Josh Allen: where does he go?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The NFL can be a weird business. It doesn't take much for a guy to plummet down the draft board.

I still believe Josh will probably be a Top 10 pick and maybe even the first overall, but could easily see a scenario where he slides to the back half of the first round or even the second round.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The combine will show Josh's raw athleticism and hitting ALL of the throws (like that picture perfect TD throw in the Bowl Game).
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

Every poke fan should hope and pray he doesn’t go to the Browns. QB’s go to have their careers die in Cleveland.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm Every poke fan should hope and pray he doesn’t go to the Browns. QB’s go to have their careers die in Cleveland.
Everyone's career goes out the window when they end up in Cleveland! It's the black hole of professional football!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:10 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm Every poke fan should hope and pray he doesn’t go to the Browns. QB’s go to have their careers die in Cleveland.
Everyone's career goes out the window when they end up in Cleveland! It's the black hole of professional football!!!!
Right! Anyone of you guys on here actually advocating to have Josh Allen go #1 to the Browns is just completely bonkers. There is nothing worse than having a guy remembered for being a bust. Given where he is at in development and combine that with the poop show in Cleveland, it's not a recipe for success. Going to be completely honest with you guys. Without Carson Wentz/Bohl connection and his success in the NFL, there is a 0% chance Josh Allen is even in the discussion as a number one draft pick let alone in the discussion as a first round pick. Remember, Carson was a largely thought of as a third round pick (at best) until he blew off the doors at the senior bowl. That put him into discussion as a first round pick. His senior pro day/combine and interviews is what really separated himself and catapulted him into that 1/2 type discussion. Nobody, and I mean nobody, would know who Allen was without that connection.

He just isn't ready to succeed in Cleveland. To emphasize the point, let's look at the stats compared to the rest of the Mountain West this past year.

-8th in completion percentage
-7th in passer rating
-6th in passing YPG

If you blame that on the supporting cast remember this. Allen has arguably, in my opinion, the best coaching staff in the Mountain West. You can argue his receivers were worse in 2017, but he had almost identically the same completion percentage in 2016 with much superior receivers. All in all, Wyoming was a better than average, 4th out of 12 teams record wise, in Mountain west team in 2017. It's fair to say he sort of struggled in 2017 though compared to 2016, yes? If that is the case, how in the hell do you think he is going to succeed in Cleveland where their coaching staff is a complete joke, they clearly have the worse team in the NFL, and they have historically (not counting Otto Gram or Jim Brown pre super bowl years or the blimp of the Kosar years) been a very unsuccessful franchise with the inability to attract free agents?

I do think Josh Allen has a great deal of talent and he can be a very successful NFL QB if put into the right situation. At this point, he needs to sit and develop and needs to end up with the right franchise. His accuracy and decision making is not where it needs to be at this point. Remember, Cleveland's rookie QB Deshone Kizer is also very talented physically, but had accuracy/decision making issues in college. Hasn't worked out well for him in Cleveland given the support around him.
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

carbonpoke wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm Some more interesting stuff...

John Elway, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning... All didn't exactly set any accuracy records. But they have some things in common

I think they all went number one. They are all big. They could throw the leather off the ball. All right about 60%... Give or take.

Even more important, go google super bowl champions wiki. Then review the past... Let's say quarter century... And try and place what type of QB was the winner for each team. Just eye balling it here... But I'd say 90% of the champions are big.

There is a precedence for what front offices won't skip on drafting at #1. For every one Josh Allen, there are 20 Baker Mayfield. Guys that play in the spread and wheel and deal in college. They sling it all over the f-word place... Break some records, then get to the NFL and poop their pants! Why? Because they only have three guys to throw too, in tight coverage with small windows.

Those dumb asses like Albright on Twitter... It's like they have an agenda. And they say it's a fact that low percentage QBs can't succeed... What ever. Look at the history of the past 25 years of Superbowl champs.

The correlation has more to do with size and demeanor than it does with college accuracy. Then they have to look at who is drafting. The front office. Look at their history. What does John Dorsey want? Then want do the Giants want? To replace Eli...

I see a line out the god damn door for Josh.

poop is keeping me up at night. They really think that Mayfield is more NFL ready... Like what... You mean to play next year?

In the words of Samuel l Jackson... Say what mother!?$#?!!
Eh I really don't think you can make comparisons. Josh Allen's career completion of 56.2% is not right around 60% and is quite a bit lower than Peyton Manning's percentage of 62.5% in college, plus he wasn't competing in the SEC. Elway, well that was a completely different game back then with how defenses once raped the receivers. At that time, we was largely regarded as the most complete QB prospect of all time.

Jeff George, Drew Bledsoe, and Eli Manning (won 2 super bowls due to phenomenal defenses/running attack), all had accuracy issues which severely plagued them in the NFL. These guys were all drafted highly, but they didn't/haven't exactly lit up the world and their accuracy issues never improved.

Like it or not, Josh Allen does have some questions regarding accuracy and it will absolutely be dissected by GM's/Coaches. If he puts on a wicked senior bowl/pro day/combine, that will definitely help his case.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

If you blame that on the supporting cast remember this. Allen has arguably, in my opinion, the best coaching staff in the Mountain West.

