West side War Memorial renovation will be pricey....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Campbell County has better aquatic and indoor track facilities than UW has. That is pretty sad, definately need an upgrade. Didn't we have a diver recently who was ranked and he didn't even have a regulation collegiate diving board to practice on? Maybe drop swimming for another sport?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

DVDA wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm
elfletcho wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm
NebraskaCowboy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:04 pm
WilyWapiti wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am If we're talking new facilities, they should include at least a serviceable swim facility. Corbett is completely played out.

ww
Money is the name of the game in college athletics. You don't spend money on ventures that won't make you money unless you have a lot of it sitting around. We don't have excess money sitting around. A new swim facility is so probably so far down the list at this time that its underwater.
Corbett remodel was the #1 Athletics concern in 2012 and this was their ask for the budget session. Then some representative in the state house decided he was going to be smart and ignored that request. Guess what we got instead? Well he decided to use Abandoned Mine Land funds for the Arena Remodel. That summer the feds said WTF are you using AML money for a damned basketball arena and froze all the money we were supposed to get for AML that year. AA remodel got delayed,split into two phases and they then had to raise the money to do it. Corbett got hosed all because some politician in the state house got smart. We had completed the first early phase of planning for a new Natatorium. Would have expanded Corbett out into the parking lot south of the building and done some remodeling in the existing building.

Also, I would estimate it would take at least $15 million to demo the fieldhouse. It's an old building filled with stuff the EPA says you just can't toss and those ain't cheap to get rid of.
Why does anyone care about a swimming pool? That's a waste of money. They get what they get. They need to deal with it until they bring in money for the university.
You know football (at the vast majority of FBS schools, not just here) operates in the red, right? 15-16 (latest numbers I could find) was over a million in the hole
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

The west side of the stadium is to the point where it is downright embarrassing. During the Oregon game I was talking to some of their fans and they noted how cool our stadium is for a small school, minus the fact that the west side concessions and facilities of the stadium looks like something from the 1950s. It’s a glaring defect in an otherwise decent facility.

As cool as the field house is, it needs to go. Tear it down, rebuild the replacement further to the south west, and incorporate a better overall experience to get to the stadium.

Like others have said, it’s not going to get any cheaper the longer we wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

marcuswyo wrote:Campbell County has better aquatic and indoor track facilities than UW has. That is pretty sad, definately need an upgrade. Didn't we have a diver recently who was ranked and he didn't even have a regulation collegiate diving board to practice on? Maybe drop swimming for another sport?
Hell, Laramie high school’s new aquatic facility is thousands of times better than anything at UW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

They need to renovate housing first and foremost. We need to grow our enrollment.

Another idea for raising cash, build a horse training facility for elevation training of race horses. Low overhead, probably not a ton of income, but if just one horse won the derby that trained at the track, the place would become a madhouse of horse trainers.

See if Carhartt wants the naming rights.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Olympic / Long Course pools are hard to come by. Put one at 7220, and it has special draw because swimmers are repetition / endurance athletes. Just like the tracksters like to train at altitude, so would the big time swimmers who are often just down the road in Colorado Springs anyway.

The best college swimming facility in the region is at Colorado Mesa University. You heard that right - the former Mesa State.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:07 pm Campbell County has better aquatic and indoor track facilities than UW has. That is pretty sad, definately need an upgrade. Didn't we have a diver recently who was ranked and he didn't even have a regulation collegiate diving board to practice on? Maybe drop swimming for another sport?
Corbett pool has 2 diving boards, a 1 meter and a 3 meter, they are both regulation size. However, Division I also does platform diving which not only does UW not have, I am pretty sure there isn't a platform structure in the entire state of Wyoming. When I was in school, if the divers ever wanted to practice platform, they would have to drive down to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and use their facility.

Certainly not ideal.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 am
marcuswyo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:07 pm Campbell County has better aquatic and indoor track facilities than UW has. That is pretty sad, definately need an upgrade. Didn't we have a diver recently who was ranked and he didn't even have a regulation collegiate diving board to practice on? Maybe drop swimming for another sport?
Corbett pool has 2 diving boards, a 1 meter and a 3 meter, they are both regulation size. However, Division I also does platform diving which not only does UW not have, I am pretty sure there isn't a platform structure in the entire state of Wyoming. When I was in school, if the divers ever wanted to practice platform, they would have to drive down to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and use their facility.

Certainly not ideal.
There is a platform in the new Laramie high pool. It's ridiculous that the good citizens of Albany county had to pay for something like that, not to mention that grand auditorium when there are how many comparable ones already in this town? Gov spending is out of control.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am

Certainly not ideal.
There is a platform in the new Laramie high pool. It's ridiculous that the good citizens of Albany county had to pay for something like that, not to mention that grand auditorium when there are how many comparable ones already in this town? Gov spending is out of control.
Thanks for the info, I have not seen their new pool so I was unaware of that. I googled some pictures and it looks like they have a 3 meter and a 5 meter platform, but not the standard 10 meter that is the most commonly used at the collegiate level.

