Allen: Stay, NFL, or P5 Team?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Kiszla of the Denver Post weighs in on Allen.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/25/wy ... ohn-elway/
BJC
A Real Cowboy

never thought about a transfer.....................
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

If it is true that he was actually cleared to play yesterday, but just sitting out because he is ready for NFL, then I don't see him transferring. I think it is NFL and nothing else.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

What would transferring accomplish? No playing time, he's already used his redshirt, and he was already slated to head to the NFL by the end of this season anyway. To transfer to some random P5 school wouldn't do anything for him OR the school.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

A transfer might be a disaster. Could you imagine if he didn't start, or worse yet, does start and does poorly? He doesn't have the best resume right now. Another mediocre season and he might be drafted right around the same round as Brett Smith. His potential is what will get him drafted and every bad snap lessens this potential. If he stays or transfers and kills it, sure, he's a top pick. If he's sure he's being drafted, he'll go.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

He should be top 3 or 4 QBs taken. I don't think he's top 2 (Darnold and Rosen are going top2). Combine means everything to Josh, Falk, Rudolph, and Mayfield. He might fall behind 1 of those, but I don't think he'll fall behind 2+ unless his combine is bad.

Josh is a project. He isn't ready to take the reins on a struggling NFL team. He'll declare and get to work with NFL coaches. Rookie contracts are only 4 years, so he might as well get started. I'm not sure another year improves his draft status all that much and I think the injury drove home the risk.

Slipping a little might be a good thing as long as he avoids the Jets. That would be a disaster.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

And I wonder if Rosen or Darnold decide to stay............guy probably wishes he had gone last year. But I heard he graduated? If true he could play right away for anybody.........just never thought about that.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:03 pm Slipping a little might be a good thing as long as he avoids the Jets. That would be a disaster.
Or the Browns. THAT'S a major dumpster fire there!!!!! Could end up being the SECOND team to ever go 0-16 (2008 Detroit Lions was the first).
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

He would be complete MORON if he didn't enter the draft.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
lakeside
Buckaroo

Cuttslam wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm He would be complete MORON if he didn't enter the draft.
Because money solves all problems right
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

A number 1 pick in the NFL doesn't transfer to another school, nor play in a game that means nothing for his future, he's truly gone, once we saw him introduced as a Senior at the Fresno St game.....thanx for playin, NEXT....
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

lakeside wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:32 am
Cuttslam wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm He would be complete MORON if he didn't enter the draft.
No, because his career goal is to be a NFL qb. Another year here or other college program will not be more beneficial than a year in a nfl system.

Best of luck to him and I hope he somehow falls to new England or Pittsburgh. Likely not.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

lakeside wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:32 am
No, it doesn't solve all problems but it sure solves more than no money. Try it sometime.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

I love those hopeless optimists, or so to speak, think he'll be loyal to Wyoming and play in the bowl, sure I'd love to see him again, but I saw all I needed to see at the Fresno St game, business is business even at Wyoming
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 am I love those hopeless optimists, or so to speak, think he'll be loyal to Wyoming and play in the bowl, sure I'd love to see him again, but I saw all I needed to see at the Fresno St game, business is business even at Wyoming
Couldn't that argument be made regarding coming back at all this year? If money was the only defining factor I don't know why he came back at all. I think he came back in part due to loyalty to the coaching staff that gave him a shot to play division one ball.

I won't be surprised if he doesn't play just as I wasn't surprised if he left last year to be a first round pick. I'm just hopeful that we get our best team in the bowl game.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

totally agree with you about "last year" he didn't need to come back at all but did so for help to the program, coaches and such, but this year it's history, that's my getting at....Thanks for all you did/done for us Josh, but I still don't have to like the way the season ended, injury or not, this team seems to get bowl eligible and then the wheels fall off, that's all I see!!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I know I'm virtually alone on this sentiment, but I don't think he'll be very good in the NFL. He's got a rocket arm and can make all the throws, but his accuracy and decision making leave a lot to be desired.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am I know I'm virtually alone on this sentiment, but I don't think he'll be very good in the NFL. He's got a rocket arm and can make all the throws, but his accuracy and decision making leave a lot to be desired.
So much to weigh in in that manner. I agree his accuracy and decision making leave alot to be desired but does personnel have much to do with this? For example if he was throwing to Oklahoma State Wide Recievers this year is he going to have a higher win percentage? Or if he has a dominant offensive line? Wyoming has neither great talent at skill positions (with a few exceptions) and an offensive line that has also been haphazard. I think he could be good if put in the right position but would hate to see him a starter next season as I feel he simply isn't ready for that kind of jump yet.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am I know I'm virtually alone on this sentiment, but I don't think he'll be very good in the NFL. He's got a rocket arm and can make all the throws, but his accuracy and decision making leave a lot to be desired.
You would be wrong. Josh made gold out of a crap sandwich this year for the most part. Put Josh in literally any other offense and he would have fantastic numbers and would be taken 1st overall
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:52 am
You would be wrong. Josh made gold out of a crap sandwich this year for the most part. Put Josh in literally any other offense and he would have fantastic numbers and would be taken 1st overall
I too think Josh's stock has only gone up since the AF game. He was surrounded by freshman playmakers, a swiss cheese offensive line, and still led this team to 7 ugly wins. Without him we look like the worst team in all of college football. You put him on a team with an offensive line and even one receiver who could separate and make plays and his numbers are as good if not better than anyone in the country.