We've got the players just not the coaches...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

What a shame to waste that valiant performance from the defense! Dog puke game plan by the offensive coaches. Makes me sick. QB keeper up the middle> Are you joking me.

Our offensive players are good. They could be part of a prolific offense if they were put in positions to succeed. Smith is a good QB. O line is good. Receivers are adequate. Overstreet is a good back. Nico Evans is a great football player. Not sure why Woods plays over them? That's just one example of them not knowing their ass from their heads. Bad schemes. Bad coaching.

Hey, Vigen. Make your two minute offense your real offense and scrap that poop you call an offense. Run it right up the middle of your own ass. Your dumb playcalling and stupid as f "philosophy" of ball control or whatever cost us the game. One 10 yard pass is better than three 3 yard runs, you moron.

It would be better to let the players call their own plays. smdh.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

The coaches put as little on Smith as they could to protect him from making game changing mistakes.

The offensive line has been terrible this year and provided no push against most teams in the run game and has struggled mightily in pass protection. Roullier's ability to pull gave Vigen a lot of possibilities in the run game that simply aren't there this year.

The receivers are mediocre and the running backs have missed the few holes that have been there.

I hate the "play not to lose" style Vigen called, but it seemed to keep Smith from making mistakes that cost UW the game. I don't think Vigen is a very good offensive coordinator, but he's definitely working with bottom of the barrel D1 talent this year. The playing time these true freshman have been given on the offensive line shows the absolute failure of the staff's recruiting/development over the past few years.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am The coaches put as little on Smith as they could to protect him from making game changing mistakes.

The offensive line has been terrible this year and provided no push against most teams in the run game and has struggled mightily in pass protection. Roullier's ability to pull gave Vigen a lot of possibilities in the run game that simply aren't there this year.

The receivers are mediocre and the running backs have missed the few holes that have been there.

I hate the "play not to lose" style Vigen called, but it seemed to keep Smith from making mistakes that cost UW the game. I don't think Vigen is a very good offensive coordinator, but he's definitely working with bottom of the barrel D1 talent this year. The playing time these true freshman have been given on the offensive line shows the absolute failure of the staff's recruiting/development over the past few years.
Pretty good assessment. Smith is a marginal D1 qb. He reminds me of all the qb's we had during the end of the JG era and the first few years of the Bohl era. Not much of an arm and if his primary isn't open, he holds the ball till he's sacked. He wouldn't start on any other MWC team. The Oline has been a big disappointment but the receivers are the real problem. All of them can be covered quite easily by single coverage. The only real success we've had is to run a back down the field on the wheel route. I think it was JC in the rock that was ready for the Nick Smith era to begin. Well, here it comes. Enjoy!
cfootball16
Buckaroo

Stop already! Seriously! We are 7-4 and bowl eligible, and you're pissing and moaning. Give me a frickin break!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DVDA wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am The coaches put as little on Smith as they could to protect him from making game changing mistakes.

Players are fine. Evidence is when we move the ball with ease every time we do a hurry up offense. That's the coaches putting us in position to NOT succeed.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

cfootball16 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 am Stop already! Seriously! We are 7-4 and bowl eligible, and you're pissing and moaning. Give me a frickin break!
You're a retard. A good OC would have us a only one or two losses. Pathetic job this year
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

It's not pissing and moaning. We have the second worse offense in all of college football! Why in the world would we be happy with that? The combination of poor play calling and not getting top quality to come to Laramie has many concerned.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

phxpoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 am It's not pissing and moaning. We have the second worse offense in all of college football! Why in the world would we be happy with that? The combination of poor play calling and not getting top quality to come to Laramie has many concerned.
And if vigen stays, next year we lose Allen, we probably will be on the bottom 10 of offense again and vigen will get another pass with the excuse of "Well we lost Allen and you just can't call a good offensive game plan with the 11 starters we now have".
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The pissing and moaning is justified. We could have legit challenged for a mw title if the offfense wasn't ranked in the 120s, and that is shocking considering We have a first round draft pick at qb.

It is a good thing that we are bowl eligible again, but the offense needs to improve if the program wants to take it to the next level ( which is why Bohl was hired).
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

cfootball16 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 am Stop already! Seriously! We are 7-4 and bowl eligible, and you're pissing and moaning. Give me a frickin break!
7-4 in spite of a terrible offense. Unless you can count on the defense being top 30 and lead the nation in turnovers next year again we probably will have more losses next year unless the offense improves and it has to improve while losing Allen.

