Opening line

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

We win if Josh plays and I think we'll have a tough time if not. Smith almost had what, 5 fumbles last week? I've never been so nervous
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

it was a shock to be at the game and then looking down and hearing on the PA, now at QB #15, Nick Smith, whaaaaaaaaaaat, lol
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 am We win if Josh plays and I think we'll have a tough time if not. Smith almost had what, 5 fumbles last week? I've never been so nervous
I agree. Fresno is too good of a team with too good of a defense for us to beat with Smith at QB IMO. Fresno is going to come after Smith and he doesn’t have the quick release to save himself. A couple of turnovers by us and the game could get ugly.

I really like our chances if Allen is able to play the majority of the game.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am Fresno is going to come after Smith and he doesn’t have the quick release to save himself.
I'm thinking Smith's mobility will be the problem against Fresno's defense.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am Fresno is going to come after Smith and he doesn’t have the quick release to save himself.
I'm thinking Smith's mobility will be the problem against Fresno's defense.
What could save us with Smith is that our backs are decent receivers, meaning hopefully he will have quick dump-off options. I don't think Smith will necessarily have to have a lot of time to sit in the pocket, unless Vigen's game plan includes just waiting for receivers to get open downfield after trying to run it up the middle on first and second down. Something which is entirely possible might indeed be Vigen's plan.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm
wyoair wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm If Josh doesn't play, Smith needs to be a Smith (Alex) as in he probably won't win you the game just don't lose it. If he does that, our defense will do its thing and I think we have just enough play makers on offense to win it.
I'm not worried about Smith at all. He had better numbers than Allen did in the spring game from a completion percentage standpoint.

Allen: 10-27 127 yards. 12 ypc. Long of 20

Smith: 8-11 89 yards. 11 ypc. Long of 40

Since he has been taking reps all week he will be ready. I know it was just a spring game but with him getting all the reps at practice and being with the rest of the first team offense he will be fine.

The one thing Smith does better than Allen is put better "finesse or touch" on his throws. Where as Allen has the stronger arm and fires rockets at the receivers. Think that is partially why his completion percentage is lower than it could be.

And just to clarify I am not saying Smith is a better overall qb than Allen. Just saying, that one aspect of throwing Smith is better. If Allen would realize he doesn't have to throw a fastball most of the time he would become unstoppable but he relies so much on his arm strength it sometimes backfires on him.

Just my opinion. I just think people are giving Smith too little credit because they haven't seen much of him since his freshman year other than him getting thrown to the wolves in a game without getting many reps with the first team in practice all week. Now that he is getting those reps he will suprise people.

But he may not even play if Josh is cleared.

Anyways whoever starts I am confident will play well and help the team.
Agreed. I think the game has slowed down for Smith. He’s much more confident and knows the offense and his limitatitations. He’s a different QB than the one who looked like he was scared out of his mind.
Mxpro32
Buckaroo

One big thing you guys have going for you is Fresno’s history with backup qbs, going back to when kaepernick stepped in and lit us up. Unlv s linebacker qb had a field day. For some reason we make backup qbs into Heisman contenders. I’d almost rather face Allen.