Any word on Allen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
FresnoStDoggies
Buckaroo

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 am Wyoming will win these last two games whether Josh plays or not.

BYU should have beat them at Fresno a couple weeks ago and UNLV did beat them. The only reason people think they are decent is because of their win over SDSU. While it was a good win you have to remember SDSU was coming off of a big loss to Boise the week before and had a giant hangover going into the Fresno game and basically let Boise beat them twice. If SDSU played Fresno again they would dominate them.
Bulldog fan here. Just chiming in with our perspective. Yes BYU played close, but I dont think there was any point where they "should" have beat us. Someone else said only reason we won is because Mangum got hurt, but that was mid 4th qtr. BYU's big offensive output was through the ground anyways. Not a strong showing by us, but not a real detriment either. As for UNLV, yes that was a really embarrassing loss. This game was coming off of our big win at SDSU, so much like SDSU was in hangover after BSU game, we were in hangover after SDSU game. We got outplayed, but it very easily could have been a different game if not for uncharacteristic mistakes (muffed punt return and high snap on punt, both of which put unlv in the red zone and led to points). I agree that SDSU would likely beat us if we played again, but thankfully we dont! All our wins aside from SDSU are against weak opponents, so Im excited to see how we fare against good competition in wyo and bsu.

Wyoming is not without its close calls to bad or mediocre teams as well. You survived a close call in OT against Hawaii and nearly lost against USU.

I think this game could easily go either way, i'd give you the edge if Allen is healthy (65% wyo win), if not I'd say we are more likely to take it (60% fresno win). Fresno has a lot riding on this game, a chance to clinch west division after not winning a single fbs game last year (if we lose we would have to beat boise to clinch), so expect the dogs to be motivated!
sbbulldog85
Buckaroo

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 am Wyoming will win these last two games whether Josh plays or not.

Wyoming at home in November with our defense will beat Fresno with Smith or Allen at QB. Wyoming will be 9-3 going into the bowl game. You can mark it down.
Wow, I love your optimism but I disagree. Fresno is a really good team with a good defense from the games that I have watched. They are going to tee off on Smith; we will need a creative scheme to just keep Smith upright. I am expecting a lot of read-option/wildcat type plays from our offense. Our defense is great (especially at forcing turnovers) but expecting them to shutout Fresno is a lot to ask. Perhaps we can get a defensive score or two and that would greatly improve our chances.
I'm not trying to be optomistic. I have watched Fresno the last couple weeks and they aren't that good. They are just playing terrible teams and still almost getting beat or getting beat (UNLV). They would have lost to BYU if Magnum didn't get knocked out of the game.

I also think Smith is going to show everyone he is a lot better than people think. Even if he doesn't Fresno will have a lot of trouble scoring against us.
They had a lot of trouble moving the ball against BYU at home.

Wyoming will beat them. Wyoming won't need to score that much to win. 20 points should get it done.
You stated Fresno is just beating terrible teams and they are not very good?
Who has Wyoming defeated this year that does NOT have a losing record?
CSU? and that was during a snow storm, and you won by a FG!
Fresno has the 12th ranked defense in the nation, and leads the conference in sacks.
If Josh does happen to play this weekend he better be prepared to get his uniform dirty.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm I just listened to the press conference and he indicated that he expects to have josh back this week.
Clever wording, "expects", so that Fresno prepares for Allen, not Smith? (although they may not need much prep for Smith - they would just try to bury him, and mostly succeed)
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

sbbulldog85 wrote:

Wyoming at home in November with our defense will beat Fresno with Smith or Allen at QB. Wyoming will be 9-3 going into the bowl game. You can mark it down.
Wow, I love your optimism but I disagree. Fresno is a really good team with a good defense from the games that I have watched. They are going to tee off on Smith; we will need a creative scheme to just keep Smith upright. I am expecting a lot of read-option/wildcat type plays from our offense. Our defense is great (especially at forcing turnovers) but expecting them to shutout Fresno is a lot to ask. Perhaps we can get a defensive score or two and that would greatly improve our chances.
I'm not trying to be optomistic. I have watched Fresno the last couple weeks and they aren't that good. They are just playing terrible teams and still almost getting beat or getting beat (UNLV). They would have lost to BYU if Magnum didn't get knocked out of the game.

