How to beat Fresno without Josh Allen? Conway to QB??

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Facing the very realistic possibility of trying to beat a good Fresno team without Josh Allen...I believe this is going to really require the coaching staff to think outside of the box.

I like Nick Smith's competitiveness but he simply does not have the tools IMO. We saw Smith for an extended time against Eastern Michigan a few years ago (it wasn't pretty). With his throwing motion, a lot of time in the pocket is required for him to complete a pass. To be effective, we need a great ground game. I don't believe we have that. Smith could be a sitting duck back there.

Answer...move Austin Conway to QB for the Fresno game. Yes, it is is unconventional and would be more of a 'wildcat'/option offense but I believe it would give us the best chance to move the ball and put up a few scores on offense. Conway played quarterback in high school and we saw last night that he can still throw a pretty ball. We already have some read-option and unbalanced line plays in the playbook and so I don't think it would be too tough to come up with an offense for Conway to run in a week's time. But what I have learned over the years is that if you give your playmakers a chance, they will find a way to get it done. With the ball in Conway's hands, I believe putting up 3-4 TDs on offense is very realistic. Our defense can definitely make stops and force turnovers but they can't win this game on their own.

Just my thoughts and what I would do if I were coach as crazy as it sounds.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

You can tell from a few throws a couple of years ago that a WR who has thrown one ball, is better than our back up QB? Damn, Nostradomus! What are the numbers to the next Power Ball?

ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I actually think Smith is mobile when running QB power. He averaged more than 4.5 a carry if you take out sacks for his career. If they think of moving anyone it should be Conway or Fort though, but no way that is gonna happen, especially if Allen is only out a game.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 pm You can tell from a few throws a couple of years ago that a WR who has thrown one ball, is better than our back up QB? Damn, Nostradomus! What are the numbers to the next Power Ball?
I've worried all year if we had to go to the backup. Like I said, I like Smith as a competitor but I don't think he is the starter next year. I believe we will be starting a redshirt freshman. I'm sure the coaching staff will go with Smith against Fresno as he has certainly paid his dues and has earned the right. If we go with Smith, I do think it will be more of a Sam Stratton offense anyways with no more than 10-12 passing attempts as the coaches will undoubtedly make adjustments.

I just like the ball in Conway's hands as he is one of the most explosive players we have ever had at Wyoming.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Kudos to Smith. He came in and got it done. I think it’s more about the coaches going way too conservative when he’s in. He’s thrown what, 3 passes this year and 2 have been beautiful. Last nights to woods and he had a beautiful play fake against GW I think. Obviously he probably can’t do what allen does but I’m sure they can get a comfortable game plan that doesn’t involve the play selection he had as a freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 pm You can tell from a few throws a couple of years ago that a WR who has thrown one ball, is better than our back up QB? Damn, Nostradomus! What are the numbers to the next Power Ball?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I thought you stopped drinking, Junky...

That's an awful idea.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

dapokes wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm I thought you stopped drinking, Junky...

That's an awful idea.
Not his idea but I don't drink much either.

Watch Conway's HS tape. It is impressive.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

break out Vanderwaal
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

run the k state offense with Smith
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Fresno knows Smith is going to start. They know Smith is a pocket man. They know the Pokes can't run. So what do they do? In every down they are going to direct everything they've got at Smith. I hope he comes out alive.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

My problem with Smith is ball control, specifically on hand offs. He was turning running backs into pretzels (half the time he almost missed the running backs), dropping the ball during the center exchange, etc. He looks about half a step behind everybody else on the field. I fear he will be the cause of many turnovers against a good Fresno defense. Maybe after working with the first team offense for a week he improves, and I hope he proves me wrong, but it could be a long day if he doesn't clean things up.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 pm break out Vanderwaal
I can't see Bohl yanking Vanderwaal's redshirt this late in the season. I personally have no problem with it (heck no one at Air Force redshirts).
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Monday is when Coach Bohl said he would have an injury report. If it is smith I think he will be better if he gets a full week of works in with the one's. He's been in the program for a while now and I think he can be a game manager which is what we need.

Realistically our offense won't win the game against fresno, it will be our defense regardless of who is at qb.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Nick Smith will do well starting at qb this week.

His throw to Woods was perfect last night. Smith throws the ball a lot better now then when he was a freshman. Plus getting reps all week and not just coming in off of the bench will help him also.

Everyone thinks Allen is great because he has a strong arm that can throw it 75 yards but His accuracy overall has sucked. He completes 56% of his passes and yeah he started the game good last night but overall his accuracy has been very mediocre at best. Doesn't matter if you can throw the ball 75 to 80 yards if you can't hit your target at a high rate.

I think Smith can complete 56% of his passes as well if not more so not even worried about Smith starting. I think the offense will be fine. It can't be any worse than it has been honestly.

Smith will be the starting Qb next year so I'm interested to see what he can do.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm Smith will be the starting Qb next year so I'm interested to see what he can do.
I'm not saying there's not a good chance of this, but Vander Waal will likely compete hard for the spot too.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

dapokes wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm I thought you stopped drinking, Junky...

That's an awful idea.
I didn't thumbs up the idea, I thumbs upped the response to the idea.

I'm not a fan of benching the back up qb for a wr that hasn't played qb since high school.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

CowboyNV wrote:My problem with Smith is ball control, specifically on hand offs. He was turning running backs into pretzels (half the time he almost missed the running backs), dropping the ball during the center exchange, etc. He looks about half a step behind everybody else on the field. I fear he will be the cause of many turnovers against a good Fresno defense. Maybe after working with the first team offense for a week he improves, and I hope he proves me wrong, but it could be a long day if he doesn't clean things up.
It's because he hasn't played. He needs a few reps behind center to get more comfortable and to know where to expect his guys. Hell, Josh is still trying to figure it out with his WRs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dapokes
Ranch Hand

I think nitpicking Smith's ball placement skills is overblown. Dude didn't think he was gonna get a shot at seeing the field again until Josh declares. Let's see what a full week of reps with the 1s looks like. I remember the coaching staff saying he was one of the most improved players in the off-season. Let's just find out. If Josh is a no-go, and Boise controlling their own destiny. Let's just see what we've got to look forward to for next year.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Smith's throws a few years ago made Tim Tebow's knuckle ball look like a spiral. He's clearly improved as his few passes in the Air Force game were tight spirals. With a week to work with the offense, I'm hopeful he'll look much better than he did against Air Force.

I don't see a reason to burn the freshman's redshirt. He may be talented, but he'll get killed with a bad offensive line and no run game.