It is crazy that they added a platform to the high school pool when it isn't competed at the high school level. I'm assuming it will mainly be used at the club and college level.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Erroneous.

The good citizens of Albany County voted on a bond issue for all of that...or those enhancements wouldn't be there.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Certainly not ideal.
Thanks for the info, I have not seen their new pool so I was unaware of that. I googled some pictures and it looks like they have a 3 meter and a 5 meter platform, but not the standard 10 meter that is the most commonly used at the collegiate level.

It is crazy that they added a platform to the high school pool when it isn't competed at the high school level. I'm assuming it will mainly be used at the club and college level.
Also of note on the LHS pool is that that they built it so badly that there was too much variation in distance between the far lanes that they had to redo the pool to get it accepted for competition.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SnowyRange wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm
Erroneous.

The good citizens of Albany County voted on a bond issue for all of that...or those enhancements wouldn't be there.
I remember that, actually. Thanks for correcting me. I was in Lander during that time. I don't know who coerced everyone to vote yes for this. shm. The gym in that facility is an embarrassment while the theatre is immaculate. Just reveals the demographic makeup of Laramie, I guess.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

elfletcho wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Certainly not ideal.

Also of note on the LHS pool is that that they built it so badly that there was too much variation in distance between the far lanes that they had to redo the pool to get it accepted for competition.
What a monumental mistake not to put a 10m platform. If we're going to build a platform (useless to high schoolers) why not build one that at least someone can use? Holy crap. Who makes decisions on this stuff?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am. The gym in that facility is an embarrassment while the theatre is immaculate. Just reveals the demographic makeup of Laramie, I guess.
Why is it a problem to have a nice theatre? Is there a relationship between demographics and culture somehow? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather go to 6 football games than go to the same art museum six times, but I also don't want to be the guy who's completely one-dimensional and only cares about sports.

(and yes, I do realize that many Fine Arts professors despise the amount of money spent on athletics - but that probably means they're on the opposite side of the spectrum, yet still completely one-dimensional)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am. The gym in that facility is an embarrassment while the theatre is immaculate. Just reveals the demographic makeup of Laramie, I guess.
Why is it a problem to have a nice theatre? Is there a relationship between demographics and culture somehow? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather go to 6 football games than go to the same art museum six times, but I also don't want to be the guy who's completely one-dimensional and only cares about sports.

(and yes, I do realize that many Fine Arts professors despise the amount of money spent on athletics - but that probably means they're on the opposite side of the spectrum, yet still completely one-dimensional)
I can count at least 3 other theatres in town that the high school could have used for their productions if they need a gigantic theatre. It was completely unnecessary to build a 3,000 seat, nice auditorium. A regular auditorium would have been more than adequate for the purposes of a Wyoming high school.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

I can count at least 3 other theatres in town that the high school could have used for their productions if they need a gigantic theatre. It was completely unnecessary to build a 3,000 seat, nice auditorium. A regular auditorium would have been more than adequate for the purposes of a Wyoming high school.
An auditorium is for more than just theater. Your choir and band performances occur there as well. To rely on a third party auditorium would be a nightmare for your music educators and their classes. Do you bus the kids to those places for your rehearsals during class? Now I don't know maybe a a Versailles was built in Laramie, but I don't agree that the high school should rely on third party auditoriums. You can have strong arts and sports.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

An auditorium is for more than just theater. Your choir and band performances occur there as well. To rely on a third party auditorium would be a nightmare for your music educators and their classes. Do you bus the kids to those places for your rehearsals during class? Now I don't know maybe a a Versailles was built in Laramie, but I don't agree that the high school should rely on third party auditoriums. You can have strong arts and sports.
It is a Versailles that was built in Laramie. You seriously have got to see it with your own eyes. All I'm saying is that a standard, normal, run-of-the-mill, adequate auditorium should have been built (same goes for the pool). What was built in Laramie in terms of the auditorium and pool are over-the-top stupid nice and completely unnecessary and a waste of money.

and be it known I occasionally go the symphony orchestra concerts and jazz concerts at UW. I appreciate the arts as much as the next guy.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

http://www.usengineering.com/wp-content ... 95x400.jpg

Awesome auditorium

http://www.usengineering.com/wp-content ... ol-Gym.jpg

POS gym

imo completely backwards. Should have made the gym nice.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm and be it known I occasionally go the symphony orchestra concerts and jazz concerts at UW. I appreciate the arts as much as the next guy.
I hope I didn't come off as judgmental in that regard - if I did, I'm sorry. I agree it's ridiculous if a high school's got a luxury setup rather than having a functional one that isn't in danger of falling apart anytime soon.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm and be it known I occasionally go the symphony orchestra concerts and jazz concerts at UW. I appreciate the arts as much as the next guy.
I hope I didn't come off as judgmental in that regard - if I did, I'm sorry. I agree it's ridiculous if a high school's got a luxury setup rather than having a functional one that isn't in danger of falling apart anytime soon.
you're good. It's good to enjoy all sorts of stuff. That's why I enjoy living in Laramie.