College Football Arms Race Continues

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I'm sure many of you that live in or near Wyoming hear this on a regular basis:

"I can't believe Wyoming pays Craig Bohl so much money, that is a disgrace to pay a football coach so much."

Well the next time you hear that, give that person this little tidbit.

LSU Defensive Coordinator, Dave Aranda, just agreed to a 4-year, $10 million deal to stay as the Tiger's D-Coordinator. That's right, an assistant coach making $2.5 million a year, which is almost twice what Craig Bohl is making as a head coach.

To put that in perspective, Aranda will make more next year than 81 FBS head coaches made in 2017.

It's an arms race, and to those that think Bohl is making too much, they clearly don't understand the landscape of college football.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 pm I'm sure many of you that live in or near Wyoming hear this on a regular basis:

"I can't believe Wyoming pays Craig Bohl so much money, that is a disgrace to pay a football coach so much."

Well the next time you hear that, give that person this little tidbit.

LSU Defensive Coordinator, Dave Aranda, just agreed to a 4-year, $10 million deal to stay as the Tiger's D-Coordinator. That's right, an assistant coach making $2.5 million a year, which is almost twice what Craig Bohl is making as a head coach.

To put that in perspective, Aranda will make more next year than 81 FBS head coaches made in 2017.

It's an arms race, and to those that think Bohl is making too much, they clearly don't understand the landscape of college football.
A lot of Wyoming folks pretty much live under rocks.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Before he retired, Bob Stoops was making OVER $8 million a year at Oklahoma. So this doesn't surprise me.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Plus Rich Rodriguez, NOW former HC at Arizona, was making $6 million but....A recent extramarital affair he had killed off that stream of income for him. LOL
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

$11.125 million...Nick Saban's salary...for just this year.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I look at teams that are paying coaches that haven't coached in years and then firing another guy that they have to pay big money to still and then hiring a guy that they have to pay big bucks to. The whole thing seems laughable in a way.

It's why I am in favor of a Greater 5 tournament to crown a champion in leu of our current bowl set up. We know that no matter what there is one team that will get a new years six bowl and the rest won't sniff the glory games. Why not have a best of the rest tournament and become best among our peers.

We are in no way shape or form in the same ballpark as these bigger schools with these kind of resources and the division will continue to grow.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm $11.125 million...Nick Saban's salary...for just this year.
Saban is way underpaid compared to the value and income he brings to Alabama.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:51 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm $11.125 million...Nick Saban's salary...for just this year.
Saban is way underpaid compared to the value and income he brings to Alabama.
Agreed, he brings in Bama a lot more money than that.