Hawaii game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Only took 5 quarters for a great pass, Josh is in his own head and he clearly isn't forgetting about previous games.

Soon as he quits dwelling on prior losses he will get out of this funk. His confidence is absolutely shot right now.
Last edited by Wyo2dal on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

cali2wyo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 am
PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:59 pm
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:58 pm We found a way! Great effort from the cowboys tonight. Improvements needed but we saw improvement tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woods is the future!! We have a big back again
Hawaii isn't a great defense, and were missing 3 interior linemen due to suspension. But I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll develop nicely
For real?? Who were the three that were suspended?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Shout out to Trey Woods! I see a little B. Hill in him for real. He hits the hole and doesn't screw around
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 am Only took 5 quarters for a great pass, Josh is in his own head and he clearly isn't forgetting about previous games.

Soon as he quits dwelling on prior losses he will get out of this funk. His confidence is absolutely shot right now.
It's hard to get in a rhythm when there are so many drops. I suggest finding those TEs. They've proven to have great hands imo and are almost always wide open
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It's a good day whenever the pokes win and this is the kind of game Christensen would manage to lose 10/10 times. It was a gritty showing that required us to execute when we had to. We need to improve and I feel confident as price and woods get reps in practice and games that the offense will continue to improve

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:15 am I don't know how we won that game. Feels like the defense played a million snaps. Gritty performance by them. Our offense is anemic and crappy for the most part. Offense has got to get it figured out or we are screwed.

Has anyone else noticed that everything in the running game goes up the middle and everything in the passing game goes to the sidelines? No quick slants, no RBs releasing to the middle for a quick pass, rarely a TE running a seam in between the hashes, no FB involvement whatsoever. Vigen's offense sucks so so so so bad and is so predictable and lame. I've seen enough of his offense. We finally have a good D and Vigen gives us a dog puke offense. ugh
The final stats showed Hawaii had the ball for 40 minutes to our 20. They ran 79 plays to our 48. They really pushed our front 7 around. If not for the kick return and a pick, we lose that game. We were completely outplayed. To the old farts on the board, doesn't Woods remind you of Eric Dickerson? The upright running style and acceleration once he gets into the secondary. I wonder if he can catch passes to?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:15 am I don't know how we won that game. Feels like the defense played a million snaps. Gritty performance by them. Our offense is anemic and crappy for the most part. Offense has got to get it figured out or we are screwed.

Has anyone else noticed that everything in the running game goes up the middle and everything in the passing game goes to the sidelines? No quick slants, no RBs releasing to the middle for a quick pass, rarely a TE running a seam in between the hashes, no FB involvement whatsoever. Vigen's offense sucks so so so so bad and is so predictable and lame. I've seen enough of his offense. We finally have a good D and Vigen gives us a dog puke offense. ugh
The final stats showed Hawaii had the ball for 40 minutes to our 20. They ran 79 plays to our 48. They really pushed our front 7 around. If not for the kick return and a pick, we lose that game. We were completely outplayed. To the old farts on the board, doesn't Woods remind you of Eric Dickerson? The upright running style and acceleration once he gets into the secondary. I wonder if he can catch passes to?
Those were all huge plays that we had to make. The run back was huge for the good guys. Turnovers were the biggest difference in the game.

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 am
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:58 pm We found a way! Great effort from the cowboys tonight. Improvements needed but we saw improvement tonight

Hawaii isn't a great defense, and were missing 3 interior linemen due to suspension. But I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll develop nicely
http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsno ... d=f9Dsvdpm

I'm too lazy to look up their depth chart, but based off stats it looks like all 3 were in the rotation. We definitely need to pump the brakes with all this talk about finding a run game last night
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote:

I'm too lazy to look up their depth chart, but based off stats it looks like all 3 were in the rotation. We definitely need to pump the brakes with all this talk about finding a run game last night
You take what ever optimism you can and you run with it. We have improved running the ball and am just happy to see progress regardless who it was against. G Webb running was atrocious and this was night and day better

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Exactly, we take the positives that we can and build on those. Like Trey Woods basically earning the starting spot at RB and being our first back to hit the century mark in one game this season.

