James Price

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I believe he will be a difference maker for this offense. I was lookin up stats and saw that he was majoring in chemical engineering!?! I love smart football players and especially those at the receiver position. Being a D1 football player and an engineering major is just amazing considering the time commitment. Non-engineering majors have no idea.

Price ran a great route and created some space on the overtime touchdown; just what the doctor ordered for Josh Allen.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

We've had some pretty decent athletes come through the college of engineering, and they've shown their brains on the pitch. JJ Raterink obviously made a career in the Arena Football League, and he somehow graduated with a 4.0 from UW and was close to being selected a Rhodes Scholar. Probably one of the better backup QBs we've ever had.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Chase Roullier has a degree in mechanical engineering. Shows that intelligence plays a big part of being a good football player.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

Price, okwoli, conway and a freshman should play wr, johnson might think about special teams and should ride pine for his performances this year. It wasnt just this game his drive ending drops killed us. Also, TEs did well and we should get them more involved.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Wyoklaelk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:09 am johnson might think about special teams and should ride pine for his performances this year. It wasnt just this game his drive ending drops killed us.
Definitely not. He likely should have caught every single one of the balls thrown his way. Yeah, one of them looked tough, but that was because he didn't even try to adjust to the ball - he just waited for it and let the defenders crowd him.

If he catches just 4 of the 5, Allen is 13 of 19 instead, which looks way better than 9/19. Obviously it likely would've meant even more pass attempts too, but still.

I feel like I'm especially picking on CJ, but it's pretty damn disappointing when I had such high hopes for him. Okwoli is a 3 star guy with one fewer year under his belt, and he can actually catch the ball! Too bad Justice Murphy couldn't deal with being in Laramie, I think he could've been good too.

Does anybody know how Parker Dumas has looked in practices?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:18 am
Wyoklaelk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:09 am johnson might think about special teams and should ride pine for his performances this year. It wasnt just this game his drive ending drops killed us.
Definitely not. He likely should have caught every single one of the balls thrown his way. Yeah, one of them looked tough, but that was because he didn't even try to adjust to the ball - he just waited for it and let the defenders crowd him.

If he catches just 4 of the 5, Allen is 13 of 19 instead, which looks way better than 9/19. Obviously it likely would've meant even more pass attempts too, but still.

I feel like I'm especially picking on CJ, but it's pretty damn disappointing when I had such high hopes for him. Okwoli is a 3 star guy with one fewer year under his belt, and he can actually catch the ball! Too bad Justice Murphy couldn't deal with being in Laramie, I think he could've been good too.

Does anybody know how Parker Dumas has looked in practices?
The sad thing is, when Johnson played last year, he actually seemed to be a pretty solid WR. Decent size, speed, and solid hands. Not sure what happened since.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Dumas is not with the team right now. He may return next year. I think CJ is a good third option, the pressure seems to get to him when he's the main guy. Outside of Price it looks like Bohl has whiffed on receivers (he lucked into Conway, not really his recruit).
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:Chase Roullier has a degree in mechanical engineering. Shows that intelligence plays a big part of being a good football player.
All American lineman and an engineering degree. That right there discredits what Rosen from ucla said about not being able to play football and get an education. Some people are just more driven I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

I hope the kid johnson takes all the rippings from everyone and says "oh ya, watch this!" I hope he can look to jerry rice's first games and take that hard work and concentration can get you out of this. Determination is a personal fortitude that shines best in adversity. So far, he has 4 games of drops are all that i remember, i hope he is determined to rectify this as rice did....
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyoklaelk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am I hope the kid johnson takes all the rippings from everyone and says "oh ya, watch this!" I hope he can look to jerry rice's first games and take that hard work and concentration can get you out of this. Determination is a personal fortitude that shines best in adversity. So far, he has 4 games of drops are all that i remember, i hope he is determined to rectify this as rice did....
He's no Jerry Rice.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

wyokoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:23 pm
Wyoklaelk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am I hope the kid johnson takes all the rippings from everyone and says "oh ya, watch this!" I hope he can look to jerry rice's first games and take that hard work and concentration can get you out of this. Determination is a personal fortitude that shines best in adversity. So far, he has 4 games of drops are all that i remember, i hope he is determined to rectify this as rice did....
He's no Jerry Rice.
Agreed, but he has been open and dropped easy passes, just need him to catch them....
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

If I remember correctly, Herron had a huge case of the drops early in his career. He obviously got over it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:53 pm If I remember correctly, Herron had a huge case of the drops early in his career. He obviously got over it.

I think you're right, I think that's why he played the sort of role Conway had last year his freshman year
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I don't really get the Herron and CJ Johnson comparisons. Yes, Herron had the drops. However, Herron had elite speed and could get open based on his physical gifts alone (he burned the Texas corners). CJ Johnson does not have elite speed and will have to be sure handed to be a good receiver; right now, this is nowhere close to the case.

Speaking of Herron, can you imagine if Josh Allen had him to throw to? That would be fun to watch.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Like I said in another thread. Johnson will be good. He's in a funk. We don't want people judging Allen's ability by last 4 games so I'll extend Johnson the same latitude. He has played poorly so far. Allen has too with no help from anyone.

We all knew Price was a big loss to start the season, i didn't think there was that much separation between the WRs but it's clear Price is #1 and he's more valuable to team than I thought

W-Y, Until I Die!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:06 pm I don't really get the Herron and CJ Johnson comparisons. Yes, Herron had the drops. However, Herron had elite speed and could get open based on his physical gifts alone (he burned the Texas corners). CJ Johnson does not have elite speed and will have to be sure handed to be a good receiver; right now, this is nowhere close to the case.

Speaking of Herron, can you imagine if Josh Allen had him to throw to? That would be fun to watch.
I thought Wyoming football arrived under DC those very plays Herron silenced the crowd in Austin. He also was wide open on ball that smith over threw that would have totally changed the outcome of that game.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I never said CJ was the next Herron. Just that we've had some pretty good receivers that had a case of the drops as well.

Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:53 pm If I remember correctly, Herron had a huge case of the drops early in his career. He obviously got over it.

Actually he never did.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Cuttslam wrote:

Actually he never did.
I remember Herron having drops as well. I think his senior year was pretty solid

W-Y, Until I Die!
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 am We've had some pretty decent athletes come through the college of engineering, and they've shown their brains on the pitch. JJ Raterink obviously made a career in the Arena Football League, and he somehow graduated with a 4.0 from UW and was close to being selected a Rhodes Scholar. Probably one of the better backup QBs we've ever had.
Dax Crum has a PhD in Electrical Engineering from UT Austin.