I also think Smith is going to show everyone he is a lot better than people think. Even if he doesn't Fresno will have a lot of trouble scoring against us.

Wyoming will beat them. Wyoming won't need to score that much to win. 20 points should get it done.
Fresno has the 12th ranked defense in the nation, and leads the conference in sacks.
If Josh does happen to play this weekend he better be prepared to get his uniform dirty.
Fresno has been interesting to me. They have been great at times like when they whooped a good Aztec team but then turns around and loses to an abysmal unlv team and squeezed out a win against byu (not a good byu team)

I expect this game to be close regardless of who wyo has at qb because Wyoming has had a darn good defense this year as well. Only one time has Wyoming given up more then 24 points and it was to Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

I really hope Josh plays. If we can go 9-3 and he is playing well, I really think we could get a good bowl. Right now, the Sporting news has us in the Cactus bowl vs K State.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

sbbulldog85 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

I never said Wyoming was beating a lot of good teams but the teams Wyoming beats are better than what Fresno is beating or losing to (UNLV). The mountain division is a LOT better overall than the West.
Fresno will be lucky to score 14 points this week. Wyoming has a better defense than Fresno does.

Only way Fresno gets more than that is if Wyoming starts turning the ball over deep in their own territory.
If Allen plays Wyoming will win by double digits.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

FresnoStDoggies wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm

BYU should have beat them at Fresno a couple weeks ago and UNLV did beat them. The only reason people think they are decent is because of their win over SDSU. While it was a good win you have to remember SDSU was coming off of a big loss to Boise the week before and had a giant hangover going into the Fresno game and basically let Boise beat them twice. If SDSU played Fresno again they would dominate them.
Bulldog fan here. Just chiming in with our perspective. Yes BYU played close, but I dont think there was any point where they "should" have beat us. Someone else said only reason we won is because Mangum got hurt, but that was mid 4th qtr. BYU's big offensive output was through the ground anyways. Not a strong showing by us, but not a real detriment either. As for UNLV, yes that was a really embarrassing loss. This game was coming off of our big win at SDSU, so much like SDSU was in hangover after BSU game, we were in hangover after SDSU game. We got outplayed, but it very easily could have been a different game if not for uncharacteristic mistakes (muffed punt return and high snap on punt, both of which put unlv in the red zone and led to points). I agree that SDSU would likely beat us if we played again, but thankfully we dont! All our wins aside from SDSU are against weak opponents, so Im excited to see how we fare against good competition in wyo and bsu.

Wyoming is not without its close calls to bad or mediocre teams as well. You survived a close call in OT against Hawaii and nearly lost against USU.

I think this game could easily go either way, i'd give you the edge if Allen is healthy (65% wyo win), if not I'd say we are more likely to take it (60% fresno win). Fresno has a lot riding on this game, a chance to clinch west division after not winning a single fbs game last year (if we lose we would have to beat boise to clinch), so expect the dogs to be motivated!
Fresno is really good. I disagree with seattlecowboy's evaluation. At least, they are really good within the context of the MWC in 2017, much like Wyoming.

Without Allen at 100%, I would say we are the underdogs in this matchup. Fresno is playing for a division title and their defense is too good to let our anemic ground attack get on track.

I think it will be a hard fought game either way.

Really impressive turnaround for Tedford. Shows what happens when you hire a proven quality coach (SJSU also proves that, just in the opposite direction).
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

phxpoke wrote:I really hope Josh plays. If we can go 9-3 and he is playing well, I really think we could get a good bowl. Right now, the Sporting news has us in the Cactus bowl vs K State.
That would be great.... assuming that any mw team goes to that one

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm
sbbulldog85 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

I never said Wyoming was beating a lot of good teams but the teams Wyoming beats are better than what Fresno is beating or losing to (UNLV). The mountain division is a LOT better overall than the West.
Fresno will be lucky to score 14 points this week. Wyoming has a better defense than Fresno does.

