2018 Starting QB predictions

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am Is this due diligence? Setting up our team with depth? Or are the coaches telling us something about the current batch of QBs on the roster/signees?
It's weird. Totally out of left field
Looks to be digging deep. Who knows, maybe they see something. Will be interesting to follow his progression
W-Y, Until I Die!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Remember Aaron Young recruiting himself on Facebook as the next Wyoming QB and couldn't beat out walk-on? This feels similar, unless the coaches had him on their radar as the know the Nebraska area.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

If Bohl and staff hit on this guy, they will undoubtedly be acknowledged as the best eye for QB talent.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm If Bohl and staff hit on this guy, they will undoubtedly be acknowledged as the best eye for QB talent.
I definitely trust them when it comes to QBs
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm If Bohl and staff hit on this guy, they will undoubtedly be acknowledged as the best eye for QB talent.
There’s no way he’s on a schollie though, right?

Also, looks like CJ’s dad might have been instrumental in his recruitment
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:55 pm Remember Aaron Young recruiting himself on Facebook as the next Wyoming QB and couldn't beat out walk-on? This feels similar, unless the coaches had him on their radar as the know the Nebraska area.
He was on their radar previously
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

From what I can tell, he didn't play anywhere last year. And won't be in until summer, so unlikely he'll be in the mix.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 am From what I can tell, he didn't play anywhere last year. And won't be in until summer, so unlikely he'll be in the mix.
He played at college of the desert and registered a tackle. He was apparently injured for most of the year.

The media liked to focus on Josh Allen coming out of nowhere...just wait until this guy lights it up!!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 am From what I can tell, he didn't play anywhere last year. And won't be in until summer, so unlikely he'll be in the mix.
He played at college of the desert and registered a tackle. He was apparently injured for most of the year.

The media liked to focus on Josh Allen coming out of nowhere...just wait until this guy lights it up!!
At least Josh looked like a QB on his highlight tape. This guy looked like my unathletic cousin at the family Turkey Bowl.
I really hope they plan to use him in a different position and don't see him as a legitimate starter candidate at QB.

But Bohl and Vigen have earned my patience when it comes to recruiting QB's, so we'll see...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 amHe played at college of the desert and registered a tackle. He was apparently injured for most of the year.
Saw something that said he was coaching at his HS alma mater. I'll see if I can find it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/Sean_Callahan/statu ... 3275175938
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BTW, he's walking on
https://twitter.com/dwatsonsports/statu ... 2079601664
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

https://twitter.com/KellerChryst/status ... 7071490053 I do believe his mom was an athlete at Wyoming in the 80s. Also his uncle is Paul Chryst so who knows.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:15 pm https://twitter.com/KellerChryst/status ... 7071490053 I do believe his mom was an athlete at Wyoming in the 80s. Also his uncle is Paul Chryst so who knows.
Aren't there rules for grad transfers that say they can only go to a different school by enrolling in a grad program not currently offered at their school? You'd think Stanford kids would have pretty limited options...
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

cali2wyo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:15 pm https://twitter.com/KellerChryst/status ... 7071490053 I do believe his mom was an athlete at Wyoming in the 80s. Also his uncle is Paul Chryst so who knows.
Aren't there rules for grad transfers that say they can only go to a different school by enrolling in a grad program not currently offered at their school? You'd think Stanford kids would have pretty limited options...
Oh I'm sure they could cook something up.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Pretty sure Stanford does not offer a Masters in Agricultural Economics. Almost every FBS school has grad programs not available at Stanford.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

First day of class today...we should know fairly soon whether or not we were able to attract a 5th year transfer.
Jellystone
Buckaroo

My take on 2018 is:

Nick Smith will be the starter coming out of spring ball. He will benefit from an entire spring and summer and fall camp where he is the #1 QB. He will definitely start the first two games, but I see Vanderwall being close and ready to jump in after those two games.

Vanderwall will be #2, not because he's better than Chambers, but because they redshirt Chambers.
Vanderwall traveled as a redshirt last year, so will Chambers.

Chambers will win the job as a redshirt freshmen and play 3/4 years.

Ramsey will probably never see the field at WYO, but adds depth and competiton?

Marquez is the puzzle.....

Doesn't get offered as a legacy at CU, doesn't have many offers, looks to be a good athlete, but is slight of frame.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Jellystone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 pm My take on 2018 is:

Nick Smith will be the starter coming out of spring ball. He will benefit from an entire spring and summer and fall camp where he is the #1 QB. He will definitely start the first two games, but I see Vanderwall being close and ready to jump in after those two games.

Vanderwall will be #2, not because he's better than Chambers, but because they redshirt Chambers.
Vanderwall traveled as a redshirt last year, so will Chambers.

Chambers will win the job as a redshirt freshmen and play 3/4 years.

Ramsey will probably never see the field at WYO, but adds depth and competiton?

Marquez is the puzzle.....

Doesn't get offered as a legacy at CU, doesn't have many offers, looks to be a good athlete, but is slight of frame.
In all sincerity, being the starter coming out of spring ball is meaningless, and I wouldn't be so sure that he is the #1 coming out of spring. I would rather call it #1 or #2 QB, not starter or back-up, as the true starter won't be named until late in Fall Camp.

I don't think that Ramsey even makes it. I would think that he will come out, but we will hear later on that he "has left the team for personal reasons"....and that will be the last we hear his name or think about him in conjunction with Cowboy football. I watched the guys film, and it was only a practice and he was unable to run, and his throwing motion was strange. I don't think that he adds depth or competition and I don't think that he could beat out Nick Szpor.

Marquez took the best offer he had. His arm is not the strength that it needs to be to be classified as a FBS QB. I would imagine that he will work on it a lot, but when he gets to UW he will get his chance at QB, but it will probably be an eye-opening event, and from there who knows. But I think more than Ramsey he offers competition and depth, but I don't think he will be in close to any thought of being involved in the QB competition at UW in the foreseeable future.

There has been some talk lately that a grad transfer from Michigan might come in. I wouldn't be surprised if a grad transfer did come in this summer, and I think that he will offer more competition than anything else, and who knows he might be the starter when the season starts.

The QB position in many respects despite the fact that we have a player that has been in the program a long time returning at the position, is about as fluid as I have seen it in some time, and I don't see anything being decided until deep into Fall Camp. People want to downplay Sean Chambers, but let us not forget that he had a P5 commitment to a BIG10 team that he backed out of and he was rated as the #2 player out of the Fresno area. What people have said about him is that he is an incredible competitor who happens to play the QB position. He is a gifted athlete, but the biggest question is, how will he adapt to college ball and the playbook at UW?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 pm Marquez took the best offer he had. His arm is not the strength that it needs to be to be classified as a FBS QB. I would imagine that he will work on it a lot, but when he gets to UW he will get his chance at QB, but it will probably be an eye-opening event, and from there who knows. But I think more than Ramsey he offers competition and depth, but I don't think he will be in close to any thought of being involved in the QB competition at UW in the foreseeable future.
Wasn't this more or less what happened with Bouknight? I know he played QB in high school, but then ended up at receiver for UW because he was still a really gifted athlete. Or did he actually come to UW as a WR?