National Title game....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

wyokoke wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 pm I'd honestly rather have the computers back. Still have the playoff but at least computers don't have bias
Yeah except who creates the programs FOR those computers? They do have bias.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

wyokoke wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 pm I'd honestly rather have the computers back. Still have the playoff but at least computers don't have bias
Riiiiiiight... Ever heard of "GIGO"?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

303cowboy wrote:The solution to this problem is to have an 8 team playoff, if you're in a power 5 conference you win your conference and you're in. Then have 3 at-large spots with 1 guaranteed to the best team outside of the power 5.

Having said all that, the 4 team playoff is light years better than before. That first game yesterday was a blast to watch.
See that would be our solution as a fan base. However all that would happen work an 8 team playoff is we would see 8 teams all from P5 conferences.

That is why Basketball works because we have a big 64 team bracket then we have like 3-4 smaller tournaments.

You can't keep everyone out with 64 teams but with 8 you just get to cherry pick the top 8 teams and make sure G5 never breaks into the top 8. Just like right now G5 never breaks into the top 4.

The only way we could ever see the playoff system we all want would be 16 teams work Bowl games be being the playoffs.

It's never going to happen just like we'll never see as G5 team in the playoffs.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:15 am
303cowboy wrote:The solution to this problem is to have an 8 team playoff, if you're in a power 5 conference you win your conference and you're in. Then have 3 at-large spots with 1 guaranteed to the best team outside of the power 5.

Having said all that, the 4 team playoff is light years better than before. That first game yesterday was a blast to watch.
See that would be our solution as a fan base. However all that would happen work an 8 team playoff is we would see 8 teams all from P5 conferences.

That is why Basketball works because we have a big 64 team bracket then we have like 3-4 smaller tournaments.

You can't keep everyone out with 64 teams but with 8 you just get to cherry pick the top 8 teams and make sure G5 never breaks into the top 8. Just like right now G5 never breaks into the top 4.

The only way we could ever see the playoff system we all want would be 16 teams work Bowl games be being the playoffs.

It's never going to happen just like we'll never see as G5 team in the playoffs.
That's why I said you have to guarantee 1 spot to a team outside of the power 5.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

303cowboy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 am The solution to this problem is to have an 8 team playoff, if you're in a power 5 conference you win your conference and you're in. Then have 3 at-large spots with 1 guaranteed to the best team outside of the power 5.

I agree. The playoff is better than what came before and the Georgia OU game was a blast. I love college football and will always cheer for a smaller school but there wasn't any in the playoff so I loved watching the semi's and I will watch the championship game. go Georgia I guess.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Yeah, I am not watching either. I think it should be 8 team with the conference champions out of the top six conferences based on some form of ratings metric and then the top 2 rated wildcards. No G5 no P5, the top 6 conferences get their champ in. Now, I doubt that the P5 will buy into this without some sort of major outside pressure, but something along these lines (maybe top 7 conference champions and 1 wildcard) is what should happen.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

The MWC, AAC, CUSA, MAC, and Sunbelt conferences should get together and create a new playoff championship games. Call it something like College Football World championship - with the winner being crowned Champion of the world.

Publicize the hell out of it. Stream it online everywhere possible. Make it sound better than the "National Championship." Invite the P5 to participate. They probably would refuse, so make sure to have coaches in the World Championship games say "We will play anyone, anytime, anywhere. These P5 conferences have a silver spoon in their mouth and have forgotten how to play real college ball."

Hell, invite the lower division champions to participate too. Who doesn't like the fairy tail story of a div 3 team making a run for the world championship? Also, if any other teams in the world who follow American regulations want to participate, invite them too.

The P5 would eventually have to come around if this was done right. Then coaching salary caps and budgets could be addressed to even up the playing field.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Honestly, I would eliminate roughly 50% of the bowl games. Keep some for more deserving teams, but then go to a 16 or 32-team playoff. Teams don't need a full month between the conference championship and tournament. What other sport does that?

Bowl game wins cutoff could jump up to 7 or 8, and it could actually mean something. You have to finish top 2 or 3 in your conference, lets say too.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 am The MWC, AAC, CUSA, MAC, and Sunbelt conferences should get together and create a new playoff championship games. Call it something like College Football World championship - with the winner being crowned Champion of the world.

