Nick smith...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

has come along way. He played better than I expected. I don't know if he or the freshman will start next year, but I think the pokes will be alright.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Im fully on the Nick Smith bandwagon.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Yeah, I think he'll be fine as long as he's allowed to throw the ball down the field occasionally. He may not have Allen's arm, but his accuracy was perfectly fine, and he didn't get caught staring down the receivers either.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

He's fine. He will be fine if the coaches let him
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

He doesn't have the mobility that Allen has, but as a pocket passer, if allowed to throw down field? Should be okay.

So long as we stop with the QB power into 7 defenders and 5 yard throws when we need 10.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Seams like Smith got way better protection that Allen has been experiencing lately. Was a change made or is this just my imagination?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Seams like Smith got way better protection that Allen has been experiencing lately. Was a change made or is this just my imagination?
I noticed this too but I think it has more to do with Smith actually having better pocket presence than Josh. Josh would bail on a lot of pockets that nick stayed in and let his line push the D around him. Josh’s early bail gives the illusion of pressure and makes the line look bad at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:20 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote:Seams like Smith got way better protection that Allen has been experiencing lately. Was a change made or is this just my imagination?
I noticed this too but I think it has more to do with Smith actually having better pocket presence than Josh. Josh would bail on a lot of pockets that nick stayed in and let his line push the D around him. Josh’s early bail gives the illusion of pressure and makes the line look bad at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
Smith actually looked a little more accurate than Allen also when he sat back there with time to throw.
Where Allen is better is if the pocket does break down Allen is strong enough to break tackles and can make plays with his feet and arm on the run. And of course he can throw it 80 yards but when Smith had time he was putting the ball on the money.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The five yard pass plays were frustrating on third downs. He was a better runner as a freshmen but he is light years ahead in the throwing game from two years ago.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm He's fine. He will be fine if the coaches let him
Not sure what you saw. I saw a guy who held the ball way too long and was afraid to run when he rolled out. I doubt the coaches told him to take a sack at the end of the game. Some guys just don't have good instincts and he's one of them.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm He's fine. He will be fine if the coaches let him
Not sure what you saw. I saw a guy who held the ball way too long and was afraid to run when he rolled out. I doubt the coaches told him to take a sack at the end of the game. Some guys just don't have good instincts and he's one of them.
Totally disagree with you. If you think we lost because of Smith then not sure what to say. When Smith was able to throw the ball down field he was great. The problem was Vigen held him back too much and didn't put him in a position to win.

I agree he should have just heaved the ball to the end zone on the last play and that was a bad play but but other than that he was fine. The last play isn't why we lost. Vigen calling a play to run him up the middle on 3rd and 4 a couple times is not putting him or the team in a position to succeed. Just bad play calling. It is one thing to have Allen run the ball up the middle cause he is big and strong but trying to have Smith do it was just asisnine.

If Vigen lets the kid fling the ball around all game long Wyoming would have won.

20-32 231 yards 1 TD 0 int. 62% completion percentage. If he gets to throw the ball downfield the whole game he easily throws for over 300 yards.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

poke_addict
Cowpoke

Seattle I'm with you man. Absolutely no way you can put that loss on Smith in the slightest form. Besides the defense he was the biggest reason we had a chance to win it at the end.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We didn’t lose because of Smith, our offensive issues run much deeper than him, that being said I wasn’t as impressed with him as others. How many of his yards came once we were down 2 touchdowns? Failing to convert the QB sneak was a big play and on him. The center and guard did their job. Allen converts that 10/10. Not getting a throw into the end zone on the final play was inexcusable. Just have to get it off and give your team a chance. I wouldn’t say he has better pocket presence than Allen, he simply stands there longer because he is unsure of where to go. Moreover he just doesn’t exude a lot of confidence out there to me. Does anyone remember 2015? We saw a 2015 offense out there with a worse running game.

