Inexcusable.....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

One last thing..... The basketball team without their best player this year isn't going to lose to the worst basketball team in the country. In fact the basketball team would still beat a lot of top 100 schools without JJ playing. Football on the other hand... Well you saw yesterday what happens.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

cfootball16 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am There is no doubt yesterday's game was a hard one to swallow for everyone and I'm absolutely sure that includes every player and coach on the team. That being said, I have no doubt this team will use it as motivation to make every effort to not have it happen again. From what I have seen, this team is made up of a bunch of fighters and I expect the next time they step on the field things will look much different. I am very proud of this team and although disappointed about yesterday, I am still excited about being 7-5, another bowl appearance and the prospects of many great games to come. I think some tend to forget how young this team is and with that, some growing pains occur. Especially on offense. Take a look at the 2 deep depth chart: DEFENSE: Freshman- 4, Sophomore- 7, Junior- 7, Senior-4 OFFENSE: Freshman- 5, Sophomore- 6, Junior- 9, Senior- 2. (half of the two deep are freshman and sophomores) With the playing experience the youth of this team is getting along with some strong recruiting classes, the table is set for many great games to come.
Your optimism is a good thing, but the "young team" excuse has been run for far too long. If true, the staff needed to get that poop figured out by now - and apparently (on offense) they are regressing all the way to the literal bottom. No excuse for that poop yesterday. The staff should be falling on the swords publicly and CB should have a fix/demotion in the works already (maybe he does). Think about a potential commitment that would've watched that ineptness yesterday - if you were them, would you be excited? I don't care if Allen got hurt, there should've a viable backup and alternative game plan waiting in the wings and we could still be 9-4 or 10-3 at the end of the season in this current iteration of a conference and with this defense that is playing at a very high level (particularly in conference play). What a fail by the (offensive & head) staff!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 am One last thing..... The basketball team without their best player this year isn't going to lose to the worst basketball team in the country. In fact the basketball team would still beat a lot of top 100 schools without JJ playing. Football on the other hand... Well you saw yesterday what happens.
I was huge bb fan back in the 80's and even with McClains teams in the early 2000's. I don't know if it's me or the game but I don't get as excited about bb as I used to. Too many tv timeouts, too many games determined by inconsistent officiating, and a lack of continuity of play due to timeouts, free throws, and even replay reviews. Plus, as we are starting to see with the Pitino firing, the true cost of bb may be a lot higher than we know.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

We aren't any younger than the average team. I thought that was the point in playing all the freshmen four years ago. I believe Fresno state is one of the youngest teams. Youth isn't an excuse anymore.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:54 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 am One last thing..... The basketball team without their best player this year isn't going to lose to the worst basketball team in the country. In fact the basketball team would still beat a lot of top 100 schools without JJ playing. Football on the other hand... Well you saw yesterday what happens.
I was huge bb fan back in the 80's and even with McClains teams in the early 2000's. I don't know if it's me or the game but I don't get as excited about bb as I used to. Too many tv timeouts, too many games determined by inconsistent officiating, and a lack of continuity of play due to timeouts, free throws, and even replay reviews. Plus, as we are starting to see with the Pitino firing, the true cost of bb may be a lot higher than we know.
Understand. I love football and basketball both but I am more of a basketball guy. I do think though Wyoming has a lot better chance of competing with the big boys in basketball than they ever will football. You can already see that by the fact you have the P5 and the G5 in football but not in Bball. Everybody gets a chance with the NCAA tournament and you see numerous small schools compete.

Football they give one team a spot in a New Years day game now against what is usually the worst of the best team left that isn't in the other big bowl games that day or the playoff.

Everyone will have a different opinion on it but I would much rather see a top 25 basketball team year in and year out that can have a chance at the end of the year to compete with the big boys than a football team that gets put in a mediocre bowl game most times at best.

If this was 1987-88 the last time Wyoming went to back to back bowl games, last years Wyoming football team and this years Wyoming football team wouldn't have went to a Bowl game either year.Their record wasn't good enough. So how good is our football program really even in what we consider a good year for football at Wyoming.... Just my thought... not that they are worth much more than :twocents: :lol:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 am We aren't any younger than the average team. I thought that was the point in playing all the freshmen four years ago. I believe Fresno state is one of the youngest teams. Youth isn't an excuse anymore.
SJSU is one of the youngest. 48 freshman, at least 23 played this year. Only 12 seniors. As if 2 weeks ago there were at least 16 season ending injuries. I believe it's the youngest staff in the nation too.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

