2018 Outlook - AKA Post-Allen Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 224 times

wyoair wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 am Its just calling a spade a spade. Smith by all accounts is a great teammate and Cowboy. But he's not a starter plain and simple. When I see him play I see a deer in the headlights look at all times. Granted that's limited playing time but he does have 2 starts under his belt and is an upperclassman that's been in the system for 4 years. Smith may start game 1 but that's it. If he starts more or all year then my liver is in for a world of hurt in 2018.
Not true. Smith has 4 career starts and has played the majority of 2 other games too. He has been about equally not good in all (although 2015 against EMU in his first game after Allen went down in the 1st QTR was maybe the worst QB performance I’ve ever witnessed).

Those that thought he was a D1 player this year (after seeing him in 2015) were lying to themselves or just don’t know football. He is a great competitor but plain and simple he does not have near the talent necessary to compete at this level in this offense.

I would be shocked if he is higher than QB3 next year. Had he had the athleticism to move positions (ala Austin Fort), he would not have been listed as a QB for the Pokes the past two years.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't believe for a minute that Bohl will play a true freshmen at qb. Unless there is a transfer( juco or graduate) than Smith is at least number two.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:28 pm
wyoair wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 am Its just calling a spade a spade. Smith by all accounts is a great teammate and Cowboy. But he's not a starter plain and simple. When I see him play I see a deer in the headlights look at all times. Granted that's limited playing time but he does have 2 starts under his belt and is an upperclassman that's been in the system for 4 years. Smith may start game 1 but that's it. If he starts more or all year then my liver is in for a world of hurt in 2018.
Not true. Smith has 4 career starts and has played the majority of 2 other games too. He has been about equally not good in all (although 2015 against EMU in his first game after Allen went down in the 1st QTR was maybe the worst QB performance I’ve ever witnessed).

Those that thought he was a D1 player this year (after seeing him in 2015) were lying to themselves or just don’t know football. He is a great competitor but plain and simple he does not have near the talent necessary to compete at this level in this offense.

I would be shocked if he is higher than QB3 next year. Had he had the athleticism to move positions (ala Austin Fort), he would not have been listed as a QB for the Pokes the past two years.
There ya go 4 starts. He’s a lifetime back up QB for a reason.
Mbgrip
Buckaroo

Keller Chryst is leaving Stanford. He could be a big pick up for wyo and I believe he is eligible this up coming year!
Mbgrip
Buckaroo

After I attended the San Jose st game in which Smith played a pathetic game, I believe he is not the answer to Allen’s departure. He played very soft, definitely not the tough mentally of Josh Allen. Unless he can develop a new attitude this spring I would pursue a transfer. Keller Chryst or Perhaps the Alabama QB that was benched at half time of the BCS Championship. There’s got to be a QB out there that would want to blossom under the guidance of Coach Bohl. Specially after the success of Allen and Wentz. The only question is how do you recruit a transfer?
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Mbgrip wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 am After I attended the San Jose st game in which Smith played a pathetic game, I believe he is not the answer to Allen’s departure. He played very soft, definitely not the tough mentally of Josh Allen. Unless he can develop a new attitude this spring I would pursue a transfer. Keller Chryst or Perhaps the Alabama QB that was benched at half time of the BCS Championship. There’s got to be a QB out there that would want to blossom under the guidance of Coach Bohl. Specially after the success of Allen and Wentz. The only question is how do you recruit a transfer?
Jalen Hurts isn't coming to Wyoming. The only reason Chryst gets thrown out there is because he has a specific Wyoming connection.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I highly doubt that Kellen Chryst transfers to Wyoming, he'd probably go to Wisconsin (uncle Paul is HC) before Wyoming and he wouldn't even start at Wisconsin. And there is no way in hell that Jalen Hurst ends up a Cowboy.