We didn’t lose totally because of him, but he played a part. Fundamentally we are in year 4 a power running team, that can’t run the football. That is the ultimate issue. Allen covered some of this up with his playmaking ability but today we saw a worse version with the Allen bandaid off.
roozy
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:48 pm Yeah, I think he'll be fine as long as he's allowed to throw the ball down the field occasionally. He may not have Allen's arm, but his accuracy was perfectly fine, and he didn't get caught staring down the receivers either.
I have to agree..... had Smith been given the proper play calling, this would have been a victory.
Jesus First, then football
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm We didn’t lose because of Smith, our offensive issues run much deeper than him, that being said I wasn’t as impressed with him as others. How many of his yards came once we were down 2 touchdowns? Failing to convert the QB sneak was a big play and on him. The center and guard did their job. Allen converts that 10/10. Not getting a throw into the end zone on the final play was inexcusable. Just have to get it off and give your team a chance. I wouldn’t say he has better pocket presence than Allen, he simply stands there longer because he is unsure of where to go. Moreover he just doesn’t exude a lot of confidence out there to me. Does anyone remember 2015? We saw a 2015 offense out there with a worse running game.

We didn’t lose totally because of him, but he played a part. Fundamentally we are in year 4 a power running team, that can’t run the football. That is the ultimate issue. Allen covered some of this up with his playmaking ability but today we saw a worse version with the Allen bandaid off.
Smith had thrown for a decent amount before the last two drives for the amount of opportunities he was given before that. Anytime he was given the chance to throw downfield he was fine.

The problem was calling 5 yard outs and qb runs up the middle.

If Conway doesn't muff the punt of Vanmannen doesn't fumble right after Smith completes a pass to him for 10 yards we win.

Not sure what else Smith could have done to win the game based on what Vigen called.

poke_addict
Cowpoke

calpoke25 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm We didn’t lose because of Smith, our offensive issues run much deeper than him, that being said I wasn’t as impressed with him as others. How many of his yards came once we were down 2 touchdowns? Failing to convert the QB sneak was a big play and on him. The center and guard did their job. Allen converts that 10/10. Not getting a throw into the end zone on the final play was inexcusable. Just have to get it off and give your team a chance. I wouldn’t say he has better pocket presence than Allen, he simply stands there longer because he is unsure of where to go. Moreover he just doesn’t exude a lot of confidence out there to me. Does anyone remember 2015? We saw a 2015 offense out there with a worse running game.

I absolutely agree about the run game. However I do think Smith is a better pocket passer than Josh. Nick actually goes through all his progressions. Josh has always been better throwing on the run.

The offensive production was actually better than half the games we played this year we just never got the privilege of a short field like the majority of the games we played.

When allowed to throw Smith was picking them apart.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I think we easily win with a healthy Josh. I also think that the coaches obviously don't believe in Nick. The offense was vanilla for his plays although I did like seeing some wildcat tries. I say let Nick win or lose the game but don't play the game fearing he might screw up. We should have won this game....we are a better team than Fresno State and I feel like Nick was not given a chance to win it. Props to our defense....too bad our OC stinks and screwed your great effort.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Smith had thrown for a decent amount before the last two drives for the amount of opportunities he was given before that. Anytime he was given the chance to throw downfield he was fine.

The problem was calling 5 yard outs and qb runs up the middle.

If Conway doesn't muff the punt of Vanmannen doesn't fumble right after Smith completes a pass to him for 10 yards we win.

Not sure what else Smith could have done to win the game based on what Vigen called.
We will have to agree to disagree. He had decent stats at the end of the day, but how many mediocre QBs (the Jay Cutlers, Nick Foles, Trevor Simiens of the world) put up decent stats but when you watch the actual game you just see them make back breaking plays at the wrong time in the game and unable to lead a team to victory. I have no personal issue with Nick Smith, just my observation.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It does seem our game plan was to win 6-3.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm It does seem our game plan was to win 6-3.
That would've been okay hadn't the game plan stayed that way even after we went down 13-0