The defense was ranked in the bottom 30 last year and look what a change in coordinator did with many of the exact same players. These were the same players that last year people said "we just don't have the talent, they can't tackle, they can't cover, it's the players fault not the coaches".

This year the o is ranked far worse than the d was last year and is second to last in the nation and we hear on this board "oh it's the players, they can't run, they can't catch, they can't block". If thats the case who is coaching them how to run, catch and block? I believe that the offensive coordinator and his assistants jobs. So if players cant do it then the coaches are failing at their job.

I for one think we have players. At least good enough players to not be 2nd to last in the nation. In fact i bet we have good enough players to not be in the bottom 30 of the nation, we have a likely first round draft pick for one, do the other bottom 30 offensive teams have a first round pick? Sure would like to see what a new coordinator could do with the our players most of who return again next year.

Vigen also had all 4 of those nfl offensive players that we lost this year at his disposal in 2015. Sure glad he made the best use of them then on our 2 win season. Or was it all of them couldn't run, catch, and block the year before they went to the NFL as well just like all the players this year?
Last edited by WyomingAg on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cfootball16
Buckaroo

Lander, calling me a "retard". Come on. Just because I don't agree with you?

Keep in mind, Fresno came into the game ranking 17th in the country in rushing defense and 33 in passing defense. I don't think anyone thought it was going to be an offensive shootout.

To answer your question. Oh, I don't know...Maybe because we had 4 offensive players go to the NFL. Or, how about the fact that in the 2 deep roster we have 1 senior, 9 juniors, 6 sophomores and 5 freshman. Pretty young team. Would love to have a senior loaded team that has had the chance to mature and gain the physical strength to compete at the highest level and do the things you want. As the staff continues to build great recruiting classes, that time is coming. Coach Vigen is the same coach that was OC last year that took the team to the MW Championship. I played in this program many years ago and I'm darn proud to be a Cowboy from the inside! I saw coaches come and go and that inconsistent continuity did nothing to help the program. There is no question that coaches review tape and go back and see what they could have done better. I'm sure Vigen does the same and knows he makes some mistakes and tries to fix them based on the personnel he has. All I know is this team is 7-4, bowl eligible and has a shelf full of players that are going to keep us in the thick of the MW for many years to come.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

cfootball16 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 am Lander, calling me a "retard". Come on. Just because I don't agree with you?

Oh, I don't know...Maybe because we had 4 offensive players go to the NFL. Or, how about the fact that in the 2 deep roster we have 1 senior, 9 juniors, 6 sophomores and 5 freshman. Pretty young team. Would love to have a senior loaded team that has had the chance to mature and gain the physical strength to compete at the highest level and do the things you want. As the staff continues to build great recruiting classes, that time is coming. Coach Vigen is the same coach that was OC last year that took the team to the MW Championship. I played in this program many years ago and I'm darn proud to be a Cowboy from the inside! I saw coaches come and go and that inconsistent continuity did nothing to help the program. There is no question that coaches review tape and go back and see what they could have done better. I'm sure Vigen does the same and knows he makes some mistakes and tries to fix them based on the personnel he has. All I know is this team is 7-4, bowl eligible and has a shelf full of players that are going to keep us in the thick of the MW for many years to come.
I don't want to speak for Landerpoke, but I think he called you retard because you overlook how bad our offense has been this year. We had 8 3 and outs yesterday. We only had 3 drives that went beyond 50 yards, and 2 of those were the last 2 possessions of the game. Either Landerpoke is correct about the play calling or the talent is deficient, as myself and some others think. I personally think we get all these yards at the end of the half or as in the case yesterday, at the end of the game, because the defense softens up to contain big plays and keep the clock moving. Whatever the true cause is, Bohl has to take a hard look at the recruiting and offensive philosophy or next year could be even worse.
cfootball16
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 am
cfootball16 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 am Lander, calling me a "retard". Come on. Just because I don't agree with you?