IMO, ridiculous to consider getting rid of Bohl, however something on the offense needs to be considered, Vigen needs to be evaluated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Spartanmike15 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 am
marcuswyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 am We aren't any younger than the average team. I thought that was the point in playing all the freshmen four years ago. I believe Fresno state is one of the youngest teams. Youth isn't an excuse anymore.
SJSU is one of the youngest. 48 freshman, at least 23 played this year. Only 12 seniors. As if 2 weeks ago there were at least 16 season ending injuries. I believe it's the youngest staff in the nation too.
+100 I'm sick of hearing "we are young, give us a few years." Every team in the conference has injury and youth issues. It's part of the game. To think that Bohl and company had ZERO quarterback options other than Smith is unforgiveable. Nothing against Smith as a person, but he has no business on that field. He hasn't improved a bit. I don't think we need a coaching change, it won't accomplish a thing (a new OC and a new strength coach would be nice but I don't see that happening). I do think all of the coaches, the AD, and any other swinging dick with an interest in this team needs to have a come to Jesus meeting and face reality. I keep hearing people say SJSU sucks, they are dragging down the conference....well, they kicked our asses so maybe we should be looking in the mirror at some hard truths before we start slinging bull poop about teams like SJSU. I loved our defense and special teams this year. Our offense was offensive with and without Allen. Something has to change. Either start recruiting JC players, or try a new philosophy, or play the players that are actually productive, but this pounding square pegs in round holes has got to stop. :twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

cfootball16 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am There is no doubt yesterday's game was a hard one to swallow for everyone and I'm absolutely sure that includes every player and coach on the team. That being said, I have no doubt this team will use it as motivation to make every effort to not have it happen again. From what I have seen, this team is made up of a bunch of fighters and I expect the next time they step on the field things will look much different. I am very proud of this team and although disappointed about yesterday, I am still excited about being 7-5, another bowl appearance and the prospects of many great games to come. I think some tend to forget how young this team is and with that, some growing pains occur. Especially on offense. Take a look at the 2 deep depth chart: DEFENSE: Freshman- 4, Sophomore- 7, Junior- 7, Senior-4 OFFENSE: Freshman- 5, Sophomore- 6, Junior- 9, Senior- 2. (half of the two deep are freshman and sophomores) With the playing experience the youth of this team is getting along with some strong recruiting classes, the table is set for many great games to come.
Your being excited about 7-5 is part of the problem. And we supposedly have had strong offensive recruiting classes the past couple of years and that was the poop you saw yesterday.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

How do you know that your back up quarterback is any good if he doesn't play and how many back ups win? Losing your QB is a big deal and probably the worst position to replace and have a quality back up. Smith should be better than he is but Allen and Smith are worlds apart talent wise. We would be 9-3 if Allen was healthy and we just had some bad luck. People act like we should have been better on offense this year. I'm not sure why. We lost a lot and we're not Alabama who can reload.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

Iowa State did pretty well with a backup QB. The point is there is nothing that can excuse losing to the worst team in college football.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Poke-proud wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:06 pm IMO, ridiculous to consider getting rid of Bohl, however something on the offense needs to be considered, Vigen needs to be evaluated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree with this.

I feel if we keep this staff, this is where we'll be most years, not challenging for the conference and sneaking into bowl games. Better than the past couple decades, but still nothing special. I think Bohl is solid enough, and truthfully, who could we get that would be better? Although he may need to surround himself with new thinkers.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

What part of 6-20 without Josh Allen are you guys not understanding.??
Josh Allen saved Coach Bohl his job and most people outside Wyoming understand this.
2-10 the season before Josh arrived and Josh outplayed Cam in the Spring game but bohl went with the Senior. Josh got hurt anyway but things might have been different if he came out the Starter.
Bohl had no WR coach for over a year- Look at the results
He also has had no apparent Strength Coach since Dennison left(??)
Kenni Burns left and is at Minnesota - Duvall left and is at Undefeated UCF .
Old School does not work anymore- He left the Alabama of FCS at SD State where Vigen could call anyplay and they were just better athletes than the opponent. The Mountain West is poop these past two years
(how else can Fresno go 1-10 to Champs in one year )
I hear you as to who will coach the team but atleast you know what you have and if you have zero expectations Keep Bohl. He will have Ringolsby Sucking his A** and a lot of old timers who love his Wyoming Tough attitude. I want to win Without Josh Allen.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 pm What part of 6-20 without Josh Allen are you guys not understanding.??
Josh Allen saved Coach Bohl his job and most people outside Wyoming understand this.
2-10 the season before Josh arrived and Josh outplayed Cam in the Spring game but bohl went with the Senior. Josh got hurt anyway but things might have been different if he came out the Starter.
Bohl had no WR coach for over a year- Look at the results
He also has had no apparent Strength Coach since Dennison left(??)
Kenni Burns left and is at Minnesota - Duvall left and is at Undefeated UCF .
Old School does not work anymore- He left the Alabama of FCS at SD State where Vigen could call anyplay and they were just better athletes than the opponent. The Mountain West is poop these past two years
(how else can Fresno go 1-10 to Champs in one year )
I hear you as to who will coach the team but atleast you know what you have and if you have zero expectations Keep Bohl. He will have Ringolsby Sucking his A** and a lot of old timers who love his Wyoming Tough attitude. I want to win Without Josh Allen.
They could bring in any coach and they would have trouble winning consistently at Wyoming so it doesn't matter who the coach is honestly.

