior Bowl and the combine to see how Josh stacks up. I fully expect him to blow away the competition at the combine.
+1
wyopoke123
Buckaroo

Anyone who doubts or crushes Allen for his onfield peformance (outside media, fans, etc) just proves they didnt watch a single game in 2016 when the full hype train wasnt here and also didnt watch the two games of our offense without him.

8-3 record with 16 touchdowns, 5 touchdown runs, and 6 INTS in 11 games with Josh playing.

0-2 record with 2 touchdowns, 1 touchdown run and 2 ints in 3 games with a Backup QB playing.

Enough said right there. Not meaning to knock Nick but for anyone out in the media to criticize Josh for his play and say he didnt elevate his team or live up to the hype, they're just clueless. Not to mention how he handled the media and hype himself so well.

Josh deserves to be celebrated in Laramie for as long as he's around. I look forward to following his career and hope its a 15 year career with a couple rings. Has a chance to keep WYO on the map for a while.
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

I have thought a lot about this throughout the season. At first it was exciting to have so much recognition from the media after a great run to the mountain west title game a year ago. And then as the season went along I really felt bad for our defense that carried our team to at least 6 of our wins. I kept thinking each passing game, when are those guys going to get the credit and when is Josh Allen going to take a back seat? And even through the two games he missed the only topic of conversation was Allen. I don't knock him personally for this, but I think the national media missed on a real opportunity to praise an amazing defensive unit.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Last year Josh was the difference between a bowl season and a 1 or 2 win season with his ability to overcome the terrible defense each week. This year, he's been the difference between a bowl season and a 1 or 2 win season due to the atrocious offense. Next year should be interesting to see if Bohl is capable of running a D1 team or not. He literally saved Bohl's ass for two years. Hopefully that was enough time for Bohl and staff to get their poop together and have a solid foundation in place.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

DVDA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 pm Last year Josh was the difference between a bowl season and a 1 or 2 win season with his ability to overcome the terrible defense each week. This year, he's been the difference between a bowl season and a 1 or 2 win season due to the atrocious offense. Next year should be interesting to see if Bohl is capable of running a D1 team or not. He literally saved Bohl's ass for two years. Hopefully that was enough time for Bohl and staff to get their poop together and have a solid foundation in place.
This just seems a bit silly to me. So the coach that is responsible for getting Josh Allen on campus and seeing his potential is somehow flawed because he brought in the guy and without him would be screwed?
I'm not negating that Josh Allen isn't a huge part of our success and that we need a qb to be successful but the same thing could be said for almost any division one football team. If you have a good to great qb you are going to have more success then you would without it. I have really loved watching the coaching staff develop this team into something altogether different then Christensen had.

Christensen was all about out scoring the opponent regardless of defensive shortcomings but we see the way that coaching staff turned out. Our defense is absolutely dominant this season and should only be better in the coming years. We need an offense that scores points but our defense is going to hold teams to a very low average and I enjoy watching a defense that can do that.

Defense wins championships: that is the mantra that I have heard from the time I was little and it was true then and it is true now. This coaching staff is building the right way but it took a long time with the cupboards as bare as they were on the defensive side of the ball when coach bohl got here.

The coaching staff won't win on defense alone, and hopefully they have a plan for winning that doesn't included 17-14 type games but I think it's silly to be critical of the coaching staff for bringing in Josh Allen as their only positive.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

GoGoPokes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:33 pm I have thought a lot about this throughout the season. At first it was exciting to have so much recognition from the media after a great run to the mountain west title game a year ago. And then as the season went along I really felt bad for our defense that carried our team to at least 6 of our wins. I kept thinking each passing game, when are those guys going to get the credit and when is Josh Allen going to take a back seat? And even through the two games he missed the only topic of conversation was Allen. I don't knock him personally for this, but I think the national media missed on a real opportunity to praise an amazing defensive unit.
This is why the bowl game was as satisfying an outcome as could have been. Josh shows flashes but the defense played so well that they could not be ignored. Even thought the ESPN booth was salivating over Josh the entire time, I think a lot of people who watched that game to see him realized that there was so much more to this Wyoming team.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

The only part of this season that wasn’t enjoyable was the complete lack of a run game and offensive production
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 pm The only part of this season that wasn’t enjoyable was the complete lack of a run game and offensive production
Agree. It sucks knowing we could definitely have beat Iowa if our receivers had learned to catch the ball and with just an average run game.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:02 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 pm The only part of this season that wasn’t enjoyable was the complete lack of a run game and offensive production
Agree. It sucks knowing we could definitely have beat Iowa if our receivers had learned to catch the ball and with just an average run game.
I remember thinking during the Iowa game that one of the most frustrating possible outcomes for this season would be Josh Allen surrounded by a subpar offensive core. Certainly came to be true but at the time I sure wasn't predicting one of the nation's top defenses to save us.