We've got the players just not the coaches...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wicks wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 am According to the nutters there is only one solution...

or fire ..or demote.. ONE person. The offensive coordinator. And Bohl needs to fall out of love with his offensive strategy
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:58 pm or fire ..or demote.. ONE person. The offensive coordinator. And Bohl needs to fall out of love with his offensive strategy
I agree 1 million %.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

DVDA wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 am
DVDA wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am The coaches put as little on Smith as they could to protect him from making game changing mistakes.

The offensive line has been terrible this year and provided no push against most teams in the run game and has struggled mightily in pass protection. Roullier's ability to pull gave Vigen a lot of possibilities in the run game that simply aren't there this year.

The receivers are mediocre and the running backs have missed the few holes that have been there.

I hate the "play not to lose" style Vigen called, but it seemed to keep Smith from making mistakes that cost UW the game. I don't think Vigen is a very good offensive coordinator, but he's definitely working with bottom of the barrel D1 talent this year. The playing time these true freshman have been given on the offensive line shows the absolute failure of the staff's recruiting/development over the past few years.
Players are fine. Evidence is when we move the ball with ease every time we do a hurry up offense. That's the coaches putting us in position to NOT succeed.
Everyone moves the ball against prevent defenses. The defense gives up a lot underneath to avoid giving up the big play.
Don’t try to tell these clowns that’s. They just thought it was better playcalling [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

I have defended Vigen all year and I am not saying to fire him but the game plan yesterday was bad.

It wasn't just the last two drives that Smith threw the ball well. Before the final two drives Smith was 11-17 for 100 yards 9 yards per catch and 64% completion percentage. So the problem was Vigen didn't let him throw it more.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think most people understand that prevent gives up stuff underneath, but Fresno had 7 sitting in the box all game and we tried running both our backs and Smith right into it several times. They were stacking up against the run to force Smith to throw it, yet instead we stubbornly tried running straight into it for 3 1/2 quarters, or threw it short to where all the defenders already were anyway. They had 2 linebackers with 11 tackles each and nobody else with more than 5. That says a lot about where most of our plays went.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm
DVDA wrote:
DVDA wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am The coaches put as little on Smith as they could to protect him from making game changing mistakes.

The offensive line has been terrible this year and provided no push against most teams in the run game and has struggled mightily in pass protection. Roullier's ability to pull gave Vigen a lot of possibilities in the run game that simply aren't there this year.

The receivers are mediocre and the running backs have missed the few holes that have been there.

I hate the "play not to lose" style Vigen called, but it seemed to keep Smith from making mistakes that cost UW the game. I don't think Vigen is a very good offensive coordinator, but he's definitely working with bottom of the barrel D1 talent this year. The playing time these true freshman have been given on the offensive line shows the absolute failure of the staff's recruiting/development over the past few years.
Players are fine. Evidence is when we move the ball with ease every time we do a hurry up offense. That's the coaches putting us in position to NOT succeed.
Everyone moves the ball against prevent defenses. The defense gives up a lot underneath to avoid giving up the big play.
Don’t try to tell these clowns that’s. They just thought it was better playcalling [emoji23]

You've got to be kidding me. You usually have good football insights. Oh yeah Fresno was just playing a soft d. They wanted us to get a TD and to get to the 20 with a shot to win the damn game.

If you don't think that passing every down would have been better than the crap we saw you are blind and I don't know what to tell you.

All you have to do is look at the stats.. How many yards do we average per pass vs yards per run? Why we run it as much as we do is literally mind blowing. Indefensible. The play calling cannot be defended.

It's been like this for four years. He's not going to change. We need a new offense. Scrap the whole thing and start over
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I think most people understand that prevent gives up stuff underneath, but Fresno had 7 sitting in the box all game and we tried running both our backs and Smith right into it several times. They were stacking up against the run to force Smith to throw it, yet instead we stubbornly tried running straight into it for 3 1/2 quarters, or threw it short to where all the defenders already were anyway. They had 2 linebackers with 11 tackles each and nobody else with more than 5. That says a lot about where most of our plays went.
Apparently you haven’t read all the responses. Lol. Hey, I’m not saying we shouldn’t have tried airing it out more. In fact, I was calling for deep shots because they weren’t respecting it. However, when we did try throwing, it wasn’t like there was tons of people open. I remember bootlegs/PA where no one is open and others where only short stuff was open. I’m just not convinced that if we pass three times, it makes a difference. Listen, I was frustrated as anyone watching the game. I recall 2-3 times we gained 5 or 6 yards on 1st down run only to get no yards on a second down run. When I see 3 linebackers standing up at the line of scrimmage, I don’t know why we can’t show qb power but turn it into a quick slant. It has to be open if the linebackers are sucked up to the line.

W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I guess we're in agreement then... and if not a slant, just a lateral out to the back would've likely gained more than 0 as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 pm I think most people understand that prevent gives up stuff underneath, but Fresno had 7 sitting in the box all game and we tried running both our backs and Smith right into it several times. They were stacking up against the run to force Smith to throw it, yet instead we stubbornly tried running straight into it for 3 1/2 quarters, or threw it short to where all the defenders already were anyway. They had 2 linebackers with 11 tackles each and nobody else with more than 5. That says a lot about where most of our plays went.
You think 7 in the box is stacking the box?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm
DVDA wrote:

You've got to be kidding me. You usually have good football insights. Oh yeah Fresno was just playing a soft d. They wanted us to get a TD and to get to the 20 with a shot to win the damn game.

