How'd we look???

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jtstu53
Buckaroo

Didn't get to see even a minute of the game today. Just curious what everyone thought about our performance and how the team looked. Obviously we need to gel on the O-line and get the running game going, but how is everyone feeling moving forward?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm cautiously optimistic that we improved throughout the game. Way too many O-Line penalties and mistakes, but our receivers largely caught the ball, and our defense was outstanding!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Progress overall our defense was great! We had offensive line issues and josh was pressured way too much but I’m happy with the overall progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Our offense show glimpses of being a coherent, efficient bunch then they show glimpses of wild inexperienced youngsters running around like their hair is on fire. I think they will continue to improve and as the season progresses we will see more of the former and less of the latter. The defense looks like a bunch of men on a mission. Really didnt see too many broken plays (except for that end around WR pass for TD. Not sure what Wingard was doing there....) and the score was closer than the game played out. Outside of a weird fluke TD we stifled almost everything they wanted to do. And forcing 5 turnovers in a game is no joke. I too am cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 amThe defense looks like a bunch of men on a mission. Really didnt see too many broken plays (except for that end around WR pass for TD. Not sure what Wingard was doing there....)
Wingard also just stood there looking on the fake field goal. Even if it had been a kick, just standing there doesn't seem like what he should have been doing. That was his hole to fill as he was one of the closest.

He gets a lot of tackles and gets to the ball quickly, but it sure seems like he lets people run through his arms a lot and that he gets fooled easily too. One play I love him, and the next he leaves me incredibly annoyed.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 amThe defense looks like a bunch of men on a mission. Really didnt see too many broken plays (except for that end around WR pass for TD. Not sure what Wingard was doing there....)
Wingard also just stood there looking on the fake field goal. Even if it had been a kick, just standing there doesn't seem like what he should have been doing. That was his hole to fill as he was one of the closest.

He gets a lot of tackles and gets to the ball quickly, but it sure seems like he lets people run through his arms a lot and that he gets fooled easily too. One play I love him, and the next he leaves me incredibly annoyed.
USU also got an excellent screen from the ref on that fake fg. And my feelings on Wingard are the exact same as yours
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Wingard also seems to have a bad habit of trying to hit a player and knock him off his feet rather than wrapping which most of the time doesn't and the play continues for a few more yards until more help arrives.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 224 times

wyoair wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:59 am
Wingard also seems to have a bad habit of trying to hit a player and knock him off his feet rather than wrapping which most of the time doesn't and the play continues for a few more yards until more help arrives.
He has been able to force a few turnovers (and incompletions) over the past few years with this method. You take the good with the bad. Wingard has a pretty bright future at the next level in my opinion.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:47 am

USU also got an excellent screen from the ref on that fake fg. And my feelings on Wingard are the exact same as yours
The position of that ref really sucked. He totally blocked Cash (think it was Cash) from that tackle. What are you supposed to do in the moment? Tackle the ref into the player? Can you do anything?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

The D was great. Only two touchdowns allowed was on a fake fg and a pass from a non qb

W-Y, Until I Die!
knhendon
Buckaroo

Coming off a bye week - - we looked sluggish.

I'm still surprised on D, how the check down receivers always seem to be open for the other team.

At the end of the day, Go Pokes, we are 4-2 and its always good to win on the road.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am
wyoair wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:59 am
He has been able to force a few turnovers (and incompletions) over the past few years with this method. You take the good with the bad. Wingard has a pretty bright future at the next level in my opinion.
He won't last long in NFL if he doesn't find a better way to tackle. He will get hurt throwing his body into someone like Gronk. He bounced right off the Utah State tight end. Got to get lower and wrap up. The hard hits are great but they are risky and right now it seems the only way Wingard knows how to tackle.
Last edited by Wyolie Coyote on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think sample size is important and you usually only notice when something goes wrong. I think he had 15 tackles in the game.

I think most of the time he’s making sure tackles but when you are in on that many tackles you will not look great on some of them

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 am I think sample size is important and you usually only notice when something goes wrong. I think he had 15 tackles in the game.

I think most of the time he’s making sure tackles but when you are in on that many tackles you will not look great on some of them

You need to watch him closer. He rarely wraps up. He depends on the collision to bring down the ball carrier. It is effective to a degree but eventually will lead to injury IMO.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am You need to watch him closer. He rarely wraps up. He depends on the collision to bring down the ball carrier. It is effective to a degree but eventually will lead to injury IMO.
I thought one of the great improvements we made as a team on D last year was the reduction in the number of "if I bump into him he will fall down" armless tackles. However, they seem to be appearing again.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 am I think sample size is important and you usually only notice when something goes wrong. I think he had 15 tackles in the game.

You need to watch him closer. He rarely wraps up. He depends on the collision to bring down the ball carrier. It is effective to a degree but eventually will lead to injury IMO.
Increases his risk for energy and the potential for big plays downfield which have plagued us before.