Special Shout Out to the D!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

This is becoming a weekly thing from me, but can't give these guys enough recognition.

Total destruction! And it couldn't have come against a douchier coach in Davie.

The DL is amazing. Granderson, Prosser, Crall, Lolohea, and Hall wrecked them from the DE position. They got nothing outside. Granderson is, well, an NFL talent. I think Prosser may be, too, with some more lbs.

Good work by the interior DL. They didn't get pushed around at all. mucked things up. Holt is going to be very, very good. Javarree, too.

Our pass coverage is great. We are close to the receivers consistently and we make plays on the ball. Gafford and Hall are really good corners. super impressed with them. Gafford is getting more physical and he wasn't last year. kudos. Epps and Wingard - very steady. Priester has been a good player for 4 years.

#24 was making a lot of plays on special teams. Braden Smith. He's going to be a good player

Man, there was like 10 plays there in a row where we were just maiming them. Vicious tackles everywhere. The D made the lobos quit. Awesome performance. And it's going to be just as good next year, imo
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Scottie Hazelton is a great coach. Seems like the players want to play hard for him. His ability to mask his defense is awesome. Constant movement at the line of scrimmage, zone blitzing, good pressure coverage. The kids are learning pro level schemes
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Agreed about Hazelton. He can defend the read option: Steve Stanards kryptonite. He masks his coverages well, so we have 3 d end interceptions this year, dropping their athleticism into coverage. He generates a poop load of pressure just rushing four. Yeah, a lot of that is personel: best safeties and d ends in the league with a d tackle that gets in the backfield a lot. Still, his schemes are miles ahead of our old sheep dip d.c.

I know we still have a lot of season left this year, but it's hard not to look ahead with this defense.

We have 2 senior starters: Rico Gafford and Jalen Ortiz. We have 2 other seniors in the defensive 2 deep: Robert Priester and Tim Kamana.

We return the entire defensive line, our safeties.....

Barring any unforeseen losses, this defense is going to dominate the MWC over the next few years.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Towards the end the camera showed Coach Bohl all smiles and congratulating Scottie for a great performance. Scottie looked like the game was still in question just as focused as he was in the first quarter. We need to pay him big time in the offseason.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

poke_addict wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:02 pm Towards the end the camera showed Coach Bohl all smiles and congratulating Scottie for a great performance. Scottie looked like the game was still in question just as focused as he was in the first quarter. We need to pay him big time in the offseason.
He's been a great surprise this year, that's for sure! Where last year, we had some good players, we didn't really have a complete defense. This year, we do.

Still need to figure out the run game though.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

My hope is that Scottie will stick around, even if he starts to get "better" job offers. He's bounced around, he's advanced his career from FCS to the MWC to the Pac-12 to the NFL. He's made it back to where he arguably had his most success as a coach....with Craig Bohl. I don't know that there will be the urge to job-hop again, but maybe I'm wrong.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:27 am My hope is that Scottie will stick around, even if he starts to get "better" job offers. He's bounced around, he's advanced his career from FCS to the MWC to the Pac-12 to the NFL. He's made it back to where he arguably had his most success as a coach....with Craig Bohl. I don't know that there will be the urge to job-hop again, but maybe I'm wrong.
It would be nice to know what his career goals are. I doubt he sticks around long, but it would be really nice to see him take over after Bohl retires. He's clearly an exceptional coach.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Doesn't hurt that he's as close to home as he's ever been. Would think that (and the familiarity with Bohl) could keep him around longer than the average assistant.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Pleeese bring it against the Sheeep