If you don't think that passing every down would have been better than the crap we saw you are blind and I don't know what to tell you.

All you have to do is look at the stats.. How many yards do we average per pass vs yards per run? Why we run it as much as we do is literally mind blowing. Indefensible. The play calling cannot be defended.

It's been like this for four years. He's not going to change. We need a new offense. Scrap the whole thing and start over
It's Bohls offense. "Scrapping the whole thing" means poop canning Bohl
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I gotta admit, I sort of like Andy Reid's West Coast O/spread/read option hybrid. I think teams are catching on, but I think a lot of his plays would work in college.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Maybe we should just run something like what Missouri did from 01-08. That would be a good change
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm Maybe we should just run something like what Missouri did from 01-08. That would be a good change
What's that guy doing these days? Maybe we should give him a call....

We wouldn't be winning games, but at least we'd have a "fun" offense to watch!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

wyokoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm
DVDA wrote:

It's Bohls offense. "Scrapping the whole thing" means poop canning Bohl
It's Vigen's offense and Bohl's philosophy. Getting rid of Vigen means more of the same unless Bohl hits another grand slam like he did with Hazelton.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 pm It's Bohls offense. "Scrapping the whole thing" means poop canning Bohl
Best post on this thread. For those who have a hard time understanding, this is the type of offense we're going to see with Bohl as our head coach. Nothing fancy, nothing with a bunch of throws, nothing with a bunch of trickery.....just straight ahead power football. And, even though it was a down year offensively....this won't be the case next year. More depth, more expericne...but Bohl will also make this a focus point like he did with the D (vs option QB's). And this doesn't require a change in OC's.

When the day comes when we have solid upperclassmen depth, the Pokes will be a dominant team in the league. Close now...but more so going forward.

Chin up and buck up Cowboy fans.

Go Pokes!!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:19 am
wyokoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 pm It's Bohls offense. "Scrapping the whole thing" means poop canning Bohl
Best post on this thread. For those who have a hard time understanding, this is the type of offense we're going to see with Bohl as our head coach. Nothing fancy, nothing with a bunch of throws, nothing with a bunch of trickery.....just straight ahead power football. And, even though it was a down year offensively....this won't be the case next year. More depth, more expericne...but Bohl will also make this a focus point like he did with the D (vs option QB's). And this doesn't require a change in OC's.

When the day comes when we have solid upperclassmen depth, the Pokes will be a dominant team in the league. Close now...but more so going forward.

Go Pokes!!
Not saying you're wrong, cause you're not. But isn't it crazy to think that our 1st round QB got knocked out of the season (potentially) on a trick play when we were up 21-0 against Air Force and the Bohl offense was actually working as planned? Damn!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

HiCountryCowboy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 am
JimmyDimes wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:19 am

Go Pokes!!
Not saying you're wrong, cause you're not. But isn't it crazy to think that our 1st round QB got knocked out of the season (potentially) on a trick play when we were up 21-0 against Air Force and the Bohl offense was actually working as planned? Damn!
The irony! It's almost funny, but not really
SpringsPoke
Buckaroo

One thing that seems to be forgotten is that we had two bad turnovers and the 4th and 1 play where Smith went completely the wrong way. There were also a couple of option plays that Smith made the wrong decision on where it looked like they may have popped for 5-7 yards as opposed to -2 yards.

The muffed punt really hurt.

The fumble at the end of the half was probably the biggest killer. The offense was moving the football and it killed all the momentum going into the half. If we score there, then get the football to begin the half with momentum...

That fourth and 1, where for some reason Smith didn't just follow his blockers hurt as well. Allen gets the first down on that play 10 out of 10 times. Again, we were moving the football down the field.

That is three drives (granted the muffed punt was probably going to be a three and out) that had potential that we shot ourselves in the foot.

As has been posted a number of times, shout out to our defense again! It was a really impressive effort, given how long they were on the field.
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

Pokes have won this year on defense and turnovers. And offense taking advantage of what they got.
I personally put more of the offensive blame on Bohl than Vigen. Pokes did not have adequate receivers and running backs come in this year. No matter what the play calling is, you have to be able to execute the plays and many times Pokes could not. Offensive line breakdowns the entire year.
The biggest weakness for Wyoming is the terrible running game, which is entirely on Bohl. Bohl wants a team that plays good defense and runs the ball. Not being able to run the ball has crippled the offense. I have no idea how next years offense will go.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Maybe it's the difference in being a D1 coach vs FCS, yes it's been 4 years we all can remember how scary it was the 1st 2 only to hear, "wait til he gets his guys in there" WELLLLL, here they are and yes we lost quite a few to the NFL but it's time to show us what you have, oh wait game in and game out of the same vanilla playcalling etc...maybe FBS is a bit harder than you really expected than FCS. I like the results but when we're winning I want it more and more, I don't think that's being unrealistic. We'll be fine BUT I WANT A CONFERNCE CHAMPIONSSHIP here and sometime soon!!!!! Rant done, again