Price may have only had the one catch, but he looked by far better than just about anyone else barring Conway.

CJ Johnson needs a refresher course in catching. Last season, the few times he was on the field, he looked solid. But it seems like he's gone backwards this season.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Yards per rush against Gardner-Webb: 2.3
Yards per rush against Hawai'i: 6.1

Don't try to tell me what those 3 missing Hawai'i lineman made them a worse defense than Garder-Webb. We saw some improvement in the run game. It's ok to be positive about a thing or two, it doesn't mean you're satisfied.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

fromolwyoming wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am Exactly, we take the positives that we can and build on those. Like Trey Woods basically earning the starting spot at RB and being our first back to hit the century mark in one game this season.

Price may have only had the one catch, but he looked by far better than just about anyone else barring Conway.

CJ Johnson needs a refresher course in catching. Last season, the few times he was on the field, he looked solid. But it seems like he's gone backwards this season.
except for when he dropped that pass that could have led to us winning a conf championship. I'
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:43 am
cali2wyo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 amHawaii isn't a great defense, and were missing 3 interior linemen due to suspension. But I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll develop nicely
Moala is the only starter, but the other two were on the two-deep.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote:Yards per rush against Gardner-Webb: 2.3
Yards per rush against Hawai'i: 6.1

Don't try to tell me what those 3 missing Hawai'i lineman made them a worse defense than Garder-Webb. We saw some improvement in the run game. It's ok to be positive about a thing or two, it doesn't mean you're satisfied.
It's all about progress and not perfection. Agreed

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

The w is always the most important. Special teams played well. Good to be 2 wins with a struggling opponent up next.

If I'm honest, though, I'm a bit more concerned after that game. Concerned for the season, not direction of program.

That is a terrible defense and our o still looked bad. I think we'll continue to improve and be playing better. However, we have a long ways to go. usu game is critical for bowl eligibility. We are fortunate to have 3 terrible teams and 1 bad team left on the schedule.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:The w is always the most important. Special teams played well. Good to be 2 wins with a struggling opponent up next.

If I'm honest, though, I'm a bit more concerned after that game. Concerned for the season, not direction of program.

That is a terrible defense and our o still looked bad. I think we'll continue to improve and be playing better. However, we have a long ways to go. usu game is critical for bowl eligibility. We are fortunate to have 3 terrible teams and 1 bad team left on the schedule.
I see it this way. Price was just cleared this week but may take a few weeks to get into the swing of things. Woods wasn't even practicing with the running backs until the second week of games so he will learn the playbook more. I think things are looking up despite not being as good as we want them to be

SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I have the same observations as all of you. The offense is a problem. Seeing it in person, I can't believe all the dropped passes. Defensive line got no push. Woods looked good. And the pulled pork in the Wildcatters suites was amazing.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

We are improving each game and are sitting 2-2 with a very winnable game this Saturday. Plus, we have SJSU and Fresno on our schedule this year.

Price will be a nice weapon going forward. Hope to get Fort back soon to see what he can do. Josh needs to start making better throws. And CJ Johnson needs to start catching the ball. I think his bout with mono has really affected him.

Go Pokes!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

we didn't have the ball much as they totally controlled the game but that kickoff return was stellar and yes Price FINALLY caught a pass, it was an exciting ending but 92 total yards passing and a defense that still can't stop a cold, I sure hope the adjustments are shown and this actually wakes these guys up and we totally throttle Texas State this upcoming weekend, it was fun tho, love night games in Laramie it was really nice!!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I liked how the defense bent but didn't break. Our red zone d really steps it up a notch. It's hard to expect much more when the offense was anemic for most of the game.