How many Wyo games have you watched? If you think that our offensive coordinator was one of the best in the Mountain West then you obviously just hear Bohl's name and give Vigen a free pass based on time at NDSU. It certainly affected Josh negatively to have Vigen calling the plays.

Screwed up the formatting on that. Oops.
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:04 pm If you blame that on the supporting cast remember this. Allen has arguably, in my opinion, the best coaching staff in the Mountain West.

How many Wyo games have you watched? If you think that our offensive coordinator was one of the best in the Mountain West then you obviously just hear Bohl's name and give Vigen a free pass based on time at NDSU. It certainly affected Josh negatively to have Vigen calling the plays.

Screwed up the formatting on that. Oops.
I think I missed one.

Vigen groomed the winningest FCS QB of all time and also the future #2 NFL pick, and a guy who would have been the NFL MVP this year without getting hurt. Do not think it is Vigen.

He has a long ways to go on the mental side of things. Physically his skill set is off the charts, but he’s not there when it comes to the mental game.

Ideal situation IMO is Pittsburgh. Sit under Big Ben and learn.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

There is a huge difference between the two programs. NDSU was/is the Alabama of the FCS.

Vigens inability to call the best plays with a team that isn't the top dog of the division were amplified by having a lower caliber team.

There are a large amount of coaches that succeed when better equipped to handle the competition. Just the same we've seen great MWC coaches succeed then fail in the face of higher caliber competition once they leave the conference.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Vigen's ceiling is ballpark of last year. More offensive talent than he'll have most years and facing weaker (or at least as weak) defenses than average years.

Free agency, senior bowl, and combine will decide Josh's fate in the first round. If Browns acquire a vet QB, I think it'll be a sign they are gambling on Josh. I don't think he goes to a team that needs him next year. Giants keep Manning, same scenario.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Report: Josh Allen Will Interest Ravens If Available at No. 16 in 2018 NFL Draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756 ... re=twitter
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 pm Report: Josh Allen Will Interest Ravens If Available at No. 16 in 2018 NFL Draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756 ... re=twitter
No!

I'd be surprised if he makes it to 16, though.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Although if he went to Denver, many of us would be able to follow him much better, I don't think that would be a good place for him to land right now. The moment he first overthrows someone there, he would be crucified by the fans and media.

Perhaps the best situation, would be to sit behind a veteran for a year or two to get a hang of the system/NFL as a whole. And, while I'm no fan, Tom Brady would be one of, if not the best person for this sort of thing. While he can throw tantrums at times, his ability as an NFL QB is undeniable.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:15 am Although if he went to Denver, many of us would be able to follow him much better, I don't think that would be a good place for him to land right now. The moment he first overthrows someone there, he would be crucified by the fans and media.

Perhaps the best situation, would be to sit behind a veteran for a year or two to get a hang of the system/NFL as a whole. And, while I'm no fan, Tom Brady would be one of, if not the best person for this sort of thing. While he can throw tantrums at times, his ability as an NFL QB is undeniable.
Similarly, I think Pittsburg would be a good fit. Big Ben has mentioned retiring soon.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

The browns situation is interesting. I believe that Dorsey probably really wants Allen. His past actions lead me to believe that. However, their owner has made things difficult for Dorsey already. The owner is not allowing Dorsey to completely control this offseason, stepping in the way of Dorsey to fire Hue Jackson. So...? is it out of the realm of possibility that Allen lands somewhere else... I hope so. But let me say this. There is also a very tangible and more realistic possibility that he does land in Cleveland.

And moreover, him sliding out of the top five will not happen. If somebody else wants Allen, they are going to have to trade into the first position to get him. The browns are the only team that has the statistical advantage to desire a trade that can guarantee another organization can get Allen as their guy.

Even if somebody trades to the Giants or jets, there is too great a possibility that the browns would get Allen at the first pick.

I could see a post draft trade... Like Elway. But probably not.

Most of us see this scenario playing out. It will be fascinating to watch who and when will a team step forward.

Right now I'm high on Denver trading up.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Also, i am prepared for him to go to Cleveland. Now that I realize he is going very high, whatever situation he lands in, I have to be ready to be a fan. And he needs to embrace that situation as well. Last thing he needs is a bitch fest Alla Kapernick, or losing his head like manzel. Just do your job. Stay in the NFL as long as you can.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

JUST IN............................JUST IN

The Cleveland Browns of the NFL have made an agreement with the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL. It involves a swapping of players and money plus a player to be named later.

The agreement has the Cleveland Browns selecting with the first pick, Josh Allen, QB from Wyoming. Immediately the Cleveland Browns will ship Josh Allen to the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL for Calgary's QB, Bo Levi Mitchell, and another player from the Stampeders to be named later plus $5M. The report from the Cleveland Browns is that they have full confidence in the young QB that they selected last year in the draft from Notre Dame, but they wanted an experienced QB to be there until the young QB gets up to speed and also to help mentoring the young QB.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

What? Not even sure they can send guys to CFL.....first round pick and give up $5mil :rofl:
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BJC wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm What? Not even sure they can send guys to CFL.....first round pick and give up $5mil :rofl:

Yes, you found me out....my post was a joke! :popcorn:

(Everyone has been worrying so much about where Josh will go, I thought I would throw in a joke post to lighten the mood.)
BJC
A Real Cowboy

A little slow on the uptake today hahaha.