2018 Starting QB predictions

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

Smith getting married this Spring
I doubt he wants to come back to this Offense.
Remember Chandler Garrett and Fort left because of Josh Allen.
I imagine the starting job being open will create excitement and we do have extra scholarships.
The Staff had to know Allen was leaving So a Plan B will be in effect.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Of all of the QB's (Smith, Vander Waal & Chambers) that the Pokes have right now the most highly rated is Chambers. My take is that it will be a wide open competition this coming fall. Spring Ball will settle nothing as far as the QB position is concerned. I think that it all depends on who comes in and demonstrates that they can stay cool under pressure, make the right calls and moves the offense. I have changed my opinion some, as I don't think that just because Vander Waal and Smith have been here the longest means necessarily that they have the position locked. Just my two cents.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:33 pm Of all of the QB's (Smith, Vander Waal & Chambers) that the Pokes have right now the most highly rated is Chambers. My take is that it will be a wide open competition this coming fall. Spring Ball will settle nothing as far as the QB position is concerned. I think that it all depends on who comes in and demonstrates that they can stay cool under pressure, make the right calls and moves the offense. I have changed my opinion some, as I don't think that just because Vander Waal and Smith have been here the longest means necessarily that they have the position locked. Just my two cents.
I agree that it will be an open competition but I don't think Chambers will be anywhere close to ready to compete for the starting job. I really like the signing and he has some great tools to be a good Qb but I don't think he is ready. He completed under 50% of his passes in HS. I think he will have lots of work in the passing game to get done before he would be ready to lead the cowboys.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I'm slightly concerned about this position....or at least reassessing my expectations.

One thing Bohl may have to better prepare for in the future is defections. Not guys transferring out, but guys declaring for the NFL Draft. I think he was completely caught off-guard by Hill's decision to go pro, and didn't really have time to go find a successor last year. We saw what happened.

Now this year. I worry somewhat that we'll see a similar drop-off. We know what we have in Smith, and it's not great. He's like the Nico Evans of the QB group. VanderWaal and Chambers are the unproven guys, with even less experience than Hall and Overstreet.

Part of me wonders if he should try to give VanderWaal and Chambers another year to get better, and bring in a JUCO or grad transfer.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 pm I'm slightly concerned about this position....or at least reassessing my expectations.

One thing Bohl may have to better prepare for in the future is defections. Not guys transferring out, but guys declaring for the NFL Draft. I think he was completely caught off-guard by Hill's decision to go pro, and didn't really have time to go find a successor last year. We saw what happened.

Now this year. I worry somewhat that we'll see a similar drop-off. We know what we have in Smith, and it's not great. He's like the Nico Evans of the QB group. VanderWaal and Chambers are the unproven guys, with even less experience than Hall and Overstreet.

Part of me wonders if he should try to give VanderWaal and Chambers another year to get better, and bring in a JUCO or grad transfer.
If Smith does transfer or walk away, I would expect at least one grad transfer or JUCO if not two to compete for the starting spot since Vander Waal is so young.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Haven't seen this posted anywhere but we got a commit from a Juco QB

https://twitter.com/i_ramsey1/status/950526049145716736

Isaiah Ramsey out of College of the Desert. I don't know anything about him but it appears he was injured this year but he looks big and athletic.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 am Haven't seen this posted anywhere but we got a commit from a Juco QB

https://twitter.com/i_ramsey1/status/950526049145716736

Isaiah Ramsey out of College of the Desert. I don't know anything about him but it appears he was injured this year but he looks big and athletic.
Interesting, thanks for posting!

According to his bio he played in one game this year and his only stat was a tackle. He apparently signed with Iowa Western out of HS but I couldn't locate any stats indicating he played there. We thought Josh Allen came from nowhere...this guy far exceeds that. Too bad he wont be here for the spring game because I'd be interested to see him.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Going from Palm Springs to Laramie should be fun. I know nothing about this kid but I trust the coaches know what they are looking for. Looking forward to watching him compete.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Is this due diligence? Setting up our team with depth? Or are the coaches telling us something about the current batch of QBs on the roster/signees?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am Going from Palm Springs to Laramie should be fun. I know nothing about this kid but I trust the coaches know what they are looking for. Looking forward to watching him compete.
Played HS football in Omaha. Should be fine weather and location wise.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am Is this due diligence? Setting up our team with depth? Or are the coaches telling us something about the current batch of QBs on the roster/signees?
I think it confirms that Smith will not be starting.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am Is this due diligence? Setting up our team with depth? Or are the coaches telling us something about the current batch of QBs on the roster/signees?
I think it confirms that Smith will not be starting.
This coaching staff is all about competition, Smith still could be the starting qb but I expect a competition and the one thing that hurts this kid is he won't be here until summer. That could make it hard. Has anyone seen how many years of eligibility he has?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

He'll have 3 years of eligibility according to his Highlight Video here.
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/147195/5a2 ... 0e00411b0d
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

The first thing that jumps out at me is throwing motion. Its different. But in the small sample given, he appears to throw a good ball and looks like the has some zip on a number of his throws. Cant hurt to have QB depth.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 am He'll have 3 years of eligibility according to his Highlight Video here.
Looks like a big body who can move a little bit. Throws a decent deep ball but his motion looks pretty funky to me on short stuff. Awful hard to say much about tape in shorts though. Has he been hurt? Ineligible?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 am He'll have 3 years of eligibility according to his Highlight Video here.
Thanks for posting. Not everyday that you see a highlight video full of clips from practice without pads :lol: . The only thing that I can say definitively from the video is that he is athletic. From the 'highlight' video, he doesn't throw a Josh Allen bullet and at practice he apparently typically looks for the deep throw over any underneath routes. I probably could have got a better sense from a highlight video from competitive flag football games.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Does he have a red shirt year? My guess is that the coaches are actually hoping not to have to play this guy this year but see him as a project. Josh Allen was never supposed to come in right away his first year but injury necessitated him playing early. I see the same thing with this kid, a project with high upside but raw.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

My uneducated and speculative guess is that Ramsey is being recruited for a different position, maybe a WR or Athlete.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

No way this guy got a scholarship, has to be a pwo... One of the kids down the street that plays in the road is as polished as this dude. Maybe he is our new long snapper.?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

It's weird. Totally out of left field