Wyoming Will Face Chippewas in Idaho

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Interesting matchup. CMU has been winning but against mostly bad competition. Same can be said of us. They can put up points; we can't.

Pretty much same story. I think we get outplayed statistically, but should have a chance to win because of defense, special teams, and hopefully at least 14 points by the offense.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Maroon Zone
Buckaroo

Greetings Wyoming fans. Looking forward to our matchup in a few weeks.

I would disagree that our wins during our winning streak came against nobody. Northern Illinois won 8 games and was in the hunt for the MAC West title until we beat them in the last game of the regular season. Eastern Michigan had a poor record, but also lost six games by fewer than 30 points. One of those was against Kentucky.

I will definitely give you guys the edge in terms of who you played, and who you beat, but I wouldn't entirely dismiss our quality of wins.

That said, I am expecting a competitive game. I'm predicting a CMU victory, but really could see it coming down to a play or two here or there.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Looking at the bowl scene in the paper today, I notice that of all the 70 or so bowls, ESPN is broadcasting all but 9 of them. Would my observation that ESPN mostly controls which teams go where be correct?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

J-Rod wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 pm Next press conference will be interesting. Does Josh Allen wear brown and gold one more time?
I highly doubt it. I hate this trend of not playing in Bowl games. Might as well skip the rest of the season once you become a draft prospect
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Maroon Zone wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 am Greetings Wyoming fans. Looking forward to our matchup in a few weeks.

I would disagree that our wins during our winning streak came against nobody. Northern Illinois won 8 games and was in the hunt for the MAC West title until we beat them in the last game of the regular season. Eastern Michigan had a poor record, but also lost six games by fewer than 30 points. One of those was against Kentucky.

I will definitely give you guys the edge in terms of who you played, and who you beat, but I wouldn't entirely dismiss our quality of wins.

That said, I am expecting a competitive game. I'm predicting a CMU victory, but really could see it coming down to a play or two here or there.
Welcome and looking forward to the game.

IMO, it is what it is. Both MWC and MAC consist of largely weak teams. I imagine the top 1 or 2 teams in each have a pulse but rest are mediocre at best.

Both teams come in with wins against mostly weak programs.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 am Looking at the bowl scene in the paper today, I notice that of all the 70 or so bowls, ESPN is broadcasting all but 9 of them. Would my observation that ESPN mostly controls which teams go where be correct?
ESPN owns most of the bowls.
ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 am Both teams come in with wins against mostly weak programs.
And Wyoming comes in with a pathetic loss to the worst team in FBS. I'm still really pissed about that. We should have been able to win that game without even using a QB.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 am Both teams come in with wins against mostly weak programs.
And Wyoming comes in with a pathetic loss to the worst team in FBS. I'm still really pissed about that. We should have been able to win that game without even using a QB.
Are the Spartans the only MW team Bohl hasn’t beaten? If so, that’s pretty sad
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:39 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 am
Are the Spartans the only MW team Bohl hasn’t beaten? If so, that’s pretty sad
Did the last guy that has now vanished into the depths of the country ever beat them either?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Maroon Zone wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 am Greetings Wyoming fans. Looking forward to our matchup in a few weeks.

It's actually pretty simple and has nothing to do with a play or two here or there.

If Josh Allen plays, Wyoming wins. If Josh Allen does not play, CMU wins. Hearing that Josh Allen is likely to be 'available' without hearing that he is 'playing,' leads me to believe that Josh Allen will be suited up but not playing. But Allen is a competitor and he might say to hell with it and what everyone else thinks, I'm playing (that's what I'm hoping for).
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Just wanted to say I'm pretty excited the 'Pokes are in a bowl game at all. My expectations were low going into the season.

1988 was the last time the 'Pokes had back to back bowl games (which BTW we lost both).
52-56
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

jessejames02 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 pm Just wanted to say I'm pretty excited the 'Pokes are in a bowl game at all. My expectations were low going into the season.

1988 was the last time the 'Pokes had back to back bowl games (which BTW we lost both).
1988 was also the last time we won an outright conference championship. To me that's criminal!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

31 minutes...it took 31 minutes for Wyokie to show up once someone mentioned 1988...it's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times. :lol:
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:32 pm 31 minutes...it took 31 minutes for Wyokie to show up once someone mentioned 1988...it's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

jessejames02 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 pm Just wanted to say I'm pretty excited the 'Pokes are in a bowl game at all. My expectations were low going into the season.

Every team with a pulse gets into a bowl game now though.
george14
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:47 am It's actually pretty simple and has nothing to do with a play or two here or there.

If Josh Allen plays, Wyoming wins. If Josh Allen does not play, CMU wins. Hearing that Josh Allen is likely to be 'available' without hearing that he is 'playing,' leads me to believe that Josh Allen will be suited up but not playing. But Allen is a competitor and he might say to hell with it and what everyone else thinks, I'm playing (that's what I'm hoping for).
CMU fan here.

I wouldn't exactly say it's that simple. WYO appears to have a very good defense. CMU leads the nation in turnovers and also has a solid defense, not as good as yours though. Your special teams also look better than ours. We have the big advantage on offense though, we are deep at receiver and have 3 capable RB's. Granted, I have not watched WYO football so feel free to rip me, but statistically it doesn't look like Allen has been that great this year: 56% 13TD 6INT. I know he is a projected 1st/2nd rounder, but he definitely doesn't wow on the stat sheet. I remember watching EMU beat WYO last year and thinking Allen didn't look all that great. Then again, last year CMU had QB Cooper Rush who is now the Dallas Cowboys backup and he didn't look great at times because our team wasn't that great.

I expect a CMU win regardless, but I think the game will be close. Looks like WYO have a stout defense especially against the pass. Not to mention playing Fresno and Boise close.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Chippewas aren't gonna be easy esp if JA doesn't play, I sure hope Nick takes most of the snaps and reps as he's truly gonna need them!!!!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:31 pm

We had to be undefeated in conference play in order to get those two bowl games. We played Iowa and Oklahoma State including Barry freakin' Sanders). I don't consider any bowl we've been in since comparable.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Lost Poke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

We had to be undefeated in conference play in order to get those two bowl games. We played Iowa and Oklahoma State including Barry freakin' Sanders). I don't consider any bowl we've been in since comparable.
To be fair, not all of us are old enough to remember those games. I know at least two of us on here aren't (myself being one of them).
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:26 pm
Lost Poke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

To be fair, not all of us are old enough to remember those games. I know at least two of us on here aren't (myself being one of them).
You young 'uns need us old curmudgeons to remind you how it was better in our time. :D