Idaho Potato Bowl: Three Stars

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

dapokes wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 pm You old heads make me laugh w the Wallwork and Welniak as undrafted comps....😂
Welniak, unlike Wallwork, ACS, Smith, Allen, etc...actually won a conference championship!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

dapokes wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 pm You old heads make me laugh w the Wallwork and Welniak as undrafted comps....😂
I think it comes down to the wording of Wyoming never seeing another like him, etc... He's hardly been the best Wyoming QB and I am positive Wyoming will see QBs in the future as good and probably better, while they play for Wyoming. Josh looks to have amazing potential and when he gets drafted that's what he'll be drafted for, his potential, not his accomplishments. So he could probably eventually be the most accomplished pro QB Wyoming has ever had, but he's not accomplished the most while at the university.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

cowboyz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:10 pm I think it comes down to the wording of Wyoming never seeing another like him, etc... He's hardly been the best Wyoming QB and I am positive Wyoming will see QBs in the future as good and probably better, while they play for Wyoming. Josh looks to have amazing potential and when he gets drafted that's what he'll be drafted for, his potential, not his accomplishments. So he could probably eventually be the most accomplished pro QB Wyoming has ever had, but he's not accomplished the most while at the university.
Yeah, exactly. Brett Smith had amazing stats compared to Allen, but he didn't have nearly the same pro potential. If we somehow end up with another QB who can mimic Smith (but in our current scheme), while also having a defense this good, we could have an amazing team.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

That being said he was not the most accomplished qb at wyoming. Truthfully he was not even second team all conference this year. His numbers last year were great but when you only have two years to your credit you need more from that second year. Josh wasn't fully to blame, I recognize that and it's a shame we didn't have more weapons for him this year.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 am "Wyoming hasn’t seen a QB like Allen in their program’s history and there is a good chance they will never see one like him again."

Not to be too critical, but this sounds like something I would expect from SDPoke or one of the other Chicken Littles on this board. Very negative comment.

Oh, and one name- Josh Wallwork...
The point is pretty simple. Wyoming has never had a player who has been touted as a possible overall #1 pick in the NFL Draft and probably will never again just playing the odds.

People throwing out Welniak and Wallwork comparisons have had too much double spiked eggnog.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 pm
Fact is, both of those guys had better records and better numbers than Allen. :eek:
Better numbers, yes, but I think JA's conference winning % is the best ever for a Pokes QB. (This I have not checked on). Can't speak for Welniak, but Wallwork was an excellent QB. I agree
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:48 am
Fact is, both of those guys had better records and better numbers than Allen. :eek:
Better numbers, yes, but I think JA's conference winning % is the best ever for a Pokes QB. (This I have not checked on). Can't speak for Welniak, but Wallwork was an excellent QB. I agree
Not true on the conference win in percentage, but it is the highest in 30 years.

Allen is an all-time great, as are Wallwork and Welniak.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 am "Wyoming hasn’t seen a QB like Allen in their program’s history and there is a good chance they will never see one like him again."

Not to be too critical, but this sounds like something I would expect from SDPoke or one of the other Chicken Littles on this board. Very negative comment.

And Colby Kirkegaard.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:48 am
Welniak went undefeated against WAC teams for two seasons.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wicks wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 am

The point is pretty simple. Wyoming has never had a player who has been touted as a possible overall #1 pick in the NFL Draft and probably will never again just playing the odds.

People throwing out Welniak and Wallwork comparisons have had too much double spiked eggnog.
Meh, people said the same things about both of them back then. But, back then, there were no interwebs to publish things simply spoken in conversation ...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

This is how I read it. It's pretty clear to me the author was speaking of Allen's incredible physical gifts and potential and not of Allen's accomplishments at the college level. Some guys are great at the college level like Brett Smith with no NFL future and then there are guys like Josh Allen who have as a bright an NFL future as anyone ever has. It's highly unlikely UW ever gets another quarterback with Allen's size, mobility, and arm. That doesn't mean UW can't get another great college quarterback, but it is pretty unlikely they get on who could be the number one overall pick after putting up incredibly mediocre numbers in a weak conference.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

I'm incredibly grateful for having watched Allen and seeing all of his physical tools and other intangibles. That being said, if we don't have another Allen type but are a consistent 9+ win football team, competing for the conference title and occasional New Years Bowl, I'll take that over a mediocre season and a top 10 pick. If Chambers, Van der Waal or others are great college QBs and not NFL prospects (meaning highly successful at UW), well I can live with that.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Meh, people said the same things about both of them back then. But, back then, there were no interwebs to publish things simply spoken in conversation ...
People around Laramie may have said that, but the fact is they both went undrafted.