Only way Fresno gets more than that is if Wyoming starts turning the ball over deep in their own territory.
If Allen plays Wyoming will win by double digits.
Fresno is a good team...not sure why you're so convinced Wyoming will walk through them. It's gonna be a close game. If Josh plays I like our chances. If he doesn't, we might be in for a long game.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm Fresno is a good team...not sure why you're so convinced Wyoming will walk through them. It's gonna be a close game. If Josh plays I like our chances. If he doesn't, we might be in for a long game.
While I don't think it'll be an easy game whether Josh plays or not, I think we'll have a pretty decent chance at coming away with the win. I ate crow hardcore when I was convinced we'd lose after Allen left the game on Saturday. Then Smith had that beautiful throw to Woods and the whole team got back on track.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I'm not sure what makes us think we can walk through anyone. Fresno State will be a tough game for us and we better bring our best.....
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

I think Fresno is a decent team for MWC standards but I have been watching them the last few weeks and I think they are regressing somewhat while I think Wyoming has been improving.

Fresno will have a hard time moving the ball. As far as walking through them, not sure where I said that? I said I think Wyoming can win by double digits. By two scores. 10 points? 14 points? I'll stand by this.
Smith will surprise a lot of people if Allen doesn't play. He has really good touch on his throws. Fresno is going to have to hope they get turnovers deep in Wyoming's territory.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm I think Fresno is a decent team for MWC standards but I have been watching them the last few weeks and I think they are regressing somewhat while I think Wyoming has been improving.

Fresno will have a hard time moving the ball. As far as walking through them, not sure where I said that? I said I think Wyoming can win by double digits. By two scores. 10 points? 14 points? I'll stand by this.
Smith will surprise a lot of people if Allen doesn't play. He has really good touch on his throws. Fresno is going to have to hope they get turnovers deep in Wyoming's territory.
Do you remember Nick Smith ‘s extended sample size of gametime in 2015? It wasn’t pretty. He threw one nice pass against Air Force.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm I think Fresno is a decent team for MWC standards but I have been watching them the last few weeks and I think they are regressing somewhat while I think Wyoming has been improving.

Do you remember Nick Smith ‘s extended sample size of gametime in 2015? It wasn’t pretty. He threw one nice pass against Air Force.
Yeah i do. He was a great runner. Terrible passer.

His passing has improved a lot since then.

In my opinion he actually does one thing better than Allen but I won't get into it in this thread cause people will throw a fit.

Guess we will see how it shakes out. I'm sticking by my prediction. If Fresno comes in and beats us my hats off to them and I'll eat crow. I'm confident that won't happen though.

dapokes
Ranch Hand

Fresno fan-

You play in a depleted West Division. Just be glad that Allen got hurt last week because he wants blood with Fresno and his final home game.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

dapokes wrote:Fresno fan-

You play in a depleted West Division. Just be glad that Allen got hurt last week because he wants blood with Fresno and his final home game.
[emoji106]

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I watched the BYU Fresno game. Mangum went down late it the first half. It was sort of a poop show after that. I recall thinking that BYU was going to pound them up until that point. Hell, I think they lost the backup qb as well.

Overall, they probably aren’t as good as their 7-3 record and we probably aren’t either. Our D has shut almost everyone down in the conference and that’s with all the extra possessions our O gives from not possessing the ball longer. The D will need to continue the turnover trend to help out Smith and the O. We’re capable of let downs and I hope if Allen isn’t in there, they ramp it up even more. I say we win 24-17

W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Fresno fans I am here to eat my crow. I said I thought we could win by 10 to 14 points. Thought you would need a turnover deep in our territory maybe two of them to beat us. Well you got one.

Congrats on the win. Good game. Tedford is a good coach and your defense is stout. I hope you guys beat Boise twice. Good luck the rest of the season.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm Fresno fans I am here to eat my crow. I said I thought we could win by 10 to 14 points. Thought you would need a turnover deep in our territory maybe two of them to beat us. Well you got one.

Congrats on the win. Good game. Tedford is a good coach and your defense is stout. I hope you guys beat Boise twice. Good luck the rest of the season.
Fresno got lucky, really. Every break went their way from Josh not playing to the balls bouncing their way to some questionable ball spots. They are not a better team than us
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Allen should not need to play next week. Smith needs the experience and should be an easy win if Vigen permits it.