Josh Allen: where does he go?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Off work today, reading some stuff out there. A "source" close to the broncos said today they would actively pursue a veteran QB through free agency. Some comments about trying to build the team without giving up other pieces.

The more I think about Cleveland, the more puzzled I am. On one hand, u have a new gm that has his hands tied... On the other hand u have Hue Jackson. Is kizer the guy for Jackson. Is that his ace in the hole, I guess is what I'm trying to say? Are they prepared to go another way? Maybe they don't draft a QB... For the first time ever lol.

I also remember seeing something this past season stating that the jets were the team that did the most scouting of Allen. For the past two seasons really.

The Giants situation is probably the best roster fit for JA. Personally, I'm the least impressed with the Giants. The coaching changes, the lack of picks, an aging QB (while good for Josh now) might be the worst long term team for Josh. The front office there does just enough to remain average. Weird that I would pick Cleveland over them... But that's the nuts and bolts of it.

Also, even though I don't think Allen drops below the fifth pick... There are so many better situations.

U can tell I'm bored on my days off. f-word it I say. Too much can happen. It's a long ways off. Allen did right in the senior bowl. He showed more than Mayfield. I don't like Baker showing up late and leaving early. I hope his mom is ok, I really do... But it sure sucks for him having to make the decisions he did.

What a strange place for us Wyoming fans to be. In the midst of predraft top QB poop. It's disgusting, yet delicious.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

https://twitter.com/SBRSportsPicks/stat ... 1308836864
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:10 pm
Wyokie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:10 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm Every poke fan should hope and pray he doesn’t go to the Browns. QB’s go to have their careers die in Cleveland.
Everyone's career goes out the window when they end up in Cleveland! It's the black hole of professional football!!!!
Right! Anyone of you guys on here actually advocating to have Josh Allen go #1 to the Browns is just completely bonkers. There is nothing worse than having a guy remembered for being a bust. Given where he is at in development and combine that with the poop show in Cleveland, it's not a recipe for success. Going to be completely honest with you guys. Without Carson Wentz/Bohl connection and his success in the NFL, there is a 0% chance Josh Allen is even in the discussion as a number one draft pick let alone in the discussion as a first round pick. Remember, Carson was a largely thought of as a third round pick (at best) until he blew off the doors at the senior bowl. That put him into discussion as a first round pick. His senior pro day/combine and interviews is what really separated himself and catapulted him into that 1/2 type discussion. Nobody, and I mean nobody, would know who Allen was without that connection.

He just isn't ready to succeed in Cleveland. To emphasize the point, let's look at the stats compared to the rest of the Mountain West this past year.

-8th in completion percentage
-7th in passer rating
-6th in passing YPG

If you blame that on the supporting cast remember this. Allen has arguably, in my opinion, the best coaching staff in the Mountain West. You can argue his receivers were worse in 2017, but he had almost identically the same completion percentage in 2016 with much superior receivers. All in all, Wyoming was a better than average, 4th out of 12 teams record wise, in Mountain west team in 2017. It's fair to say he sort of struggled in 2017 though compared to 2016, yes? If that is the case, how in the hell do you think he is going to succeed in Cleveland where their coaching staff is a complete joke, they clearly have the worse team in the NFL, and they have historically (not counting Otto Gram or Jim Brown pre super bowl years or the blimp of the Kosar years) been a very unsuccessful franchise with the inability to attract free agents?

I do think Josh Allen has a great deal of talent and he can be a very successful NFL QB if put into the right situation. At this point, he needs to sit and develop and needs to end up with the right franchise. His accuracy and decision making is not where it needs to be at this point. Remember, Cleveland's rookie QB Deshone Kizer is also very talented physically, but had accuracy/decision making issues in college. Hasn't worked out well for him in Cleveland given the support around him.

I know that you're a Bohl fan and so am I, but I have to disagree with you on no one knowing Josh without the Bohl connection. I believe I have only once heard Bohl's name when the commentators, coaches and scouts on TV are discussing Josh and his draft potential, etc. And as far as Wentz being thought of as a third rounder until the Senior Bowl, I remembered a lot of talk regarding Wentz even before his senior season was completed in 2015. I Googled to see what they were saying about him in 2015, before the senior bowl in 2016. Below are some quotes I lifted from 2015. If the NFL coaches and scouts believe you can play this game they'll find you. The senior bowl is when most of the rest of us not familiar with North Dakota State's conference took notice, but he wasn't flying under any radar and neither has Josh.
____

"I'd hate to be a team in need of a quarterback. The best two in this draft might end up being from Memphis and North Dakota State and that ought to scare the (expletive) out of you. It takes some courage to turn that card in." -- NFC scout

Can Carson Wentz Become the 2016 NFL Draft's Top QB Prospect?
There’s a lot to like about Carson Wentz entering the 2015 season. He’s one of the top 10 quarterback prospects in the country, withouta doubt. He could be the top senior quarterback in the country.-Bleacher Report

Blessed with a powerful arm and an ideal quarterback build, North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz could be the answer for a team looking to develop their next franchise quarterback-USA Today
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Browns made some moves today... Indicating they are taking a QB. John Dorsey traded away kizer, brought Tyrod Taylor in, and added Jarvis Landry.

Also, broncos are making moves and adding draft picks, maybe leverage for for moving up in the first round.

Baker Mayfield is outta the equation I think. He will be drafted later like Russel Wilson, good value later.

Rosen will not go to Cleveland, he built the wall himself.

Josh is very much in the discussion for number 1 overall.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I think the Taylor trade means the Browns are taking Barkley 1st. Although it could be argued they are locked on Josh and using Taylor to give him time. I don't think that is the case. I think they are gambling that the Giants aren't taking a QB either (1 of top 2 QBs will be available at 4), that they have the expendable capital to move to 2, or a good qb option will be available at 4. Waiting on a qb at 4 might be dangerous if others move up.

It will be an interesting draft day.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Rumor of the day is Buffalo is acquiring enough draft equity to trade ahead of Denver to take Allen.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Bills, Browns and Broncos would be pretty easy to root for for me if Josh ended up there.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Bills have been trying to make a move up the draft board.

To play in Buffalo, you need to be able to play through cold and wind, something Josh has plenty of experience doing.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:01 pm Bills, Browns and Broncos would be pretty easy to root for for me if Josh ended up there.
Only triple B’s for LanderPoke!!! :cool: