West side War Memorial renovation will be pricey....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

You can listen to an interview with Tom Burman here. In it he discusses the west side of War Memorial and the costs to improve that side of the stadium. That project is next.

https://www.kfbcradio.com/wyoming-ad-to ... one-audio/

According to Burman, the infrastructure isn't there to support the amount of people we can fit in the stadium: concessions, restrooms, entrances, electrical, plumbing...weren't designed for the modern football experience. The cost estimate just to improve those support structures is between 30-60 million, and according to Burman, it's going to be very hard to raise that kind of money for concessions, press box, wiring, plumbing, and other items that aren't the deed but are absolutely necessary. Even after spending that 30-60 million, we're still not going to have the necessary amount of concessions/restrooms/entrances to make the fan experience pleasant.

We desperately need new revenue streams for UW athletics. Would a new west side structure with a new press box, new luxury boxes, club seating/lodge boxes(more revenue streams) be feasible? I know we would have to tear down the Field House in order to build a new structure on the west side of War Memorial. If we already need 60 million to just get the west side up to code, wouldn't it be better to spend that 60 million on actually improving the fan experience while opening revenue streams for UW athletics?

What do you think Poke fans? Should we spend 30-60 million to make the West side moderately nicer? Or should we use the 60 million and whatever else it takes to tear down the Field House and build a west side luxury box/club seating/press box structure IN ADDITION to a new building to replace the Field House?

There's a reason why we've punted the west side project down the line over and over again for the last 10 years. It's the hardest one to figure out, and the solutions are going to be very costly.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Here's a view of the War, just to help you understand why tearing down the Field House would be necessary to build a new structure on the west side of the War.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

You know the answer to your own question. Half-ass comes to mind.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

I'd be incredibly sad to see the Field House go. Lots of history there, and my great grandfather was one of the architects.

That being said, if they really want to fix the problems and not just half-ass something to "make do", there is only one option.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm You know the answer to your own question. Half-ass comes to mind.
Yeah, I'm expecting half ass. I'm going to need to win the power ball so I can contribute 100 million to be matched by the state and other CJC members on a 1 by 1 by 1 basis. ;)

If I do win the power ball then expect phase 3 of the AA, a new Field House, a new west side structure, an olympic swimming pool, and a multi level parking garage where the old tailgate area is located. :thumb:

National Champions 1943.

I do.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Shoulda built a dome before we built IPF.!!! A lot of revenue streams would come from a dome.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Mr Gorbachev err Burman tear down that field house!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

but just like every other thing with the gov't, kick the can down the road, put band aids on things and then wonder why it fell down because of neglect. Nothing gets cheaper by waiting, but that's the proverbial kicking the can down the road, wish I could get away with that on bills, etc...sometimes
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Cuttslam wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm You know the answer to your own question. Half-ass comes to mind.
Isn't that Burman's middle name, Halfassed?
gopokes1399
Blog Team

The field house serves a lot of purpose still. If they tear it down they would have to rebuild something similar
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It’s a bad time to be needing money in the state of Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

If we're talking new facilities, they should include at least a serviceable swim facility. Corbett is completely played out.

ww
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

WilyWapiti wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am If we're talking new facilities, they should include at least a serviceable swim facility. Corbett is completely played out.

ww
Money is the name of the game in college athletics. You don't spend money on ventures that won't make you money unless you have a lot of it sitting around. We don't have excess money sitting around. A new swim facility is probably so far down the list at this time that its underwater.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Not that it matters, but if we put all the War renovation costs together, does anyone know the total?

Again, I know there is no way to get all the money at once. I was just curious how far off the new stadium price we would be instead of renovating.

Probably still a long ways, lol.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

NebraskaCowboy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:04 pm
WilyWapiti wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am If we're talking new facilities, they should include at least a serviceable swim facility. Corbett is completely played out.

ww
Money is the name of the game in college athletics. You don't spend money on ventures that won't make you money unless you have a lot of it sitting around. We don't have excess money sitting around. A new swim facility is so probably so far down the list at this time that its underwater.
Corbett remodel was the #1 Athletics concern in 2012 and this was their ask for the budget session. Then some representative in the state house decided he was going to be smart and ignored that request. Guess what we got instead? Well he decided to use Abandoned Mine Land funds for the Arena Remodel. That summer the feds said WTF are you using AML money for a damned basketball arena and froze all the money we were supposed to get for AML that year. AA remodel got delayed,split into two phases and they then had to raise the money to do it. Corbett got hosed all because some politician in the state house got smart. We had completed the first early phase of planning for a new Natatorium. Would have expanded Corbett out into the parking lot south of the building and done some remodeling in the existing building.