You guys can all say well without Allen Bohl is 6-20 but you could go down the list of teams across the country and say well if so and so didn't play for this team the coaches record would be 6-20 or 4-24 or whatever bad number you want to come up with. The whole premise is wrong really. I understand without Allen most likely the record is worse but you can say that about any team. The fact is this staff got Allen to come here so not sure how you can discount his games he played. Allen got bailed out last year himself by Gentry and Hill so I wouldn't really just be giving credit to Allen.

With that said something with the offense needs to change so I understand what you are saying but I don't think it will really matter as far as long term sustained success goes. Wyoming in football i'm afraid is going to have a winning season or two every few years and a couple of .500 years and some losing records. Just the way it is no matter who the coach is. Many have tried, none have succeeded.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Bohl got us to MWC championship and fixed the D. He'll address the O.

We need a little more help on the recruiting side of things and the offense needs an overhaul. At one point before Burman hired DC, Burman said we can't recruit to run people over. Maybe Burman is right. Bohl will make some adjustments and I think we'll see improvement.

The D made a fantastic turnaround. It can be done on O. The kids fight hard, d improved, special teams improved, etc. The offense gets fixed and the program is solid. Give him the benefit of the doubt and let's see how he works to fix it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 pm The D made a fantastic turnaround. It can be done on O.
Well didn't the D get a new coach, Hazelton? Could that have had something to do with it? Can it be done with the O? How about implementing the same tactic that improved the D. First get rid of the O-line coach S. Fuchs (rhymes with sucks and f-word). Then give Vigen an enema and mail him in a shoe box back to where he came from.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I can tell a cardiologist symptoms of heart disease. I can know that something needs fixed. However, I sure as hell am not telling him/her how to do open heart surgery.

Bohl proved he knows how to identify problems and fix them. Maybe fire Vigen. Maybe give Vigen more responsibility in other spots and bring in oc. Maybe clinics and adjustments on o. That's up to Bohl. I'll join the criticism if he doesn't fix it but he deserves time to fix it his way.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

In my humble not coaching opinion......we will never be Alabama.

Negatives:

1. Small state and not a fertile recruiting area
2. Low population of state fans
3. Difficult/dangerous/long travel to stadium
4. Small town

Answers:

1. Locate players who were overlooked or prefer playing for 4 years (more film for NFL scouts). Run system that matches the type of players you can recruit. Take a few chances on guys, JC, etc. Create an atmosphere recruits can "feel" and desire to have.

2. TV TV TV Do whatever we need to do to have TV games...we already won't get primetime slots so lets play Tuesdays or whatever and get in the living rooms of HS kids and parents. Create some sort of streaming program, etc, etc. Put our mascot and logo everywhere. Get out there and do fundraisers for children, etc etc and get our name out there doing whatever it takes.

3. Goes back to TV/Stream. What would the possibility be of having chartered trips from further locations? Discount tickets when roads are closed/etc.

4. Sell the fact that we are in a small mtn town but close to Denver but far enough for guys not from large metro pop to feel comfortable or for guys to remain focused and out of trouble(parents :). Create team atmosphere. Have team sponsored outings that are fun and engage with community and other students (back to #2)

The people of Wyoming can be some of the nicest and most down to earth folks in the country! They are also passionate fans.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS......cash, prepaid debit cards, and hot coeds.....JK kinda
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I can't figure out how answers 2, 3, 4 make better football players. And 2 and 3 didn't exist many years ago when Wyoming had great teams.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

2, 3, 4 Could get and retain better (talent) players. Obviously development is key but it isnt as if other programs dont develop players.

2, 3 didn't exist when WYO had great teams.....exactly as the landscape has changed

This was my response to the "that is just the way it is now" statements that 7 win seasons are our ceiling