Oh, I don't know...Maybe because we had 4 offensive players go to the NFL. Or, how about the fact that in the 2 deep roster we have 1 senior, 9 juniors, 6 sophomores and 5 freshman. Pretty young team. Would love to have a senior loaded team that has had the chance to mature and gain the physical strength to compete at the highest level and do the things you want. As the staff continues to build great recruiting classes, that time is coming. Coach Vigen is the same coach that was OC last year that took the team to the MW Championship. I played in this program many years ago and I'm darn proud to be a Cowboy from the inside! I saw coaches come and go and that inconsistent continuity did nothing to help the program. There is no question that coaches review tape and go back and see what they could have done better. I'm sure Vigen does the same and knows he makes some mistakes and tries to fix them based on the personnel he has. All I know is this team is 7-4, bowl eligible and has a shelf full of players that are going to keep us in the thick of the MW for many years to come.
I don't want to speak for Landerpoke, but I think he called you retard because you overlook how bad our offense has been this year. We had 8 3 and outs yesterday. We only had 3 drives that went beyond 50 yards, and 2 of those were the last 2 possessions of the game. Either Landerpoke is correct about the play calling or the talent is deficient, as myself and some others think. I personally think we get all these yards at the end of the half or as in the case yesterday, at the end of the game, because the defense softens up to contain big plays and keep the clock moving. Whatever the true cause is, Bohl has to take a hard look at the recruiting and offensive philosophy or next year could be even worse.
I think yesterday in particular, was a function of a very good defense, 17th rushing and 33rd passing nationally and a very young offensive team that is still trying to put the pieces together in order to gel better. You add in some bad turnovers, that's not a recipe for success. We all had hopes, and in reality, some over optimism that Josh could carry this team offensively. That is very hard to do when you are replacing the caliber of players we lost this year with younger players. I will say the defensive coaching change was a good move, but I will also say the defense now has an older two deep roster that gained experience from last year in testing times, but persevered through that to play much better this year. Added to that, the younger defense from last year had another year in the weight room and it showed. That being said, the experience this younger offense has had this year "on the field" and having some strong players coming up, makes me very optimistic for the future of this offense and team.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

According to the nutters there is only one solution...

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Honestly, our fanbase is getting so frustrated at not winning a conference title in 29 years and counting that if nothing happens soon with Bohl I'm afraid our fanbase is going to explode like Vesuvius in 79 AD.

Sorry I'm a historian so....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Honestly, our fanbase is getting so frustrated at not winning a conference title in 29 years and counting that if nothing happens soon with Bohl I'm afraid our fanbase is going to explode like Vesuvius in 79 AD.
This! I get that a probable 8 win year is nothing to look down on, but the window was open this year for a conference title. I mean last year we come close with a great offense and poop defense, this year we have a great defense and poop offense, will next year balance out? I figured this year would be the year considering defensive improvement and an all world talent at qb. One of these years needs to be conference title or bust.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:16 am
This! I get that a probable 8 win year is nothing to look down on, but the window was open this year for a conference title. I mean last year we come close with a great offense and poop defense, this year we have a great defense and poop offense, will next year balance out? I figured this year would be the year considering defensive improvement and an all world talent at qb. One of these years needs to be conference title or bust.
I agree. The frustration of not getting a conference championship is getting worse!!!!!

29 years and counting, boys.......
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Actually 4 years in, the rebuild is looking good.

Offense is a major concern against perhaps the weakest the MWC has ever been, but still managed to likely get to 8 wins.

It will be an interesting off-season, but still happy with the progress thus far.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 am

Players are fine. Evidence is when we move the ball with ease every time we do a hurry up offense. That's the coaches putting us in position to NOT succeed.
Everyone moves the ball against prevent defenses. The defense gives up a lot underneath to avoid giving up the big play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Keep in mind, Fresno came into the game ranking 17th in the country in rushing defense and 33 in passing defense. I don't think anyone thought it was going to be an offensive shootout.

To answer your question. Oh, I don't know...Maybe because we had 4 offensive players go to the NFL. Or, how about the fact that in the 2 deep roster we have 1 senior, 9 juniors, 6 sophomores and 5 freshman. Pretty young team. Would love to have a senior loaded team that has had the chance to mature and gain the physical strength to compete at the highest level and do the things you want. As the staff continues to build great recruiting classes, that time is coming. Coach Vigen is the same coach that was OC last year that took the team to the MW Championship. I played in this program many years ago and I'm darn proud to be a Cowboy from the inside! I saw coaches come and go and that inconsistent continuity did nothing to help the program. There is no question that coaches review tape and go back and see what they could have done better. I'm sure Vigen does the same and knows he makes some mistakes and tries to fix them based on the personnel he has. All I know is this team is 7-4, bowl eligible and has a shelf full of players that are going to keep us in the thick of the MW for many years to come.
OK. that was a bit harsh. I apologize.