Also, I would estimate it would take at least $15 million to demo the fieldhouse. It's an old building filled with stuff the EPA says you just can't toss and those ain't cheap to get rid of.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

elfletcho wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm

ww
Money is the name of the game in college athletics. You don't spend money on ventures that won't make you money unless you have a lot of it sitting around. We don't have excess money sitting around. A new swim facility is so probably so far down the list at this time that its underwater.
Corbett remodel was the #1 Athletics concern in 2012 and this was their ask for the budget session. Then some representative in the state house decided he was going to be smart and ignored that request. Guess what we got instead? Well he decided to use Abandoned Mine Land funds for the Arena Remodel. That summer the feds said WTF are you using AML money for a damned basketball arena and froze all the money we were supposed to get for AML that year. AA remodel got delayed,split into two phases and they then had to raise the money to do it. Corbett got hosed all because some politician in the state house got smart. We had completed the first early phase of planning for a new Natatorium. Would have expanded Corbett out into the parking lot south of the building and done some remodeling in the existing building.

Also, I would estimate it would take at least $15 million to demo the fieldhouse. It's an old building filled with stuff the EPA says you just can't toss and those ain't cheap to get rid of.
Why does anyone care about a swimming pool? That's a waste of money. They get what they get. They need to deal with it until they bring in money for the university.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:48 pm You can listen to an interview with Tom Burman here. In it he discusses the west side of War Memorial and the costs to improve that side of the stadium. That project is next.

https://www.kfbcradio.com/wyoming-ad-to ... one-audio/

According to Burman, the infrastructure isn't there to support the amount of people we can fit in the stadium: concessions, restrooms, entrances, electrical, plumbing...weren't designed for the modern football experience. The cost estimate just to improve those support structures is between 30-60 million, and according to Burman, it's going to be very hard to raise that kind of money for concessions, press box, wiring, plumbing, and other items that aren't the deed but are absolutely necessary. Even after spending that 30-60 million, we're still not going to have the necessary amount of concessions/restrooms/entrances to make the fan experience pleasant.

We desperately need new revenue streams for UW athletics. Would a new west side structure with a new press box, new luxury boxes, club seating/lodge boxes(more revenue streams) be feasible? I know we would have to tear down the Field House in order to build a new structure on the west side of War Memorial. If we already need 60 million to just get the west side up to code, wouldn't it be better to spend that 60 million on actually improving the fan experience while opening revenue streams for UW athletics?

What do you think Poke fans? Should we spend 30-60 million to make the West side moderately nicer? Or should we use the 60 million and whatever else it takes to tear down the Field House and build a west side luxury box/club seating/press box structure IN ADDITION to a new building to replace the Field House?

There's a reason why we've punted the west side project down the line over and over again for the last 10 years. It's the hardest one to figure out, and the solutions are going to be very costly.
It really sucks that WMS is essentially landlocked, which limits what can be done. Not to mention the age and condition of part of the facility.

It would be more money, but I almost wonder if a new facility would allow for a better finished product. Unfortunately, I can't see that happening either.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

DVDA wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm
elfletcho wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm

ww

Why does anyone care about a swimming pool? That's a waste of money. They get what they get. They need to deal with it until they bring in money for the university.
By that logic, might as well get rid of swimming/diving, soccer, track and field, golf, tennis, and cross country.

That pool is archaic, there are several D2 universities with nicer facilities.

The benefit to upgrading the facility would be the ability to utilize the facility for other swim meets at the club, high school, collegiate and regional level. I think it would also be very beneficial in conjunction with the HAPC to attract world-class swimmers for altitude training. Also, it would be a benefit to both the general student body as well as the city of Laramie.

In a world where money wasn't an issue, I'd say tear down the West stands and fieldhouse. Build a new stand along with a new fieldhouse and put the pool in the same building. Then tear down the pool in Corbett and use that space for parking or something on the educational side.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

gopokes1399 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 am The field house serves a lot of purpose still. If they tear it down they would have to rebuild something similar
Did you even read my post? That's already been discussed.

Still, we need to do it, or we'll forever curse the season ticket holders on the West side(the majority of season ticket holders) to crappy support facilities, extremely long lines, crowded entrances/exits, and bath rooms that smell like the Buckhorn piss sauna the day after Halloween.

They could actually complete the drive for 5000 if they made the fan experience on the west side pleasant. I got really good season tickets this year, and I'm asking myself why? When I used to sit in the back of the student section, the support facilities on that side of the stadium are way better than the West side hell hole.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 amThey could actually complete the drive for 5000 if they made the fan experience on the west side pleasant. I got really good season tickets this year, and I'm asking myself why? When I used to sit in the back of the student section, the support facilities on that side of the stadium are way better than the West side hell hole.
This is a point that should be brought up. If a renovation would directly result in a season ticket sales increase, it needs to be dealt with.

I've not been to WMS, but it sounds like a pretty significant issue.

Would there be a way to, while tearing down the fieldhouse, build a structure on that side that would still provide at least some of the same things the fieldhouse has?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo