SOME OF YOU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 pm
Wyoklaelk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:50 pmCant change 127th....thats the situation, and it needs addressed imo
Has the offense suddenly changed from the scheme that was 48th in the country last year? If not, the scheme isn't the problem. The coach isn't the problem.
I assume this means you are blaming the players. Who is supposed to be coaching the players and teaching them how to be better? Who is supposed to be setting a game plan to make them successful and get the most out of them?

I don't believe for a second that our offensive talent is so low that the other ~125 teams in the nation have more talent on offense than we do, and if that is truly the case (which I don't believe), who was responsible for recruiting those players the last 4 years?

How is it the defensive players who looked like they couldn't tackle last year, couldn't defend the option last year, couldn't cover a receiver without being 10 yards off the line of scrimmage last year, all the sudden this year can do all those things. My answer...they got a coach that taught them and set a game plan to make them successful and get the most out of them. We need an offensive coach that can do the same, and not just say that our offensive talent (with a first round draft pick) is somehow less talented than nearly every other team in the entire country.
This times 1000%. Lets say it is a talent issue, thats still a coaching issue...
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Do tell me where fists or physical violence was mentioned. It wasn't. If you're going to say someone is the most embarrassing post and not actually back it up with why, then you shouldn't post emotional comments. I was told he watched so much more football than me so I'd like to hear it from him in person, if he is indeed a fellow season ticket holder. No violence. No take it outside. Conversation about the state of affairs of the football program was all that was mentioned. Because unlike the internet, if you freaked out about a loss this bad around other fans in public...like a basketball game...you would be borderline shamed.

I'm actually glad I started this thread to identify who can and cannot take an L without crying.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Pretty much all of our offensive players had multiple D-1 offers. It's not a talent issue. It's a coaching issue
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 am Pretty much all of our offensive players had multiple D-1 offers. It's not a talent issue. It's a coaching issue
Let's assume you're correct. But from what I've read, Bohl is never going fire BV. They go way back together. So unless Bohl changes his offensive philosophy, this is what we are going to have.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

From 2017's class, Scott was a 3 star, Velazquez was a 3 star
From 2016's class, Okwoli was a 3 star, Webb was a 3 star
From 2015's class, CJ Johnson was a 3 star, Allen was a 3 star, Overstreet was a 3 star

On top of that, Conway was a solid recruit as well and offered by both CU and Nebraska. He obviously went the basketball route and then ended up on our football team, but still... talent was still there too. Stars aren't everything and we have to be successful by finding diamonds in the rough, but I do think we have been doing that on top of getting more and more mid-level "acknowledged" talent.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 am Pretty much all of our offensive players had multiple D-1 offers. It's not a talent issue. It's a coaching issue
Let's assume you're correct. But from what I've read, Bohl is never going fire BV. They go way back together. So unless Bohl changes his offensive philosophy, this is what we are going to have.

It doesn't have to be a change in offensive philosophy. It is doing things like not calling Smith on a QB power up the middle on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 5 for 6th time in a game when the play has netted 0 yards the whole game.

It is utilizing a slant when needed. It is not calling a run play up the middle on every first down through the first 7 games of the year (glad this has finally changed in the last couple games, we actually sometimes get a pass play on first down).

The overall offensive philosophy doesn't have to change. It is about calling plays within that philosophy that maximize the personnel you have, exploiting the weaknesses in a given defense, and mixing it up to keep defense's honest and guessing.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Some of us are a little thin skinned (especially after a loss), but we are all Wyoming Cowboy & Cowgirl fans - we all want to win.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYCowboy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am Some of us are a little thin skinned (especially after a loss), but we are all Wyoming Cowboy & Cowgirl fans - we all want to win.
True but....

29 years since our LAST Conference championship and counting....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyomingAg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 am
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 am

It doesn't have to be a change in offensive philosophy. It is doing things like not calling Smith on a QB power up the middle on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 5 for 6th time in a game when the play has netted 0 yards the whole game.

It is utilizing a slant when needed. It is not calling a run play up the middle on every first down through the first 7 games of the year (glad this has finally changed in the last couple games, we actually sometimes get a pass play on first down).

The overall offensive philosophy doesn't have to change. It is about calling plays within that philosophy that maximize the personnel you have, exploiting the weaknesses in a given defense, and mixing it up to keep defense's honest and guessing.
They did the same thing last year too and it was mindbogglingly frustrating. Every first down on our side of the 50 was an ISO left or ISO right. Every team knew what that play was going to be. predictability is killer. The only thing I can think is that Vigin wants them game planning for that so he can switch it up late in the game?
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 am
WYCowboy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am Some of us are a little thin skinned (especially after a loss), but we are all Wyoming Cowboy & Cowgirl fans - we all want to win.
True but....

