Fresno State Game Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Why throw it when you can just walk forward at a gingerly pace then fall down.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Honestly, our offense has been just as sucky all year. The difference was that Fresno came up with the turnover on the short field when we had been getting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Smith makes really dumb decisions
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wasn't Smith fault we lost. Dumb muffed punt. Dumb play calls trying to run him up the middle. Should have let Smith sling it farther down field the whole game.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

That’s a tough loss but hats off to the defense they just had one less big mistake then we did.

We could have won that game without either the muffed punt or the fumble in the red zone but those were backbreaking

Last edited by pokefanchaz7 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Smith looks like a true freshman.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm Wasn't Smith fault we lost. Dumb muffed punt. Dumb play calls trying to run him up the middle. Should have let Smith sling it farther down field the whole game.
Couldn't agree more NO WAY you can put fault on Smith. If the coaches let him open it up earlier in the game it would have been the best QB performance we've seen all year.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

J-Bone wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:14 pm Smith looks like a true freshman.
You sir are an idiot
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

We ended it with a Smith run for 0 yards. The same result we had all game on the qb runs. Why oh why cant you let the ball fly and at least see what happens?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

poke_addict wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:16 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm Wasn't Smith fault we lost. Dumb muffed punt. Dumb play calls trying to run him up the middle. Should have let Smith sling it farther down field the whole game.
Couldn't agree more NO WAY you can put fault on Smith. If the coaches let him open it up earlier in the game it would have been the best QB performance we've seen all year.
Probably. And if Vigen would institute the quick slants every so often, we would have a better chance when passing when the QB is being blitzed heavily.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

poke_addict wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:16 pm
Double agree. This one is on the coaches (namely Vigen) for calling a conservative-ass game for 3 1/2 quarters. Once Smith was allowed to get into a groove, you could see how he delivered the ball.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Bohl needs to can Vigen ASAP.

Vigen couldn't run an offense to save his frinking life!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm Honestly, our offense has been just as sucky all year. The difference was that Fresno came up with the turnover on the short field when we had been getting that.

True about the turnovers and short fields, but nobody can convince me that we would not have won had Josh played. Everything else equal Josh sustains drives with his legs on power runs where Smith got stuffed. We get 3-4 first downs and get at the least a couple field goals that way

Really though, playcalling for 3 3/4 quarters were the backbreaker. We win with Smith if we run routes to the 1st down line or actually try to throw down field.
Last edited by 'PokeForLife on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

poke_addict wrote:
Agreed [emoji817]

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I was sort of liking the sound of 9-3. Now we might be lucky to get to 8-4

W-Y, Until I Die!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:19 pm Bohl needs to can Vigen ASAP.

Vigen couldn't run an offense to save his frinking life!!!!
Agreed. Most disappointing play calling I've seen all season and that is a season where the offense is in the bottom 10 of the nation, so it is not like the other games have been good either.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Smith's throws were pretty good and accurate. I don't think it ever really felt like he was going to get picked off unless he got hit or a ball got tipped. He even got the defense to bite on a short throw/pitch, before making a longer completion to a wide open receiver instead.

I refuse to believe that he couldn't have thrown it earlier in the game, considering how they frequently sat with 7 players in the box.
Last edited by Asmodeanreborn on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm Honestly, our offense has been just as sucky all year. The difference was that Fresno came up with the turnover on the short field when we had been getting that.

True about the turnovers and short fields, but nobody can convince me that we would not have won had Josh played. Everything else equal Josh sustains drives with his legs on power runs where Smith got stuffed. We get 3-4 first downs and get at the least a couple field goals that way

Really though, playcalling for 3 3/4 quarters were the backbreaker. We win with Smith if we run routes to the 1st down line or actually try to throw down field.
Agreed. Vigen made no in game adjustments till 5 minutes left. Way too late
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 pm I was sort of liking the sound of 9-3. Now we might be lucky to get to 8-4
We'll be lucky to end up 8-4!!!!

What ROYALLY pisses me off is that had our OC had been good at playcalling we would've been 11-1, getting ready to host a second straight MW Title game, and end up in the Fiesta Bowl!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

VIGEN needs to be fired!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Two take aways from that:

1. Smith looked ok when given the chances to throw. Moved the ball well when the leash was removed
2. Supremely disappointed in the play calling today. Vigen played right into Fresnos strategy by neutering Smith. Didn't attempt a vertical throw until the last 3 minutes of the game and over half of our 3 and shorts he called that poop QB run up the middle. He did nothing to put pressure on Fresno and a lot to put it on the Pokes. We knew they would stack the box and focus on the runs and short throws, which they did, and that's all we called for 3 quarters! That was as a vanilla and gutless game plan as I have seen from Vigen and he is known for being vanilla and gutless.

Overall very disappointed in that game. That was a game we could have won. Even without Josh England we're the better team