Publicize the hell out of it. Stream it online everywhere possible. Make it sound better than the "National Championship." Invite the P5 to participate. They probably would refuse, so make sure to have coaches in the World Championship games say "We will play anyone, anytime, anywhere. These P5 conferences have a silver spoon in their mouth and have forgotten how to play real college ball."

Hell, invite the lower division champions to participate too. Who doesn't like the fairy tail story of a div 3 team making a run for the world championship? Also, if any other teams in the world who follow American regulations want to participate, invite them too.

The P5 would eventually have to come around if this was done right. Then coaching salary caps and budgets could be addressed to even up the playing field.
I don't think quite a few G5 teams would enjoy playing NDSU and James Madison.
ImageImageImageImage
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:56 pm
A guy from the USA Today who went to MIT is a whole hell of a lot less biased than the AD for Texas Tech...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyokoke wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm
A guy from the USA Today who went to MIT is a whole hell of a lot less biased than the AD for Texas Tech...
Still...bias. Plus any of the power conferences could just pay the programmers under the table... :whistle: Just saying.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm
Still...bias. Plus any of the power conferences could just pay the programmers under the table... :whistle: Just saying.
You're about at bat poop as alyssa
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyokoke wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm
No...just realistic. Besides...living in Oklahoma the past 25 years has made me cynical towards college football. The big boys gets away with "murder" all the time and the NCAA won't do a damned thing about it!!!!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Using transitive property and a bowl game result to argue for UCF is just silly. Reality is, UCF schedule was soft, ranked in the triple digits actually. 10-12 teams run the table against their schedule. Like it or not, the deck is stacked against Group of 5 teams. They have very little margin for error and going undefeated in conference play is the bare minimum they have to do to prove themselves. Playing Austin Peay, Florida International and Maryland isn't going to cut it outside of a major conference.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:33 pm
wyokoke wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm
No...just realistic. Besides...living in Oklahoma the past 25 years has made me cynical towards college football. The big boys gets away with "murder" all the time and the NCAA won't do a damned thing about it!!!!
He's not wrong though there is more shady poop that goes on in College athletics than you could ever imagine.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It wouldn't be that hard to require the computer selection to use open source software. Sign off on it before the first season is played where it's used. Everybody gets to see and debate the algorithms used.

Hell, if you started everybody "ranked" the same rather than relying on previous rankings, it'd eventually settle into a pretty fair assessment as well. You could run through the results of the past 2-3 seasons just to seed the initial data set. Mathematically, this wouldn't even be that difficult of a problem to solve.

Hmmm... maybe I'll be bored enough this off-season to come up with something.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm Using transitive property and a bowl game result to argue for UCF is just silly. Reality is, UCF schedule was soft, ranked in the triple digits actually. 10-12 teams run the table against their schedule. Like it or not, the deck is stacked against Group of 5 teams. They have very little margin for error and going undefeated in conference play is the bare minimum they have to do to prove themselves. Playing Austin Peay, Florida International and Maryland isn't going to cut it outside of a major conference.
Loads of teams could have run the table against UCF's schedule, like Alabama and Georgia, oh wait...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm Playing Austin Peay, Florida International and Maryland isn't going to cut it outside of a major conference.
I get what you are trying to say here, but you do realize Maryland is in a 'major conference', right?

They suck, but they are in P5.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 am
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm Playing Austin Peay, Florida International and Maryland isn't going to cut it outside of a major conference.
I get what you are trying to say here, but you do realize Maryland is in a 'major conference', right?

They suck, but they are in P5.
UCF, also, was supposed to play Georgia Tech in 2017 but the game was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. UCF replaced that game with a late season farce known as Austin Peay.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

cowboyz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 am
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm Using transitive property and a bowl game result to argue for UCF is just silly. Reality is, UCF schedule was soft, ranked in the triple digits actually. 10-12 teams run the table against their schedule. Like it or not, the deck is stacked against Group of 5 teams. They have very little margin for error and going undefeated in conference play is the bare minimum they have to do to prove themselves. Playing Austin Peay, Florida International and Maryland isn't going to cut it outside of a major conference.
Loads of teams could have run the table against UCF's schedule, like Alabama and Georgia, oh wait...
What point are you trying to make here?