You shouldn't be a Moderator.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

You damn right there's emotion in this, been a true Pokes fan since I started loving Sports in High School, and then when I went there 88-93 under some of the best football this University has ever seen under Roach/Tiller, when it was a Top 20 and we were there religiously year in and year for the most part. I am NO different that any other sports fan and I want my team to win every game no matter what, what drives me crazy is when the coaches say "we practiced hard this week" etc...and I don't see those results on the field for gameday, what happened between practice and game day, that's always the mystery here. I am looking for improvement week in and week out, but this past week 11 was truly embarrassing to let a "good" California team come up to 7220 and beat us in NOV, no excuses, players or not. Yes I'm an occasional season ticket holder but not all the time but my passion will always be there and I'm always going to tell it like I see it/ sure i'll listen but all I ask is for people to listen to me too, it's not always about stats etc, it's the eye test for some of us as well, I just watch football for the emotional highs and lows and boy is it fun when were winning moreso than not!!!! But I'm never gonna fight anybody over it cuz that's taking to an extreme and there's a difference in being a fan and fanatic
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I also agree that this complaining is beyond stupid. After almost 20 years of generally having a terrible team, we now have a team that is near the top of the conference in back-back years and we have all of these ridiculous fire coaches threads.

The coaches were in a really tough spot to try and figure out how to beat Fresno State with Nick Smith leading the charge at QB. For the most part, the gameplan worked and we likely could have won that game if not for the muffed punt.

The reality is that Allen is simply a major part of this team and Smith (although he is a competitor) has nowhere near the skill set.

I for one hope that we can maintain continuity with this coaching staff because this team is looking like it could be pretty darn good next year (assuming we have Granderson, Wingard and Wilson leading the defense).
Last edited by OrediggerPoke on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

I'm gonna bitch about people bitching! Oh, the irony......
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am I'm gonna bitch about people bitching! Oh, the irony......
Yes the irony. But if no one speaks up perhaps the coaching staff feels unwanted and says to hell with this. There were many that thought we could do better than Joe Tiller...when he left, well we all know what the next 15 years brought.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Again, I trust that Bohl will fix this and I'm sure he isn't making excuses.

I will say one thing that baffles me is 4 years ago was the worst team in WYO history because we were playing youth everywhere and that was supposed to pay dividends this year. Even in the worst year, the offense was still better than this year. Without looking, I would bet that we played just as much youth or more 4 years ago and had an offense ranked 30 spots higher. The competition isn't better. That fact does baffle me and indicates, to me, that there might be some other issues Bohl needs to address besides birthdays or players.

Still, nice to be back in a bowl and I have no doubt the offense will get fixed. One side (fire Vigen vs. More birthdays) will get to say I told you so and we all win!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am I'm gonna bitch about people bitching! Oh, the irony......
Yes the irony. But if no one speaks up perhaps the coaching staff feels unwanted and says to hell with this. There were many that thought we could do better than Joe Tiller...when he left, well we all know what the next 15 years brought.
I want Bohl to stay here. We all want Bohl to stay. He's got the vision and can sell the program. He needs someone that won't call a run up the middle mixed in with QB keepers endlessly.

We want changes on offense and perhaps a new OC. No one is calling for Bohl's head. However, if Bohl isn't careful this is going to turn into Glenn 2.0
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I do not understand the Glenn 2.0 talk...outside of running a pro-style offense and relying on a stout (this year) defense there are not a lot of similarities. During Glenn's tenure, Wyoming was never in the mix for a conference championship...also never had 8 wins in a season. Bohl has changed the culture and strung (likely) two 8 win seasons back to back in years three and four.

My 2 cents....it's all about the o-line. Yes we lost talent at RB and WR but the O-line play this year has been mediocre at best. The second half of the BSU game had Allen running for his life...during some of the replays from different camera angles it was laughable how bad our blockers were getting beat. In my book that type of beating is partly attributable to a talented BSU D-line but I primarily lay it at the feet of the coaching staff to make adjustments and get guys coached up.

Losses this year:
At Iowa
Oregon (who only started losing after their starting QB went down)
At Boise St (Division Champ)
Fresno (Division Champ)

I hate losses as much as the next guy but these are defensible losses. How long has it been since we have gotten through a season without losing to some bottom dweller ... even in good years? I love a good post-loss self-loathing session but lets inject some reality into this discussion.

Side-note...this all hinges on smacking down San Jose St next week.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

To be fair, this team wouldn't have many wins in Joe Glenn's MWC. The comparison is Joe stuck with a bad oc too long. Bohl has not done that, yet.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 am Again, I trust that Bohl will fix this and I'm sure he isn't making excuses.

I will say one thing that baffles me is 4 years ago was the worst team in WYO history because we were playing youth everywhere and that was supposed to pay dividends this year. Even in the worst year, the offense was still better than this year. Without looking, I would bet that we played just as much youth or more 4 years ago and had an offense ranked 30 spots higher. The competition isn't better. That fact does baffle me and indicates, to me, that there might be some other issues Bohl needs to address besides birthdays or players.

Still, nice to be back in a bowl and I have no doubt the offense will get fixed. One side (fire Vigen vs. More birthdays) will get to say I told you so and we all win!
The offense 4 and even 3 years ago was horrendous. You can look at stats all you want. The fact is: we ran up a lot of yards after we were getting the poop kicked out of us and teams had in their 3d string defense. Three years ago, this team won 2 games and was losing nearly every game at half time by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Bohl's first year was similar. Now that we are competitive in every game, we don't get to produce those garbage time stats.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 am
True but....

Better find a new team. Have you heard about the Sooners and Baker Mayfield? Might be more your speed